Amazon Kindle repair service?

The main navigation button on my Kindle reader suddenly stopped working.Does anyone know a repairman who could have a look?

Thank you

Evi

Contact Amazon, tell them what happened and ask what can be done about it. They will likely offer to send you a free replacement. If they don't, or if shipping costs would be too high, you can still look for a Kindle surgeon.

Hi,

thank you for your suggestion, however I bought it more than a year ago from a reseller in Czech Republic and I do not have the receipt.
I assume my only option is to find a Kindle surgeon, does anyone know one here?

Thanks

Evi

Have a look at this page from Amazon, it gives you info on how to reset your Kindle....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/custome … =200504350

Terry

Also see this as it seems the time you hold the reset for is critical.

"Within minutes the tech support person told me I needed to have the exact timing of sliding and holding the power switch for 15 seconds exactly, then release.  I did this and the KIndle 3 reboot.

Now the instructions were not totally clear to hold for 15 seconds only and release for a hard reset.  I thought I would hold for at least 15 seconds, then release."

Hope this helps,

Terry

I tried to restart it (although I do not have a problem for which restarting the device suggested). I held the button for 20 sec as was told in the video and now I have a blank screen and I cant turn it on:(

I assume I have a mechanical problem with the 5-way navigation button as the rest is working/worked fine before the restart.

Anyway, I think I will have to find a professional to see if it can be rescued at all.

Thanks

Evi

It says it is critical to hold the button for exactly 15 sec not 14 or 17 or 20.
Try again and time it to exactly 15 sec and it should reset.

Terry

This advice is given when the navigation button stops working.

Terry

In the meantime it is possible to read the contents of your Kindle on a PC or a Mac.

This is done by connecting the Kindle to a PC or Mac then browsing to: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/r … 1000493771

Download and follow the instructions.

pevi wrote:

Anyway, I think I will have to find a professional to see if it can be rescued at all.

Thanks

Evi

I expect it will be more expensive to repair than to replace.
Look at my other post and you should find that all your downloaded books are on a 'Cloud' and available for download to a PC/Mac or download to a new Kindle.

Thank you all for your advice. After couple of tries I managed to restart it, however the 5-way navigation button still works only partially ( I can select with it, but can not move to left-right, up-down). I still hope  that it is something what can be repaired easily.

Thanks

Evi

Having done some research it appears that this failure is very common, usually after about 2 years.
It also appears that some Kindle repairs can be effected (usually screen related)but I have not seen one site or spare part specifically related to this switch.
Knowing the components and 'science' behind things like this and the way they are manufactured and put together I still fear that short of gluing the switch with 'superglue' (be very careful)if it were to break, would be as far as you could go.

As you can see from the pictures below, it appears that the 5 way switch (hidden)is under the printed circuit board. Ignore the red circled items.

http://www.rapidrepair.com/guides/kindle-dx/kindle-dx-images/kindle-dx-system-board-removal-1.jpg

http://www.rapidrepair.com/guides/kindle-dx/kindle-dx-images/kindle-dx-system-board-out-1.jpg

Good luck and I hope I am wrong and more than willing to be proven wrong but I think a replacement device is the way forward.
It will also depend upon which Kindle model you have.

or a book!!!

pevi wrote:

thank you for your suggestion, however I bought it more than a year ago from a reseller in Czech Republic and I do not have the receipt.

If you have an Amazon account, I would still contact Amazon first. Tell them how much you've enjoyed your Kindle so far etc. and maybe ask them if they can recommend a place in Malta where your Kindle could be repaired. Who knows, even if they don't offer you a replacement they might actually be able to help you there. In any case, Amazon really want you to use their device and they have a more liberal replacement policy for Kindles than for other electronic items, so I would contact them anyway.

Worst thing that can happen is you lose the time it takes to write to Amazon. On the other hand, opening your Kindle and fiddling with the inner parts is probably not going to make it more likely to receive a replacement. I would do that only when it's clear you're not going to get a new one.

Good luck!

Having read the Amazon forums on this subject that is not going to happen imo.
They may offer a discount on a new one though.