Getting a vehicle

When I was in Cairo for a guided tour I was in an air conditioned bus everywhere I went. I saw a ton of cars on the road but didn't see any car dealers...what do you do to acquire a car? Do you purchase a used one there or do you ship your car over from America? What's the deal with car insurance?

Thank you in advance

You can rent a car here, without any problem!
Prices per day are from 30 $ to up. There are also offers and discounts if the car is rented for more than 1 month. More information and facilities you could find following these links:
http://www.cairotourist.com/rentcars.htmhttp://www.maneuver-rentacar.com/fleets.html
Also, you could book it by your coming here. It is the advantage that the petrol is cheap comparing with outside Arab areas prices.
I don t think the best idea is to bring your car from America, here!

Hi secretagentwilly,

Bringing your car from the states will be not good at all, first of all the quality of fuel here and in the states are totally different this could harm the engine of your car.

Buying a car from here would be a good Idea, this is what I did and I preferred to buy a used car coz when you buy a new one you loose a lot but with a used one you don't loose that much.

Renting a car is also an opportunity but if you consider renting a car you need to calculate for how long you will be staying here. In case you stay at least a year then you should calculate the amount you will pay as rental fee and compare how much a used car is if you buy it.

If you have any further questions just let me know.

Before I forget driving in Egypt specially in Cairo is not so easy but after a certain time you will get used to it and will adapt.

Renting a car is somewhere around 700$/ month, with insurance, and all the fees paid! If something happens  in this time just you give back the car and get another one.
Buying one, involves a lot of mendings, taxes, fees, headaches, care....., so in case that staying here is temporary, better rent one!
My opinion only!

how much would a basic used care in decent condition run?

And insurance...how about that?

Thanks again in advance...:)

I wish I had a car it would make things easier!