Living in hanoi

Hi all,

Just to know that what is the expected salary a foreigner should earn in order to live comfortable in Hanoi? The amount earn shall include the tax and accommodation.

Thanks for your comments~

Comfortable is a relative word. You should specify what a comfortable lifestyle means to you: e.g. how often you expect to go out (restaurants, bars), how often you want to travel, what kind of neighborhood you like living in etc.

In a week, 1-2 times hang out to have my meal in the restaurant, travel once in 3 months time, stay in a simple room with A/C equipped, go for gym room 5 times a week. I dont really like Alcohol. But I still can drink when there is invitation from friends in Hanoi.

You can live a comfortable lifestyle for under $1K per month; maybe as low as $800.

It depends on what district will you live in Hanoi. Generally,$600 is minimum to have comfortable lifestyle nhe'.Welcome to Vietname and live by your style^^

Thank u so much for your comments! :) Hope to see u guys again!

Hi

Hi,

Having lived in Hanoi for 5 years, I can tell you that there are 3 categories of expats. And each one lives according to its purse and purpose for being in the city.
1.One is the young, inexperienced, looking for a job, or goal and who earns nothing but ready  to do any job. Usually, this category can survive decently on a $600-1000
2. The second one is a more seasoned traveler, but who wants to try it out living in Vietnam, either because they are fed upp of their coutry of origin, for its climate, have been sacked, made redundant, unemployed or just want a change. They come with a bit of savings and can start and live comfortably getting a small paid job within the expat circle. They imbibe and live in very local ways (to save money), not by choice. They ride a bike, don't spend much on clothes, eating out in big restaurants etc. Their purse of 1000-2000 gets them comfortably in the city, and they can even afford a maid and short holidays in the area.
3. The third category is from the cream of the expats, made of diplomats, executives, consultants, experts, etc. They start with a minimum package of 6000$ to 25000 at most. Some earn more. They usually enjoy big houses, villas, modern, swish apartments within prime locations, have amaid, a driver, a cook a nanny and come with their family. They enjoy most of the pleasures, status, comfort that the expat life can give. Although you may find many working for charitable organisations, they certainly don't live in a charitable way.
Here you go, see where you fit in and you'll know how much of dough you need to live in this fast evolving city.
Hanoi is no longer part of the city we know from its war torn historic past. The place is boiling with hardworking people eager to make money and live better. You will be shocked by the space and comfort they enjoy in their new dwellings. Their life style will not take long to follow this rapid change.
Hanoi is ripe for opportunity seekers. Go and grab yours and live happily.

Hi Chioi,

Thank you so much for your comment. I think I know which categories I am in now. I actually got a job in Vietnam with an expatriate package whereby the company provides most of the basic needs to me. I think I would life comfortable in this country which is new for me. Thank u so much!