Family medical / Health plan

Hi experts,

I am new expatriate in Bahrain and I am planning to get my family here soon. I am entitled with health insurance (coverage of around 1000 USD  a year) and Group life insurance plan for myself only, by my employer.
Now I wish to get health insurance for my wife and daughter ( 8 yrs old).
Can someone please guide me on -

* How I can get the health plan for family?
* What would be adequate coverage?
* Which is best or preferred underwriters here?
* How much would be monthly premium?
* What all documents I would need for enrolment?

Thanks everyone for your kind support and warm welcome extended to me.

Thanks Again-
Shal

Hello Shalcom and welcome to the forum,

Experts sounds a big word, specially as far as insurance is concerned. I know about corporate packages but nothing about individuals unfortunately.
What I can tell you is :

- 1000 USD a year is really not much ! I had to go to hospital for dressings during a while, it cost me 120 BHD which is 318 USD! And we are not talking about an operation with anaesthesia for instance!

- There are a lot of insurance companies but you have to think about what you want to be covered for and then meet a few to compare before making a decision. For cars, there is a big difference between the insurers....

For the rest I'm sorry I can't help, you'll have to check directly with them unless some other member has any experience to share...

Cheers

Olivier

Health Insurance is really expensive so you will need to shop around and check out things like whether you have to pay up front and then claim back or whether they will deal with the insurance company direct. 

Certain Insurers will only deal with certain hospitals too so be careful of that one.

Also know of someone who purchased insurance at quite a cost only to discover (after a broken arm) that the insurance would only pay if there was an overnight stay in hospital.

Its a minefield and hopefully someone can recommend a good company to you.

As an aside your cover doesnt look too good - 600bd a year is not much - from personal experience have just paid a lot more than that for a broken bone at one of the government hospitals.

I've got a health insurance with MetLife Alico. I've got this one through work. I had to pay a visit to two different hospitals in two different occasions, and in both of them, the insurance was never an issue. All I had to do was to give them my insurance card and that's it.

After the examination done, I had to pay 7BD for the subscription. The total cost of the pulls were way above that, but even if it was 200 BD, I would still have had to pay 7BD.

I know this wasn't exactly what you were asking in terms of health insurance prices in the Middle East, but I thought maybe sharing the personal experiences would help.

Hi Shal,

I also have similar need, i will keep visiting this thread to see if something is here to help me, however if you found something offline too i request you to post here or PM me.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Akhil

Hi Shal,

My HR has shared the contact details of the agency which is providing  insurance to our staff , Please PM me , i will share the contact details , the package which i came to know is 230 BD for a year , this covers almost everything.

Regards,
Akhil

akhil004 wrote:

Hi Shal,

My HR has shared the contact details of the agency which is providing  insurance to our staff , Please PM me , i will share the contact details , the package which i came to know is 230 BD for a year , this covers almost everything.

Regards,
Akhil

Is that 230BD cost to the client or 230BD cover. Might be best to share the details with everyone as this is what the forum is for