Gibraltar exact same law as England?

Hello everybody,

I have lived the past 11 years in London, UK, now I am in Spain but thinking about moving to Gibraltar.
I just wonder if I can keep my national insurance number if I move there..or would I need to apply for something new?
Also I still have an account with Barclays but feel its rather complicated to communicate with them, if you are abroad.
In 5 Month I have not managed to change my address to the Spanish Address. If I walk into a Gibraltarian Barclays Bank, can I change my address from there?

Thanks
Susanne:D

Hi
National Insurance numbers are not the same in Gibraltar as in the UK, you won't get a new one as such, but you will pay Social Insurance from your earnings.The National Insurance number you were issued in the Uk is yours for life but doesn't apply over here, once you get a job you will need to register at the Gibraltar Tax Office.
All Gibraltar law isn't the same as the UK. for example, you can legally buy and consume alcohol at 16 in Gib, the minimum wage is £5, 75p less than the UK min wage plus there of other law and policy differences.
Not sure if you can change your banking address, but there is a Barclays Bank in Gib, so you can always ask.

Hello Tulalula,

thank you for your reply. Im quite sad now.
I traveled all the way downt from Costa Blanca to Gibraltar
(about 11 hours bus ride).
I like Gibraltar very much...and I could see there are jobs I could get, but the problem is..how do you find a place to live there? If I think about London, there is the "loot newspaper" and you can find lots of rooms to rent there.
Also here in Spain...you go to a internet cafe and there are often rooms advertised.
But where are the rooms in Gibraltar??

I would prefer to live in Gibraltar rather then La Linea..because it is nicer there...even though its just a room.

I had a look in the paper "Friday add" but also there is nothing advertised.
I think it is strange.

Well and now I am back in Spain.

Many thanks
Susanne:(

Hi Susanne

Sorry to hear you were disappointed with your trip (specially after you spent 11 hours sitting on a Bus?!!!)
Most of the places for rent are advertised in the Gibraltar Chronicle (the local daily newspaper) or in local Estate Agents, you do occasionally see room/flat shares advertised, but not that often, it's mainly Apartments that are offered and as you know, they are quite expensive. Most, if not all the Estate Agents in Gibraltar have websites, have you tried googling 'Estate Agents in Gibraltar'?

T:)

The National Insurance number you were issued in the Uk is yours for life but doesn't apply over here, once you get a job you will need to register at the Gibraltar Tax Office.

+1

For the bank, I also have an account in UK but if u are in Gib, why not just open a new one, have ur gib address and get everything sorted much easier, plus if u have some bank problems, u dont need to go back to UK.