Rheumatoid Arthritis medications

Can anyone tell me if the RA medications, Enbrel (etanercept) and  Plaquenil (Hydroxychloroquine) would be available for my husband who relies on these to help with his RA stiffness and joint pain?  He is currently under the care of a Rheumatologist here in the states.

We're looking to relocate for early retirement next year, but the availability of these medications are a concern wherever we decide to go. 

I'm hoping that a change in climate and lifestyle would help the RA naturally, as well.

Well, I'm a bit distressed because through a reply to this post, I was able to contact a local, English speaking pharmacist in Cuenca about my husband's medications.  One is readily available and easy to the get but not the other.  It's difficult to obtain and will cost $900.  That's most of what we need to live on each month, so we'll have to figure out if anything can be done.

I'm sorry to hear that Laura. The whole medical issue is one of my primary reasons for wanting to re locate.
I hope that you and your husband can find some way to acquire the meds he needs, at a reasonable cost. It seems some meds are readily available, and cheaper, while others are very expensive. It all has to do with if it's an American manufacture, and not made elsewhere.
Perhaps you can get the one script from the US? Don't know if it's tied to your insurance coverage here or not.
Best Wishes to you both, I'm sure something will work out for you.
Neil

Wow -- $900?!?

In addition to Neil's thought of getting the med from the US -- perhaps you could ask your US doctor if there is an alternative medication that might work as well.

Hi .. Very interested in your post and very curious as to what medication you are not able to get .. I take 3 meds for the same medical condition. In Canada i would pay $400 plus a month but for the last 3 years we have lived on the road as we have travelled and between mexico and india i have been able To bUy my meds for as low as $30 a month.. Worth looking at buying and shipping from Mexico maybe? I buy 7 months at a time and have always travelled with the meds and had no problems even taking back into Canada,. Just worth looking at maybe even he travel to Mexico for a mini break.. Makes it well worth it and the meds are super safe and no problems with quality. It is not as cheap as $30 in Mexico but still very cheap compared to North America. What is the medication that you are not able to get?

@ clickchick:  As my original post says, the medications were Enbrel (etanercept) and  Plaquenil (Hydroxychloroquine).  The pharmacist told my that the Plaquenil was available and easy to get, but not the Enbrel.  He said it was hard to get and would cost $900, which is what it costs here.  We don't have a problem here in the states with the cost because of my husband's health insurance through his job, which picks up most of that.  Of course he won't have that anymore once he retires, though.

We are looking into ways that we would be able to work around this.  I'm looking into health insurance and/or a possible alternative to the Enbrel that may be just as effective; something that would be readily available in Ecuador, as well as affordable.  We really want to make this move and are trying to do whatever we can to make it happen. I'm also hoping that a major change in lifestyle and diet might actually help to control the Rheumatoid Arthritis so he wouldn't need serious medication...that's a hope and prayer for us. 

If you would like the information on the pharmacist in Cuenca that gave me this information, send me a private message and I would be happy to send you the information, so you could check on the availability of what meds you would need.  :)

We're working on that, Neil!  xoxo

Laura

Would love to chat as i have had 5 year of debilitating pain from various auto immune issues.. I am now pain free and live on and keep that balanced with minimal medication but yes MAJOR changes to diet!!! Just spent 6 months in India and did a course in Ayurvedic medicine.. I would say for sure a great place to start: NO sugar, no alcohol. No caffeine and i did no gluten or dairy ( i now include but keep it light) also became vegetarian.. But it is all worth it to have quality of life and i think you are right climate is also massive!! Not sure of your  email but would be more than happy to chat further and help in any way i can and share.. I have never used emberol myself. I know how much of a struggle this can be and no having quality of life!!

Laura,

email me.  The Vice President of my old company treats his Rheumatoid Arthritis naturally in the states.  He has successfully relieved pain and stopped its effect. 

I can give you his contact information.

my email is themiddleoftheworldATgmail.com. 

make sure you replace the AT with the real thing. 

Mike

@Clickchick - please check your inbox on this site as I have sent you a private message

Mike, email has been sent

Thank you both for your willingness to share your info.  I'm sure I'll find it very helpful!

Hugs,
Laura

Hi Laura,

Let me know if you still are trying to figure out what are the best medications down here are for rheumatoid arthritis. My wife is a certified pharmacist and she can look in to some options for you.
I on the other hand am a nutritionist and can assure you that once you husband is on the coast his joint pains will disappear. This is a recurring theme I have seen among the expats here. 

Good luck

David

misha16 wrote:

Hi Laura,

Let me know if you still are trying to figure out what are the best medications down here are for rheumatoid arthritis. My wife is a certified pharmacist and she can look in to some options for you.
I on the other hand am a nutritionist and can assure you that once you husband is on the coast his joint pains will disappear. This is a recurring theme I have seen among the expats here. 

Good luck

David

Thanks, David!  We still have another year before we will be able to make the move, so for now we'll just wait and see.  Perhaps it would be good for a doctor in Ecuador to see him and make some recommendations.  I wonder if there are even many cases in that country, since the lifestyle is different.

We're not sure if we'll settle at the coast or the mountains yet, so it will take some time.  Our plan is to just get down there and then begin exploring different areas.  If the coastal area would help the RA, it would certainly be a huge plus.

I'm touched by the outreach of you who are willing to help.  You have no idea how important each one of you are in helping during this time of transition.  Thank you all so very much!  xoxo

Laura

Is enbrel available there? I take humeria once weekly only coming for a medical internship my dr is helping me get extra before I go and I am changing my dosing while i am there to help! I am also increasing my methotrexate to help! Methotrexate is readily available over there. Can he switch!

A little nurturing of your temple will cure the RA and give you back the power to heal yourself. Try the creator's way.

Cure Rheumatoid Arthritis Naturally

Exercise and stress relief (you can get both from yoga or tai chi, both recommended for arthritis) can help slow the progression of rheumatoid arthritis and perhaps reduce arthritic symptoms. However, natural rheumatoid arthritis treatment options such as omega 3 fatty acids from plants and coldwater fish can substantially reduce arthritis pain and other symptoms. The curcumin in turmeric can reduce the swelling at the root of rheumatoid arthritis pain.1 Likewise, the supplemental herb Feverfew is regarded as beneficial for RA patients due to anti-inflammatory properties.2 Our EC Community has contributed even more natural RA treatments below.

Hola David,
My husband has multiple myeloma and takes Revlimid to keep him in remission.  Is this medicine available in Ecuador?  If so what is the cost?

Thank you so much for helping us. 

Barbara

I had no luck finding Revlimid I am pretty sure its in Colombia,
Here we have Talidomide