Gourmet - "high quality" food shopping

Hi All,

I have been searching for decent food / supermarket outlets could anyone point me in the right direction. I am generally looking for typically poshy high end products spoken about on the likes of MasterChef and the myriad of other Foody - gastro documentaries.

I love cooking (and eating) - preferrably organic or terroir type grub and woud like to get  hold the following;

Organic meat or even perhaps free range. Lamb?
Decent balsamic vinegar. The stuff you'd put on strawberry's not your chips.
Anything from a decent Italian deli.

So my thoughts so far on the supermarkets I have been to

- Lasco, looks like they're a sales outlet for Carrefour. Bit low end - fairly cheap for basics
- Lidl - great for some things, wine, organic milk and cold cuts. Limited choice
- Scotts, famed for its butchers, same as Lasco but reselling Conad. The butchers section wasn't nice, seemed to be cheap meat covered in chemical marinades. Chicken looks like Schwarzenegger it was so full of growth hormone.
- Smart - better, they had a Halal meat section that looked alright and fish section looked good. The organic section seemed to be confusing itself with a pet store selling bird seed. Best so far.
- Pavi - big. Good seafood, not so much organic stuff. Very busy!

Any suggestions for the dreadful food snob?

There is a great Italian shop in St Francis Square, Victoria - sells very good quality Italian food items

Gozo? I'll check it out next time I am over, thanks

Hi Joe!
I have been here for only a week and it seems to me that Malta doesn't offer what you are looking for!
Today I went to Tigne Point shopping centre and there is a small supermarket called CHAIN. It reminded me of a Sainsbury in the UK.
What vinegar brand are you looking for?
Good luck food hunting! ;-)
S.

Avoid disappointment. Become a vegetarian :D

redmik wrote:

Avoid disappointment. Become a vegetarian :D

the thought had crossed my mind.  Maybe a vegetarian with the old bit of fish. A fisharian.

pescatarian :-)

georgeingozo wrote:

there must be a variation on this one GnG for those who just drink beer

There is a fine food shop in Rue D'Argens Gzira. They may stock some of the things you are looking for. They don't have a butchers, but have a selection of cooked meats and cheeses and probably would sell a decent Balsamic. I see they have a website if you want to search for it on the Web.

I have also seen a new small shop near the bottom of D'Argens in Msida which looks like it may sell similar finer things. I have not been in it yet, and cannot recall the name, but it looks an attractive shop. I will try and remember to check it out next time I am down that way.

Charley

The shop you mentioned is called the white sheep (http://www.thewhitesheep.eu/)

georgeingozo wrote:

That's me and Lynn, haven't knowingly eaten meat for 20 years.
A bit upsetting for Lynn when we found out that they put beef in the pastizzi tal pizelli at Caffe Cordina in Valletta and then I found out they put bacon in them at Stephen's in Xaghra.
We learned and ask all the time now.

pevi wrote:

The shop you mentioned is called the white sheep (http://www.thewhitesheep.eu/)

excellent! insanely overpriced grub, just what what i was looking for. No sarcasm intended. Ta

redmik wrote:
georgeingozo wrote:

That's me and Lynn, haven't knowingly eaten meat for 20 years.
A bit upsetting for Lynn when we found out that they put beef in the pastizzi tal pizelli at Caffe Cordina in Valletta and then I found out they put bacon in them at Stephen's in Xaghra.
We learned and ask all the time now.

You're lucky its not hormone packed horse meat!

I am definitely considering going that way. Perhaps a marsaxlokkarian?

Hi :)

Why don't you try the supermarket there is at Portomaso? Arkadia?  They have some selective goods.  They don't have lots of different brands for the same product, however have most of the English brands.  And if you don't find what you are looking for, you can always ask.

Personally I prefer Scotts...especially the one in St. Julian's and they are all very helpful and can direct you very well

Good luck :)

toonarmy9752 wrote:
georgeingozo wrote:

there must be a variation on this one GnG for those who just drink beer

Ciskatarian.

brayster99 wrote:

Hi All,

I have been searching for decent food / supermarket outlets could anyone point me in the right direction. I am generally looking for typically poshy high end products spoken about on the likes of MasterChef and the myriad of other Foody - gastro documentaries.

I love cooking (and eating) - preferrably organic or terroir type grub and woud like to get  hold the following;

Organic meat or even perhaps free range. Lamb?
Decent balsamic vinegar. The stuff you'd put on strawberry's not your chips.
Anything from a decent Italian deli.

So my thoughts so far on the supermarkets I have been to

- Lasco, looks like they're a sales outlet for Carrefour. Bit low end - fairly cheap for basics
- Lidl - great for some things, wine, organic milk and cold cuts. Limited choice
- Scotts, famed for its butchers, same as Lasco but reselling Conad. The butchers section wasn't nice, seemed to be cheap meat covered in chemical marinades. Chicken looks like Schwarzenegger it was so full of growth hormone.
- Smart - better, they had a Halal meat section that looked alright and fish section looked good. The organic section seemed to be confusing itself with a pet store selling bird seed. Best so far.
- Pavi - big. Good seafood, not so much organic stuff. Very busy!

Any suggestions for the dreadful food snob?

Hi there,

I was just googling for some good grocery store in Malta since me and my wife are going to move there soon. I saw this thread and i thought you are into good food too. Personally we love shopping at Waitrose here in London and I was wondering if there's something similar over there? I know Malta will never have the variety of London but something that comes close would be great ;-)

thanks
Gabrio

I have noticed that they just opened a really nice delicatesse shop in Triq Sir Adrian Dingli (Sliema), just across from the post office. Can't remember the exact name of the store, but I think it is "Meat &...(something)".

Looks very nice from the outside.....

The meat shop in Sir Adrian Dingli Street is called Meat & Co. Worth a visit. There is a great shop near Neptunes swimming pool, behind the City of London pub. Cant remember the name of it but Im sure that you would get decent balsamic vinegar there. They also had truffles in oil, artichokes etc. Most of the stock was Italian and some was organic.

Lidl only have organic milk about twice year!

There is also an Italian deli on Naxxaar Road in San Gwann. I  dont the name of it.Its about 50 metres down from the post office.