Bahrain Job Offer

I applied for a job in Bahrain and have recently had an offer through as well as a contract.
I am happy with the contract but just have a couple of queries:

i have a 3 month notice period here in the UK and there is a push from the recruitment firm to get this reduced. I doubt this would be possible.

THe contract is not signed by the employer nor dated. Should I wait until it is signed until i hand my notice in at my current job? Does the contract need to be dated or will that be agreed once the start date is agreed?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Welcome and well done on getting a contract that you are happy with.

1. All contracts in the ME can be made better!!
2. If you default on your notice in the UK then ?????
3. The fact that the contract isn't signed etc isn't really an issue as long as it is a reputable company. Most here do everything via phone calls and emails and give you a signed contract upon arrival. If you are unsure, ask them to sign the contract, scan it (with a witness signature) and email it to you.

Just to share an example, I work for a very reputable global company here in Bahrain and even my signed contract was given to me when I moved to Bahrain. Of course I saw the copy well in advance but it was not signed. It was for me to review the details.

That doesn't mean all companies are honest like this so don't take this for granted. However I don't think there is going to be any issue.

Agree with both. however like you I was also little unsure as the first job offer they sent me was on a simple doc file without any signature , as soon as I asked them that, they send me a scanned copy of signed offer letter  .I always prefer to go safer side.

Regards,
Akhilesh

Thank you everyone
I am sure that the company is reputable as is the owner I have asked for the signed contract, but they said they get signed when arriving in Bahrain. The job is via a recruitment agency and so it is a second hand message. They are also pushing for me to reduce my notice period. I have gone back and said that it will be 3 months and that I am concerned about the lack of signed contract.
I will see what happens but I guess at some point I will just have to go for it and hand my notice in!

All will be fine. Sounds like they really want you. UK can't do much if you leave early ....

Thanks everyone, the contract has been signed. I am still trying to get out of my 3 month notice period - will have to see how that one goes.

Just another query - My girlfriend (we are not married) is staying behind in the UK. Obviously to move out permanently she will need a job or for us to be married. Is there any restriction on her visiting on a normal tourist visa? Will she be able to stay in my apartment or will she need a hotel?

richardeman wrote:

Thanks everyone, the contract has been signed. I am still trying to get out of my 3 month notice period - will have to see how that one goes.

Just another query - My girlfriend (we are not married) is staying behind in the UK. Obviously to move out permanently she will need a job or for us to be married. Is there any restriction on her visiting on a normal tourist visa? Will she be able to stay in my apartment or will she need a hotel?

Tourist visa will be fine and yes she can stay in your apartment.

You can even hold hands in public.

She will only need a job to move here permanently if you can't both survive on your salary. Most people just say they are married and that she chose to keep her birth name. Either that or she can change her name by deedpole.

Congratulations on getting the contract signed. I'm sure you could leave your company in UK quicker - they can't really do anything with you being in Bahrain.

Thanks Everyone.
Things are now progressing and have my start date of the 18th August. Really looking forward to it and trawling these forums looking at all the helpful advice!
I am sure I will have more questions in the coming weeks!

Thanks

Rich

18th August - be prepared to be slapped in the face by 50 degrees of heat. But at least Ramadam will have finished and you can get a nice cold beer. Congrats and look forward to meeting you in August. There won't be many here as everyone leaves for the summer (too hot)

Congrats mate. Looking forward to meeting you in person when you're here. Give us a shout if you need anything.

Thanks guys, guess I will have to get used to the heat at some point....get the worst out the way! Not sure how a Ginger Yorkshire guy will get on in Bahrain - but cannot wait to find out!!

Buy a hat - a very big hat and factor 50. You will be fine

During the day, nobody goes out in the heat. And at night, people stay indoors due to the humidity being crazy high. But all of this is nothing when you have a good circle of friends around you.

Good luck.

Well everything is progressing. Looks like I am starting work on the 18th August. Really looking forward ot getting out there!

Obviously, I am starting to try and plan for the move.

Silly question - what did people pack when they moved to Bahrain. I am planning on getting a fully furnished apartment so won't need anything major. But other than clothes, laptop, camera I am not sure what else I need to be bringing? Any recommendations? Anything you took that there was no need to take? Anything you wish you had brought with you?

Secondly - generally speaking, when getting an apartment (the company are sorting the first 2-4 weeks) but do most places require 3 months rent in advance? I am just a little worried about cash flow to start with.

Also, where internet is included - is it a decent connection? Variable I guess?

Looking forward to hopefully seeing some of you out there!

Rich

Hello Rich,

I'm glad to hear that things are progressing. In terms of packing, really I can't think of anything that you will not be able to find in Bahrain. Make sure you do not pack any winter clothes as it will not be necessary. Pack one or two just in case we have a chilly night.

Bring your swimshorts. You will swim here.

When it comes to the accommodation, yes, most buildings do ask for 3 months rent in advance, but then you don't pay anything for the following 2 months. I am not sure about your package but in most cases, your work will pay for the accommodation so you will ask them to pay for it. I don't think this will be an issue.

Internet is usually included as part of your rent, but this will be a shared connection. More often than not, you can get your own broadband service from VIVA, Mena Telecom or Batelco for around 30BD a month.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to reply or send a PM.

Good luck and we will certainly meet when you get here.

Hello all, well I am now in Bahrain, been here since Friday. My company have put me in an apartment in Juffair, which I am not really enjoying at the moment. Going to look at some others tomorrow. Probably around the British Club (which I visited on Saturday) and plan to join there. THe other option is Seef as we are moving offices at the end of August.
Made my way around quite a bit and found a couple of hypermarkets and malls! Work mates seem great (first day today) but if  anybody fancies meeting for a drink or anything then that would be great!

Rich

Welcome to Bahrain Rich.

The first few weeks are always the toughest. Once you get your apartment sorted out and set yourself up, things begin to fall into place. Places like the British Club are certainly good places to socialize as well.

Would be nice to meet up. I am travelling out of Bahrain for a short while. Will be back towards the end of August. Perhaps we can meet up then. If you do have some time to spare tomorrow morning or early afternoon (before I fly out) would you like to perhaps have a quick meeting over a coffee? Please let me know either here or by PM.

Best wishes.

Thank you very much Farhaz - Unfortunately I will be starting work at 8am but would like to take up your offer for coffee when you are back!
Have a safe trip!

Sure thing. Lets meet up when I am back.
Thanks for your wishes.

I'm having a BBQ at our place on the 5th Sept, loads from the forum coming. PM me if you want to come - Saar area.

Thanks Josnuggles! I will be in touch nearer the time!
Rich

Excellent news