Plan go to Cairo recently, Need Advise!

Plan go to Cairo recently, want know the situation there.

1.The first I been there is 2008, how difference during the 5 Years?
2.is the politic secure now?
3.theives everywhere?
4.What are the good areas for a foreigner to stay? and how much for rent a apartment or hotel per day (average price) in those areas?
5.Whats the best way to make friend with local people?

please give me some advises, thank you!

Hey Donysisi,

I came to Egypt after the revolution and have been here almost 2 years. As far as security goes I have never felt safer elsewhere. I have no hesitation walking alone by my self at night. I'm sure there is the odd thief here and there, and I have heard a few stories, but I have heard a lot more and worse where I am from originally.

In terms of the political situation, I think that largely matters on where abouts you live and hangout. Where I live in Nasr City I have never encountered any problems, in terms of protests and stuff. And I make sure I stay clear of those areas that are prone, such as Tahrir sq etc.

Unfortunately in terms of making friends with local people, I am of no help. I still have no Egyptian friends :( where I live there are a lot of foreigners so I am not short of foreign friends.

I hope that helps a little :)

thanks a lot!  Nasr City? where is it?

Donysisi wrote:

Plan go to Cairo recently, want know the situation there.

1.The first I been there is 2008, how difference during the 5 Years?
2.is the politic secure now?
3.theives everywhere?
4.What are the good areas for a foreigner to stay? and how much for rent a apartment or hotel per day (average price) in those areas?
5.Whats the best way to make friend with local people?

please give me some advises, thank you!

to answer your questions

1) it's not the same country it was in 2012. it changes dramatically on a daily basis. People aren't as nice and friendly as they used to be. prices are outrageous, no police anywhere and crime is substantially high.

2) politic situation is NOWHERE near secure. still lots of turmoil.

3) Thieves are everywhere but what makes it worse is the police situation. Just be aware of your surroundings and you should be fine.

4) Maadi, Al Rehab, Madinaty and Zamalek. prices range from 5000 EGP to 1500 USD per  month. this is due to the influx of Syrians entering the country, the EGP losing value, etc.. it's best to really shop around in area that you'll be working in.

5) just be yourself and you'll be fine. My friends aren't Egyptian so I'm not sure but it's like everywhere else. You have to really decide if you'll stick to the Expat community or the local one. It's your personal preference.

Hey,meems74
its very helpful, many thanks!

Maadi, Al Rehab, Madinaty and Zamalek. at least I get some name to looking for. thanks again!

Donysisi wrote:

Hey,meems74
its very helpful, many thanks!

Maadi, Al Rehab, Madinaty and Zamalek. at least I get some name to looking for. thanks again!

You're very welcome. I wish you the best of luck!