Electrical Voltage Converter

Hi there,

I was wondering if anybody would know where I can buy a Voltage Converter in HCMC.  I bought an adapter before moving here and failed to realized it wasn't a converter-combo.  I'm looking for a Voltage Converter that would convert 220/240V (Vietnam Standard) to 120V (US Standard). 

Thank you in advance for the help,

-Victor

You can find in yersin street, many shop in those street sell what you need.

thanks a bunch, dude!

I think I've seen it at CoopMart as well, perhaps other supermarkets?

Hi,  I was wondering if you had any luck at Yersin street. I just arrived from USA and am also needing to get a few converters.  If Yersin not successful, were you able to locate it elsewhere? Thanks Rika

Hey Rika,

I was able to find it at the stores on Yersin. I got it for around 70k. Keep in mind though, they only carry 80w and not 60w. So the power is still a bit stronger, but good enough. Look for the stores with lights and electrical wires. Message me if you need further help.

Thanks very much for your quick reply.  I'm totally ignorant abut electricity so not sure what 60w vs 80w means.  But I will check it out tomorrow. Thanks!

Take a look at the plug, if it has a 'vertical' slot in each of the round hole you will not need one.

I carried a 'converter' all over Vietnam then the last week I saw a US laptop power supply plugged into the wall.
Tried my phone and the iPad charger, both worked with no issue.

One caveat, the slots are  'not polarized' (bot slots are same size, polarized has 2 different sizes)

So, look before you plug you device in.
CT

Yeah, I learned the hard way and burnt out my chi hair iron!

hey, "thekat", that's actually a very dangerous logic to use; please be careful.

Laptops, phones and ipad chargers all have built in power converters.  It would say it on the charger;  "Input 100V-240V".  What that means is, you can plug it into any power output that has a maximum of 240V.  Vietnam, along with most Asian countries all have electrical output of 240V.  The States have an output of 120V.  That's why those laptop, phones and ipad chargers are able to be used both in the States and in Vietnam.

Any products bought in the States that does not have a charger, ie. a hair buzzer or most hair ironing comb, buy a power converter...for your own safety.

-Victor

We know where to buy them. See you Thursday morning.

Hi,
Nowadays, most of electric equipments have "auto voltage 120-240v" so no need to changer. Some of them used 110V still. So I think you need one by one the voltage changer for each equipment with power they needed and you must connecting them together always. By this way, no need you remember the voltage they need and have not mistake.

This is my idea only!

Cheer,

victorqnguyen wrote:

hey, "thekat", that's actually a very dangerous logic to use; please be careful.

Laptops, phones and ipad chargers all have built in power converters.  It would say it on the charger;  "Input 100V-240V".  What that means is, you can plug it into any power output that has a maximum of 240V.  Vietnam, along with most Asian countries all have electrical output of 240V.  The States have an output of 120V.  That's why those laptop, phones and ipad chargers are able to be used both in the States and in Vietnam.

Any products bought in the States that does not have a charger, ie. a hair buzzer or most hair ironing comb, buy a power converter...for your own safety.

-Victor

Well, you can always check my findings with a small volt meter.
My Verizon Samsung S3 is a 120 volt device and I also plugged it in.

Point is well taken though..