Moving household goods to Malta by truck

Hi All,

I have been getting quotes from UK shipping company's in excess of £4000 and have just had a thought...

What are the implications for doing the removals myself, I have an HGV so could hire a truck in the UK and drive it across then get co-driver to take the truck back, I'd have to work costs out for diesel, ferry etc to see if it can be done.

Does anyone know of the legalities of doing it this way i.e. customs etc.

Many thanks inadvance

perfectly legal as both countries are in the EU (for now anyway)

Thanks GnG,

Just had a removals company ring me about a quote and I happened to mention that all our bedroom furniture is new and flat packed. He told me that was not suitable as they (customs) like to see it as being used.

I think this is a load of pants and just a way to get more more money out of me as it would take up more space..

Ken

Customs!

On the occasions that I have entered Malta with large van and trailer, I have yet to be stopped in any way shape or form...even to check my passport!...

It was (admittedly not the current Sicily Ferry) the older Italian Mainland ferries but it was leave the ferry, down the ramp and straight out of the dock gates... nothing more ... totally astounding but hey, I wasn't complaining!

We arrived with our stuff in a large transit driven by a self employed driver and there was no problem. There is no customs duty to pay as you are travelling from one EU  country to another. However beware of what removal firms may tell you as when we were enquiring one company tried to tell us that Malta was not in the EU and so we would have to pay import duty!!!
That's when we got a self employed driver to do it for us, we arrived in the morning and he unloaded and went back the same day. It was a fixed price and he was happy with what we agreed.

Terry

tearnet wrote:

We arrived with our stuff in a large transit driven by a self employed driver and there was no problem. There is no customs duty to pay as you are travelling from one EU  country to another. However beware of what removal firms may tell you as when we were enquiring one company tried to tell us that Malta was not in the EU and so we would have to pay import duty!!!
That's when we got a self employed driver to do it for us, we arrived in the morning and he unloaded and went back the same day. It was a fixed price and he was happy with what we agreed.

Terry

Hi Terry,

What about leaving the UK, was there any paperwork needed?

Ken

Sorry I should have mentioned that we moved from France but when we moved from the UK to France again we had no problems and no customs check at Dover.

Terry

the only customs check should be for things like firearms and illegal drugs, plus alcohol and tobacco if beyond personal consumption

georgeingozo wrote:

the only customs check should be for things like firearms and illegal drugs, plus alcohol and tobacco if beyond personal consumption

Sweet... this is sounding better all the time :lol:

Fancy picking up a small load in south east London on the way? I've been quoted for 3 cubic metres between £600 and a staggering £1,200 (plus VAT!) We could help each other maybe.
Cheers

cobradd wrote:

Fancy picking up a small load in south east London on the way? I've been quoted for 3 cubic metres between £600 and a staggering £1,200 (plus VAT!) We could help each other maybe.
Cheers

Hi Cobradd,

That sounds like a good idea, I have another small load to take across for a friend but I can't move until I sell my house so possibly looking around the end of July time.

Ken

Can we join in please? We have a few suitcases of stuff to finish off our moving!

Sounds like Mr Rocking Ken will be in a new business soon :)

customs "are these all your own personal items, and did you pack everything yourself ?"

This is true George.

I would love to join in with you Ken as I could do with a couple of Tanks from the UK but it does go to the question that George has mentioned.

J

scubaboy wrote:

This is true George.

I would love to join in with you Ken as I could do with a couple of Tanks from the UK but it does go to the question that George has mentioned.

J

I'll be bringing my diving kit with me so a couple of cylinders would be ok.

Still sorting out the costs but came a cropper trying to catch the ferry from Genoa to Malta but they were asking stupid money so may have to look at the route again and maybe drive down to Italy and come via Sicily.

/K

georgeingozo wrote:

customs "are these all your own personal items, and did you pack everything yourself ?"

Your right GnG will have to see about this and stay within the realms of the law.

Ken

cobradd wrote:

Sounds like Mr Rocking Ken will be in a new business soon :)

You never know Cobradd, stranger things have happened :lol:

Ken,

You would need to go from Genoa to Palermo, then an overnight stay in Pozzallo and the Virtu ferry to Valletta the next day.

Let me know if you need any assistance

Julian

scubaboy wrote:

Ken,

You would need to go from Genoa to Palermo, then an overnight stay in Pozzallo and the Virtu ferry to Valletta the next day.

Julian

Thanks Julian,

I'll be checking routes tonight if I get 5 minutes..

Ken

scubaboy wrote:

Ken,

Julian

i believe the costs for hgv on the Pozzalo ferry are spiteful > 2k euro! worth checking.

brayster99 wrote:

i believe the costs for hgv on the Pozzalo ferry are spiteful > 2k euro! worth checking.

yeah that's what I was quoted, there must be an easier/cheaper way to get a truck across to Malta....

Hi! We are french , who are living in Malta to 6 months ago. We want to move us furniture and box to Nice ( South of France ) to Malta. Here , lot of people say me that the cheapper price is to move with people who come to UK in the same moving van. More people the UK come in malta than France. The idea is : You put your furnitures and more in your moving van and when you arrived in Nice , We put us furniture and a price is better for everything! Normaly a removal firm know this system. We want to move fastest. The people are interessted ? Thank you

Can anyone out me in touch with this guy as we have a good van full to take from Brighton to Malta in a couple of weeks.....

BFish wrote:

Can anyone out me in touch with this guy as we have a good van full to take from Brighton to Malta in a couple of weeks.....

Which guy?  Try sending a private message to whoever you mean.

We decided to use a shipping company instead of driving it across ourselves. Worked out cheaper in the long run.

Which shipping company did you use Ken ?

Hi Bfish,

Sorry for the late reply, we used Britannia George Bernard Shaw from Hexham.

Ken