How binding is a Letter of Offer of Employment without a contract?

I have been employed as an expatriate worker in Oman since last September. I was offered the job and obtained my work visa on the strength of a 'Letter of Offer' from the employers, which indicated my total monthly salary and the employment length of 2 years. When I asked about when I would receive a contract, I was told that - for no specified reason - they 'tended to take their time about such things' or words to that effect (since then I have learnt that they might be slow to give me a contract since this would have to detail my basic salary and they are unwilling to disclose this - most of my colleagues are in a similar position to me). No mention of my contract has been mentioned since I started 9 months ago. The 3 month probationary period mentioned in the Letter has elapsed.

I have recently applied for a job with another company and I am wondering what obstacles there might be in the event that I am offered the new post. If I am accepted, they would want me to start in mid-July. This would mean leaving my current job 10 months and 15 days after its commencement.last year.

I have read online that there are rules that impede workers switching jobs while still under contract, but - through no fault of my own - I have no contract, just the letter.

I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thank you.

Well man you are not the only one in this situation as most of the time does not provide any written contract which they should do anyway for their own safety as well but I don't know why they are so lazy in doing this.

Well you can leave your job by giving them 2 months notice as this is same for all employees working in Oman. Normally you offer letter does state basic things i.e. allowance, contract time etc do give it a another read. Well You need to obtain a letter from your current employer before u can switch to new employer as the new employer need to get a visa for you and they ROP requite a letter from the current employee.

DO discuss that asap with your HR if you want to join your new employer. If delayed you might have to leave the country and come on your new visa but bear in mind that July is Ramadan month then eid which is almost 40 days period and things will be very slower and you might have to stay out without any salary for 2 months which is again a big loss.

Hope this ans your question,

Thanks for the response. I very much doubt that the company I work for will want to let me go, or be willing to authorise it in writing. That's why I'm asking about the legality of the Letter of Offer. My thought is that if it doesn't constitute a binding commitment to the employer then I would be free to leave and would be able to take other employment, at least that's my wishful thinking!

Thanks again.

You are welcome... yes if they are willing to give u a release letter then go for it. All the best

Another point to consider is: are you in possession of your passport?  We have very much similar predicament except I'm only 3 months in my current job, with the strength of a 'Letter of Offer' with a designation apt for the salary I sign in for but in actual fact, I am given a higher designation mentioned in my labor card ( something not right here...).

The set up of the company is not what I initially thought it was as described on its website- the contrary is true (i.e, professional integrity is consider below average, and organization is not operated professionally; no HR to handle matters concerning employment contract or any grievances).

I have written several times to the GM and even CEO of my confusing role in the company as well as soliciting their many promises indicated or implied in the 'Letter of Offer' but all were not given attention. Attempts to meet with GM to discuss my concerns failed incessantly.

I am told from an independent party that NO CONTRACT in the end may work for me as I am free to leave regardless of what is indicated in the 'Letter of Offer'.  However, employer could make it difficult for someone like me who would want to be employed elsewhere after probationary period elapsed.  This could be manifested in many forms such as:

1. Unwillingness or delaying release of passport;

2. Demand that worker pay's for ALL their expenses in hiring worker;

3. And anything from accusing worker of petty crimes etc...

On a positive light however, employer should be notified at least 30 days prior to date of resignation and employer may ask worker to leave the next day but employer would need to pay 1 month more of workers wages ( this is debatable).

Alternatively, worker could stick around while searching for better option and try to resolve any differences if any or ask for intervention from either labor attache of one's country of residence or be witness by a third party in any form of dialogue that may occur to resolve issue.

I'm unsure if my thoughts were helpful or created more doubts.  But one thing remain is true... we are not alone on this situation and I wish us all the best!

Thanks, Mr vagabond. I think our situations differ in that what was offered in the letter of offer corresponds pretty much to my working reality although as I don't have a contract the actual breakdown of my salary is not available to me. In my case, the only grounds I can see for leaving would be that without a contract I am not committed to the company. So my question remains...