Kuwait city, good areas to live with children

Hi,

I have a potential position in Kuwait but moving abroad with kids is not a simple thing to do. Which areas would you recommend for a family? I can see that there are many international schools in Hawalli area - would that be good? Is it expensive? I checked a couple apartment rental sites and the rents in that area started from 750KD which to me sounds quite high compared to prices I've seen you mention.

Do kids generally walk to schcool or is there transportation? These things of course affect as well.

Hi DOStorm!

Welcome to Expat.com!
I hope the other members of the forum will be able to help you out.

Regards
Armand

Dostorm, noone walks here so don't get too concerned about your location. :)

Also keep in mind that schools can get quite expensive here.

Kids either take a bus (my kids do) or the parents or drivers pick them up :)

howally is not good but salmia ok for kids school

Hi,

I am Florentina from Romania. My family (husband and 1 year old daughter) and I are coming to Kuwait City in September.

I would also like to know more about areas which are child friendly. I see that people recommend Salmia. What makes it different from other areas?

Is it more expensive?

Are there any Romanian families with children around?

Thank you in advance for your help!

I would say that the main thing that makes Salmiya different are the crowd and traffic jams. I was also told to go to Salmyja and I am happy I didn't. Now if I have to I can go there, but I don't get to enjoy the horrible traffic every single day while trying to get home. Keep in mind that in Kuwait everything is 30 minutes away by car.

Thanks, Ribosom!

Salmiya in my view is a nightmare for traffic and parking. Been here 3 years but a lot of people with kids seems to live in that area - so maybe good for kids to make friends. No one walks to school. We live in Mangaf and have whole large villa opposite the Hilton. We have membership of Hilton too. If you have a car driving anywhere will take at least half hour.

Ok, so Salmya is no longer an option... ;)

Thanks a lot for the info!

Good advice from overseasq8. Find an area you are interested in then visit the apartment blocks in person. This will save you agents fees. Also, if the place is full they will call you when one becomes vacant. FYI my son (single) just rented a brand new 2 bed apartment in Salmya for KD650/month unfurnished. Luxury place though.

Thank you a lot!
It is really helpful!

One more thing: My husband's job is somewhere in Mina Abdullah... Should this influence our decision in choosing an area where to live?

Thanks again!

In that case Mahboula and Mangaf areas. Refinery at Mina Abdullah is long way from city.

But are these two areas nice?
I mean, are there malls and places to go out?
Are they child friendly?
Are we going to find a decent 1/2 bedroom apartment, preferably furnished, within 300-400KD ?(this is our ideal budget, but we can extend it to 500KD...

My husband is starting work on July 15, on July 12 he is flying for Kuwait, so he's only got 2-3 days to find an apartment. Knowing from the beginning where we want to stay will make his search a little easier... :)

Thanks again!

In my opinion much nicer that Salmiya - but I live here. You have a very nice mall (Al Kout) next to the marina. There are many beaches. Bigger mall is Avenues which is maybe 25 mins away. Great play areas for kids. Lots good restaurants in Mangaf/Mahboula. As I said before we are members of the Hilton so have access to their pool and beach. Not sure what standard you are looking for, but good furnished 2 bed place available for KD350. Sea front with sea view, unfurnished luxury about KD600

There are also serviced apartments available on short lease (week/month) which you might consider, giving your husband more time too look. Single bedroom probably works out around KD350/month inclusive

Yes, I am indeed a little bit too worried!
It's our first time living abroad! It's understandable, I suppose! :)
We just want to have a comfortable stay, in a nice area and not too far from my husband's work...

One more thing: You said something about a refinery in Mina Abdullah? I had no idea about any refinery there!!! Now I am really worried cause Romania is a country full of refineries and I am sick of the pollution! :)
My husband's job is in Mina Abdullah, but for an oil and gas company (service providers). He didn't say anything about a refinery around! Hmmmm!

I'll have to investigate deeper! :)

Thank you again for your advice! You are being really kind!

Hi Johnybegud,

Yes, this is exactly what we are looking for!
How do you obtain a Hilton membership?

When you said you can stay in a "good furnished 2 bed place available for KD350", you were referring to Mangaf/Mahboula?
What about the play areas for kids? Also in Mangaf/Mahboula?

All inclusive apartment means that it includes the cost of utilities (gas, water, electricity)?

thanks!

Pls also reply to my pollution question.
Is the area more polluted because of the refinery from Minah Abdullah or it is not that close to the refinery?

thanks!

If this is your first overseas posting it can be difficult, no question. I have lived in 16 countries over 35 years so have some idea. First of all it is very hot here in the summer (47deg C yesterday) so there are no outside kids play areas. Pollution from refineries rarely reaches the areas I mention (perhaps you get a smell 2-3 days year when wind is from south. You are quite a distance from any refinery - suggest you look at Google maps. You will never see them.
Biggest pollution here is from wind blown sand/dust but again only a few times/year. There is s good indoor play area in Mahboula at Kuwait Magic. Really good one in Avenues (Google it). You don't say how old your children are or if they ate going to school. Any questions in that regards email me as my wife is a schoolteacher in a British school 4/5 year olds.
The prices I have given you are current and known in Mangaf and Mahboula. There are cheaper places, but these are good quality. Inclusive prices include gas, electric, broadband (but don't expect great speed in an apartment block).
Also consider 'villa floors'. These are completely independent self contained floors of large villas. Generally unfurnished they can go up to 4 bedrooms. Generally much larger than an apartment but will not have apartment amenities (pool, gym etc)

Thank you for the specific details, johnybegud!
You are of great help to us! :)

Hi,

My husband arrived to Kuwait on July 14th and after many days of searches, he found a very nice apartment in Al Manqaf, all inclusive, pool and fitness gym, with a sea view...
I am really happy and can't wait to get there!

Thanks for the advice! ;)

Wow! Really happy for you!

thanks! :)