Jobs/Work in Puerto Rico

My partner and I were thinking about moving to Puerto Rico. We are both American.  So I understand we would not be true expats.  But having been to Puerto Rico several times it is easy to see that it is truly like being in a different country in many ways. We have fallen in love with the Fajardo/Luquillo area.

We are both college graduates. I am an accountant and my partner currently works for the UN with an International studies degree. And we are wondering how easy or difficult is it to find employment in Puerto Rico? We are saving vigorously to one day soon make this move.  But we are concerned that we would find our selves unemployed or underemployed.  Does any one out there know of any ways to work from home?

One of the main draws to Puerto Rico for us is the desire to change our life style.  We really do want to work. But at the end of the day we don't want to be in the same situation we are in here in Houston Texas. We are currently stuck in a 9 to 5 rut. We don't want to move to Puerto Rico only to get trapped in the same situation we are currently in. Is there any way around this? Are there any suggestions?

WoodFA wrote:

We have fallen in love with the Fajardo/Luquillo area.

A beautiful area indeed -  Luquillo beach is one of my favorite beaches - I gladly take the 45 minutes drive to get there. :)

WoodFA wrote:

We are both college graduates. I am an accountant and my partner currently works for the UN with an International studies degree. And we are wondering how easy or difficult is it to find employment in Puerto Rico? We are saving vigorously to one day soon make this move.  But we are concerned that we would find our selves unemployed or underemployed.  Does any one out there know of any ways to work from home?

When moving to another country (without being 'sent' by a company) it's always more difficult to find employment and one should be prepared to be either underemployed or without a job for some time.
Keep in mind that even if you speak the language you're still a foreigner and unless you have very special qualities that are required for a job, the chance that a local applicant will be getting the job is large.
Now, if you realize that that's how it is, you will have to find your own niche.
I would check which American companies that are located in the area and contact them first. Those companies are likely to hire Americans for (senior) management positions and if they can employ an American who is living here they won't have to pay all the expat benefits - a clear advantage for you guys!

Working from home is possible, of course - it all depends what you are planning to do. Actually I work from my home office. I design websites and offer web hosting. Quite different from what I used to do (I have a master's in chemical engineering and worked in senior management positions in the food industry in Europe for many years) but I like it a lot and it pays the bills. :)

WoodFA wrote:

One of the main draws to Puerto Rico for us is the desire to change our life style.  We really do want to work. But at the end of the day we don't want to be in the same situation we are in here in Houston Texas. We are currently stuck in a 9 to 5 rut. We don't want to move to Puerto Rico only to get trapped in the same situation we are currently in. Is there any way around this? Are there any suggestions?

It's all about what you want. :) In the first place try to be satisfied if you make enough to pay the bills. Try to do something that you really like so working won't feel like something that you have to do but something you want to do. Actually, I found that this is the key to be happy in live. For me it meant quit my job and work independently. Ever since I took that decision, back in '88, life has been just great, no matter what I did, how much I made and where I lived. :D

Also, keep in mind that the "vacation feeling" will disappear after a couple of months after you move here. It's still going to be nice and you'll enjoy it but when you live in a place where you would go for a vacation it is going to be 'normal'.

Unless you have a nice financial buffer that will keep you going for at least 6 months I would try to secure work for at least one of you guys before you move here.