English so difficult with me

i was feel helpless. My ex bf is foreginer. I was a banker. He was a my customer. He can't speak Vietnamese and i speak English so bad. He's so tempered. He's a great man. People said Love is smile the first, kises the midle and tears at the end. i cried so much when we couldn't understand each other. He alway saw to my eyes and i saw his love. More slence in our love. we are feel the love in kisses. It's nice :> . But, We have think different. Not much but enought to debate. Again, again, again... If my english good , he can understand me or i wishes he could speak Vietnamese. We broke up, he came back his country.
All this was going on. I want and try to learn English. Don't know why? :). Now my english still bad.
How to speak English well?

Luna

That sounds like a tough situation, sorry to hear about that.

How about going to all these English exchanges/meetings/clubs? The best way is just to surround yourself in the language to learn it.

Don't be afraid to try at any opportunity... I think most native English-speakers are gracious if you try to speak to them, and happy to help you if you ask.

I have to say, I'm not that impressed with the results of the English classes that apparently are being offered. In no way the students' fault for not being taught the proper thing.

I have to ask... are you still a banker? You said "I was a banker" which implies that you are no longer one.

Hi Luna,

I think you need a native speaker and a vietnamese teache to help you at the same time.

I can help you.  Pls contact me at : [email protected]
Yours,

Lynn

I just think why he didnt help you to study English, or you guys help each other learn language?

I've gone through the same thing with my Vietnamese girlfriend. Its  tough when my Vietnamese is not fluent and her English is not good. But what I found annoying was that she would nitpick at everything because she has nothing better to talk to me about with her limited communication with me.

For example, I found it annoying that she would nag me about my vices like smoking, drinking, driving too fast, etc. Yeah, okay I understand too much is not good which is fine, but if she expects me to change my lifestyle I rather prefer a change of company for someone who accepts me for who I am.

Basically, its not just being able to communicate. Its how you get along together and connecting thats also important.

Hi Luna. Your English is not bad to be honest. Yes the grammar may not be there but at least it's understandable. Oh well your ex-bf's lose.

My fiance's English is terrible. She's taken about 6 months of private one-on-one tutoring 3 days a week. I've tried setting her up with a Native speaker as well but no matter how hard she tried she just can't remember the English words or understand the sentence structure.

She just quit her last English lesson and I think it's for good until I move to Vietnam and help her learn English. Her English teacher offered to tutor her for free but she feels it would just be a waste of her time.

What I'm saying is not everyone can learn 'proper' English but English should be easy enough to communicate and understand one another unlike most other languages.

How to improve Enlish? I think you just have to immerse yourself with others that speak English like an English speaking club or watch English language shows. Cartoons are fun to watch.

I think if your English abilities are very basic or you can't understand much at all, it's best to learn from someone that knows both Vietnamese and English to explain in Vietnamese so you can understand. Then once you know enough you can learn more from a native speaker.

I don't think learning English from just a native speaker will work very well if you can't understand what they are saying. If you are self-taught you can at least check for translations.

Being older means you won't be able to pick it up like how kids do with just a native speaker.

What Khanh44 said is quite true about how English is a language that can be easy enough to learn for simple communication and understanding. It's when you try to get deeper into it and get everything right that it gets hard.

Goodluck with your learning! =].

thaoh wrote:

I think if your English abilities are very basic or you can't understand much at all, it's best to learn from someone that knows both Vietnamese and English to explain in Vietnamese so you can understand. Then once you know enough you can learn more from a native speaker.

I don't think learning English from just a native speaker will work very well if you can't understand what they are saying. If you are self-taught you can at least check for translations.

Being older means you won't be able to pick it up like how kids do with just a native speaker.

What Khanh44 said is quite true about how English is a language that can be easy enough to learn for simple communication and understanding. It's when you try to get deeper into it and get everything right that it gets hard.

Goodluck with your learning! =].

This is great advice. I find that especially with idioms, the literal translations just don't work out the same way. But if you had someone who can substitute a Vietnamese phrase in place of an English one, you'll start learning the nuances and complexities.

But start slow and simple, and that will get the ball rolling! (Shoot, there's one of those idioms...)

lol thanx LastInTranslation. I do love using idioms too, but always have to keep in mind what it would translate into when around non-English speaking people.

Idioms, another thing for Vietnamese learners to watch out for. It could cause a lot of misunderstandings and confusion if not known.

Phi Long wrote:

I've gone through the same thing with my Vietnamese girlfriend. Its  tough when my Vietnamese is not fluent and her English is not good. But what I found annoying was that she would nitpick at everything because she has nothing better to talk to me about with her limited communication with me.

For example, I found it annoying that she would nag me about my vices like smoking, drinking, driving too fast, etc. Yeah, okay I understand too much is not good which is fine, but if she expects me to change my lifestyle I rather prefer a change of company for someone who accepts me for who I am.

Basically, its not just being able to communicate. Its how you get along together and connecting thats also important.

You made me laugh :lol:

reminds me of friend in Thailand whose Thai gf nagged him about eating and drinking too much with no excercise.

But was a fat slob alcoholic! Please look in the mirror  :P

I have news for you. ALL women will try to change you. It is universal in all cultures :rolleyes:

lunasg wrote:

He alway saw to my eyes and i saw his love. More slence in our love. we are feel the love in kisses. It's nice :> . We broke up, he came back his country.

Luna

Dear Luna!
The 'love' you and your ex-bf had is not a love,really. From your quote it's clear to point out that's 'something different' than real love. Anyway before learn English you should learn some love. If your boy friend really loved you, am sure he never dump you like this. Sorry if am troubling you!
To learn English,in your case, you don't need a native speaker now. Start with a good Vietnamese teacher who teach English for communication. Later when you feel better you may learn with foreigner teacher or you can join and practice in some clubs. All you need now is a good base of English language system. Good luck!

charmavietnam wrote:
lunasg wrote:

He alway saw to my eyes and i saw his love. More slence in our love. we are feel the love in kisses. It's nice :> . We broke up, he came back his country.

Luna

Dear Luna!
The 'love' you and your ex-bf had is not a love,really. From your quote it's clear to point out that's 'something different' than real love. Anyway before learn English you should learn some love. If your boy friend really loved you, am sure he never dump you like this. Sorry if am troubling you!
To learn English,in your case, you don't need a native speaker now. Start with a good Vietnamese teacher who teach English for communication. Later when you feel better you may learn with foreigner teacher or you can join and practice in some clubs. All you need now is a good base of English language system. Good luck!

I agree, but experience has it that neither would understand that

- on the guys side the lustful feelings running through his body was not true love, but just the effect of a beautiful thin young (prob) girl fancying him did  a lot for his ego and boosted production of hormones

- and I guess a typical western single male, early 30s,  with 'yellow fever' (old term but adapt) doesn't normally know that he has it. Don't flame me it it happens seen it so many times. Can affect younger good looking males too though.... the effect is funny to watch....

- he wants to stay but ugly financial issue. Old job no good in Asia. Needs an income! so leaves heart broken.

- girls side 'rich' white westerner showers lovely romantic comments at her and she fall in love (not putting down Asian women as western women also assess wealth naturally for long term relationships but 'the grass is always greener' effect comes into play here as well as 'white kids are pretty' effect that is subconcious social programming - mostly before the age of 8 we are slave to it )

- all hormones no real connections as language barrier massive. So no development of feelings beyond loins

- and the best one.... that "submissive" Asian gf / wife becomes picky and dominant. The number of times I hear men complaining about that makes me laugh. All women seek to change men. Get used to it! If a woman loves you and see you long term she wants the best from you. Just do as told. Especially in Singapore. They are the experts at nagging!

All tongue in cheek comments I add but from real observations of the species Homoeuropeansapienhornyexpatus and their mating rituals :P

I think have onething is true in Vietnam: They keep a lot of time to learn english " 6 years in high school & in university " but cant speak nature. ( I mean most all, not mean all )

And according my opinion : Improve vocabulary by reading ex: enter this page and read and learn a lot... After need to have a chance to practise with foreigner uasually ( it is the best way ).

Yuli

@Philong: Love helps us become better people. Do you think she did that as she worried about your health and safety?
(sorry to be off topic)