Where to live in Malta as a student ?

Hi everyone ! :)
I'm a french student, and i got accepted to the university of malta for the second semester of next year !
I am going there with one of my close friend, and after a long time discussing it, we've decided not to live in the student's residence and to find our own place (in flat sharing with other people).
But, since none of us know a single thing aout Malta, the challenge is now to find where to get our own place ! :)

So, if anyone could help us, it would be great !
Of course we want something not far from the university (which is located in Msida). Maybe there is an area where the students live/go out near the university ?
Otherwise, we would LOVE to live by the sea, is St Giljian/St Julian nice to live in ? And not so far from the university or well connected by bus or something, or maybe bike or walk is a good way to get there ? Or is there any place you recommend us ? We are open to any suggestion, please help us :)
Also, one practical question : is the life expensive there ?

By reading several topics in this forum, i can see Malta is a really nice place to live, i'm really looking forward to be there ! thanks everyone !:)

I have to ask. hope you don't mind?
If you know nothing about Malta why choose Malta University?
Enjoy your time, oh to be young again!! :)

All i Know is that it's the only English speaking country in Europe with sea and sunshine ! That's enough for me ! :)

agathe.dcr wrote:

All i Know is that it's the only English speaking country in Europe with sea and sunshine ! That's enough for me ! :)

:D

Well, where to start? My opinions are.................

Malta you will either love or hate, no inbetween!!
We love it but especially Gozo which you MUST visit, so different to the mainland.
Parts of Malta are very over developed but for young people I expect you'll love them. Paceville is the nightclub area but there are similar places all over the main island.
The islands are steeped in history, may I suggest you do some research on this as to just take in the sea and nightlife is missing so much.
Though the people in the vast majority are wonderful and very hospitable take care when selecting somewhere to rent, agents can be notorious and could either mislead you or get you somewhere that seems great but could cost you more than you bargained for.
The people can be very passionate, especially when discussing something close to their hearts. (Religion, Politics and Football.) You may feel they are coming to blows but it is just their way and it should not happen.
Do not expect the buses to run on time on the mainland especially on the 'tourist' routes. Sometimes it is best to go back into Valletta and then get a bus back out again to your final destination. If the buses are full, they may not stop at the bus stops along the route.
I will leave the more definitive and practical advice to those who really know but I can send more info if you want.
Enjoy!!

Dear Agatha,

I think it depends on your priorities. If easy access to the University is most important, Msida/Gzira is the best option.
There is also quite some supply for apartments in that area.

There are underpaths near the National Pool and at the Msida Skate park (see Google Maps) that will get you walking or cycling to the University without negotiating the traffic on the main road. From there, the bus connection to St. Julian's/Paceville (the going-out quarters of Malta) is quite good with the "coast lines" 12 and 13.

If you want to live in St. Julians itself, the access to the University is not that easy. Cycling is difficult, because you will have to take on the San Gwann Hill (going up to 90m above see level) and as a walk, it is quite long. There are buses, though, but do not count on every bus coming (ie., at all, forget about the exact time).

As anywhere on the world, an apartment with seaside views will be more expensive, so you will have to see how that works with a student budget. For letting agents, look around the other posts here on the forum.

Regarding cycling: It is still a small minority, but some people commute to the University by bike. I am one of them, and it is doable, but you have to be careful.  But as there is no market for second-hand bike, so bring one (costs you only 30€ per flight with Air Malta). You might need to get a bike bag, though (from 70€), but check with them.

Good luck

Would this suit you? :)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/247543_344192335704043_1175270736_n.jpg

First of all, thanks to both of you, you are really helping us ! These are all precious advises !

holgerMalta : I think we will consider Msida, if you tell us it's easier to get to the university from there ! How far is it from the sea ?

Redmik : Don't worry, we are young, but one of my personal hobby is history and historical buildings / sites ! I'll be sure not to miss anything, i have 6 months to see everything interesting ! (and YES, this place on the cliffs would perfectly suit me!!)

Once again, thank you both for your answers ! :)

Gzira and Msida are basically between the University on one side and the sea on the other.