Moving to Beijing

Hi all,

I was offered a job in Beijing in one of the International schools. I would like to know the living conditions in Beijing, ie, cost of living, quality of living and etc. Any information is appreciated. And if you can give me input about teaching in international school in Beijing, that will be great too.

Thanks in advance,
Jenny

Living in Beijing is great. Living expense is similar in the Philippines. Food I think is much cheaper though if you can eat in some hole in the wall establishments. subways are great means of transportation. 13 pesos and you can go anywhere in Beijing. Summer is approaching so pepare your sunblock and lots of water. Hope it helps. :)

Great to know that , thanks.. Should be there in August.. How's the pollution in Beijing?

Pollution level vary. Normal the worst pollution days are on consecutively windless days in winter.

Spring occasionally sees bad days when winds bring in sand from Mongolia.

Thanks for the info..

News outside China are always right. Yes, pollution here in China is very very very bad!

congrats!!! is this ur first IS? usually great. everything taken cared of. u will meet enuf peeps at ur school n they will tell u n help u with almost everything.

Not my first IS but first time in China..Thanks.

Hi, my name is Devin. Been in Beijing for 8 months, I'm no expert... but if you have anymore specific questions, let me know!

Hi Devin,

Thanks for the offer. As of now, I don't have questions yet. I am still overwhelmed with the last week of work :-). Will message you when questions come to mind.

Cheers,
Jenny

No problem... talk to you then!

jen who is that white man seating sitting beside you :D
im fairly new here and adjusting slowly to life here.
if for anything..my inbox is open for you.  if you dont get much posting response dont fret much..it's just the way it is here sometimes :)

Hi,

A random guy in Phuket. Hehehe

Thanks. As of now, I don't have any questions just yet. I am waiting for my papers to get translated to Chinese and then my invitation and other documents to be mailed to me.

I will keep in touch with you if I do need some information.

Thanks heaps,
Jen

np take your time

Devin,

Are u still in Beijing. I just arrived few days ago..

Jenny hi and Welcome to Beijing

Hi Jenny,

I'll be in Beijing in a few weeks as well to work in an international school. One thing you might want to check with your school administration before arriving is the kind of accomodation you can get according to your visa / work contract.
Mine is a long-term Z visa, and I absolutely need the flat owner to be able to register me to the police as a tenant, else I can be kicked out immediately.
It seems some (a lot?) of people are not registered, especially those working in the private sector, but if, like me, you are under the supervision of the foreign affairs state department of your country, it might be needed.
Hope that helps.

Of course, anyone correct me if I'm wrong ;-)

Hi,

I arrived in Beijing few days ago and I am now in my flat. I should be registered just like the other foreign teachers in here. Thank you for letting me know though, it's something I should check with my school admin.

You should be excited moving here too.. :-)

Cheers!

Tikaf hi

You are not correct.

Everyone* has to be registered with the local police station (aka Public Security Bureau aka PSB).

This has to be done within 24 hours of arriving / moving into the property. In theory you can be fined for late registration. I do not know people who have this fine imposed but I have known people who were severely warned by the PSB that next time ....

If one lives in a hotel it is done by the reception without the guest even knowing that it is part of the registration process.

If one lives in an apartment then it is the person's responsibility to do it.

This "Registration Form of Temporary Residence" and your passport should be with you 24/7. If the police stop you they will want to see both. In practice most people carry a photocopy with them or have a scanned copy in their smart-phone. I am not 100% sure that the police will accept the photo/scanned copy. I know that since I drive I keep the originals (+ driving and car licence) with me at all times.

There is no connection between the type of visa and the need for this registration. If your friend/relative/whoever come to visit you they too need to register.

* Everyone includes Chinese non-Beijing hukou holders.
Chinese nationals don't normally have to worry about the 24 hour rule.