Register car in Gib

When you register car in Gib do you have to give away the foreign plates and registration documents? Or I could keep them and have the car registered also in the original country?

Thanks

Hello scrissti.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

A new thread has been created from your message on the Gibraltar forum as the other one was old (2010).

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi,

did you get areply to your car question? Nick.

Try this.  Old, but basic info. http://wp.me/p22Jwi-68

You can't be registered in two countries at once.

There is the 181 day thing that you need to be aware of.

Gib has advantages, no road tax, MOT on private vehicles every two years, blah blah.

Hi,

what is the 181 day thing - is that the limit to the no. of days you can use your old car in Gib?

"Gib has advantages, no road tax, MOT on private vehicles every two years, blah blah." Sounds great, any other advantages?

We are minded to sell our UK car and buy a cheap 2nd hand one in Gib when we arrive, the 30% import duty is too much! Are there private classified 2nd hand sales ads in the Gib. Chron. or other papers? I'm aware of the  pricey dealers in DT Rd...

thNK niCK.

AFAIK the 181 day thing is Europe wide. You are only allowed to keep a vehicle in a country for six months or you have to get rid of it or import it.

MOT on private vehicles is only £20. Fuel is cheaper than well, everywhere.  Just over a quid a litre at the mo.

A mate's friend bought a cheap run-around for £400. Two years MOT.  Immaculate, one owner.

Any more queries, put them on my (Land rover) blog please as I don't check on here very often.