Guat Basics for Newbie - help, please

I'd like to consider a move to Guat, but my wife insists on answers to the following before she'll even visit:

- How frequently does the electricity "go out?"

- Same for phone service, and are cell phones common and reliable?

- Does the average home have hot water and reliable plumbing?

Generally speaking, I am referring to a 60k-120k USD purchase or a 400-800/mo rental in a GC or Antigua suburb. I realize that a shack in the middle of nowhere has none of the above.

I'm fighting an uphill battle here, but if I can convince her that we're not considering a move to a total third world collection of caves, she will consider it. I just need to get the ball rolling with some basic encouragement from people who know.

Help me if you can. Thanks!

Oh, one more question... compared to the American midwest, will an arachnaphobe have a difficult time in Guat?

Let's see if I can help,

I have lived in Ciudad San Cristobal (Mixco) basically just outside of Guate on the highway to Antigua. It is a middle to some would say upper-middle class suburb. I am currently just outside San Lucas (Half way between San Cristobal and Antigua). San Cristobal was probably an easier place to start as it seemed to me at least to be very "North-Americanized" with regards to shopping, restaurants and entertainment, as well as being close to both the city, and Antigua. If you need to venture to the city often then San Cristobal is good, safe, if not Antigua is beautiful and relaxed.

The power goes out for an hour every now and then, even in the better areas, if I could count I would say a couple of times per month.

As far as housing goes, it depends what you are looking for house price wise, You can find decent houses for 50-60K in decent areas. The newer townhouses in the suburbs tend to be closer to $100K. Renting is cheap, in Ciudad San Cristobal and as well not bad in Antigua. You can def. find good places in your budget.

In San Cristobal we just used a hot water heater in the shower (the cheap way). In San Lucas we have a hot water tank. (easily available). There are stores similar to Home Depot here named (Cemaco and Novex)

Cell phones are super easy, I usually purchase unlocked phones when I am up in North America, and just pop a sim card in it from Claro or Tigo (costs like $4 for a sim card).

Things have been easy for me here though as this is my wife's home country.

Spiders...well there are some around the city and Antigua area, I have seen a trantula once in my house, and the garden spiders can be a little on the large size, but it is nothing terrifying.

Hope that gives you some insight.

That is enormously helpful; many thanks for addressing each question specifically.

I would welcome any additional thoughts, or notes from others as well. Thank you!

Following your guidelines
1. Electricity does not go out much at all
2. Anyone and everyone has a cell if the poorest people. The service is very reliable, only a few dead spots around the country where you will lose a call. But in Antigua Guatemala City Pana and the coast, the service is fine.
3. Yes home in the price range you mentioned have indoor plumbing, hot water and even bathrooms. Not necessary to look for an outhouse:cool:
Guategringo

Thank you!

Is the electricity in most areas sufficient to support multiple appliances at once?

110/220 in my house. I always have the fridge going, we have an electric stove, washing machine hair dryers four computers... four television sets... etc. etc