Moving to Almaty - Assistance Required

Hi Guys,

I'm from Australia and I'm moving to Almaty in the next six weeks.

I'm lucky enough to have an apartment supplied with my new Project Management position.

I'm hoping that my girlfriend can relocate with me and teach English, she has significant experience in this field and the appropriate qualifications. However thus far we have not received any feedback on job applications.

So I guess I have a couple of questions for any knowledgeable locals or expats on the ground in Almaty.

1) Is it easier to find jobs once on the ground, (visiting language schools etc)? An alternative plan may be that she enters initially on a tourist visa and to locate a job and then be sponsored for a visa afterwards.

2) Does anyone have any positive experiences with an employment agency in Kazakhstan? We have found a few, however I'm certain that at least one of these is fraudulent.

Any information would be appreciated as we are fast running out of time to make this happen.

Many Thanks,

Matt,

Hi Matt!

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

hi Matt,

it shouldn't be that difficult to find an english teaching job for your wife, as she's a native speaker of the language and is experienced in the field. there are a few english schools that can employ her and she could tutor english privately too. entering on a tourist visa first and finding a job when in almaty is a good idea, but i'd still look for job ads online too. I just googled english teacher required in almaty and i got many links including this one hh.kz/vacancy/7868383.

good luck.
Sal.

Indeed, there are several schools which hire English speaking teachers. I would try to find some people who work here as a self employed or on behalf of school, and ask sme practical advices. . I'm not sure your wife could fast  find  an apropriate job by visiting local schools. You should check AIWC.org (Almaty international women club), where in general expat's spouses have many activities. She also could promote private classes for locals using Internet web sites, just has to be translate to Russian.

The main criteria of choosing an employment agency probably should be their experience at employing foreigners. Contact them directly using phone number or email and ask are they interested in employing your wife and how well they have done it before.

Kazakhstan is quite similar to AU, except ocean :) you'd love it