From Boston to Hanoi.

Hi All,

I'm a new member here. A native Bostonian and Vietnamese American heading to Hanoi in June for an 8 week internship.

What are some must know quick tips that I should be aware of? Anything in particular I should not leave home without? I've travelled quite extensively (Lithuania, Republic of Georgia, South Korea, Japan, Denmark) However, this is the longest length of time I will spend away from friends and family.
I've been to HCMC twice, the last time was in 2007. But I imagine it's going to be quite different living in a different region this time around.

Thanks and advance. Cheers!

Steph

People and the lifestyle in Ha Noi are quite different from the ones in HCM city. And if you come to Ha Noi, should find out some friends to show you around first, they can give you some advices about where you should live in, how to travel around, how to pick up something and avoid to be cheated, bla bla bla... :) Just feel free to contact me when you come here, I'm living in Ha Noi and I'm willing to help you if you want.

Regards,
Linh

Thanks Linh!

Drop me a message when y come to HN, through my email: [email protected]
Anything you need my support in HN.

I'm partially reposting from another simliar thread.

High SFP Sunscreen - If you have sensitive skin needing above 35 SPF, bring your own... the max I've ever seen is 50 SPF and that was once. I bring back the 100 SPF for family members whenever I come visit.

Good toilet paper... the stuff in VN is crap (see what I did there??) Really any paper products, if you fancy them... paper towels, napkins, tissues, etc.

If you're going to miss the comfort foods from home, bring your fav hot chocolate, popcorn, cookie/brownie/pancake mix. I didn't see those specific items. You can find most other things in VN.

If you're going to scooter around, I'd invest in a DOT-rated half helmet from the US. You can get one from Amazon for around $15-20. I'd use bike/skate/snow helmets before most of the ones you'll find in VN.

Things you should buy in Vietnam:

Outlet adapter (not converter), about $0.25... changes our US 3-prong into 2-prong. Good for charging laptops, phone, camera, etc. (just make sure your power supply can work on the additional voltage)

LastInTranslation there is one brand of paper products that I found in the METRO about 6 years ago. It's called "Pulppy Supreme" Really close to US standards as far as TP goes, they also have under the same name (Pulppy) paper towels and napkins that are quality products to. For Kleenex I buy a brand named "Cellox" it's imported from Thailand again good quality, close to US standards. I'm sure there are other stores besides Metro that carry these products.

I've used Pulppy.... sorry, not a fan.

Give me Charmin or give me death!

No toilet paper needed.  Just use the high pressure hose located next to toilet.  Just an fyi, do not use the towel at the toilet to wipe the sweat off your face.  It is for drying your bottom.  Hope this helps....

Don't underestimate the importance of TP, even for drying purposes.

Hi Stephanie,

Welcome to Expat-Blog forum! I hope you will have a pleasant stay in Hanoi. Cheers.

Tom

1. Hanoi is a busy place... a lots of noise lo!
2. you can get stuffs for foreigner too so i don't think it will be an issue
3. becareful if you use taxi don't take the taxi you don't know... there are some good company taxi like  Hanoi Taxi(04)38.535353)and some other Noibai Airport taxi, Thanh Nga ... however, Hanoi Taxi is the best one i think
4.  don't walking in a dark and quiet place at nite
5. becareful with you bag, money, phone and others valuable stuffs when u are on a tourist place or on the street. there are a few pick pocket.... and a lots of other things, u can find down when u are here... Hanoi is a nice place so i think u will enjoy ur time here.

Let me know if u need help from local people like me :) ( [email protected] my email)

welcome to Hanoi, inbox me if u have time for food discovering, Im obsessed with Hanoi's food, so delicious, thats all I suggest to u, dont worry about diet, our food also very healthy :P

Thank you all so much for the thoughtful and helpful suggestions. Just arrived in this beautiful city and ready to get immersed in life here. :)

Have u got any phone number? just post it on and everyone will be able to contact u

Hello guys -> For safety reasons, I will advise you to avoid posting your phone number on a public forum. You can use your private message system. ;)

[Sorry for the off topic]

Thank you,
Aurélie

Yeah, I don't quite understand why native Viets are so ok with posting their phone numbers publicly (which then leads to an expectation that everyone else will post theirs as well).

because in Vietnam normally we use 2 mobile phone numbers, one for family or important contacts, one for other relationships. That could be one of the reason why we easily post the second phone number on forums. But you're right, for safety issues, we shouldnt give out our mobile phone number :)

Hi stephanienguyen,wellcome to Expat home.I'm very happy to make fiend with you.Nice to meet you!!!!!!

My office is moving locations to Hai Ba Trung District on Tran Nhan Tong Street. Does anyone have any good leads on short term apartment rentals in the area? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

And again thank you for all the helpful tips! I've been wondering what that hose was next to every toilet! Now I know! :D

stephanienguyen wrote:

My office is moving locations to Hai Ba Trung District on Tran Nhan Tong Street. Does anyone have any good leads on short term apartment rentals in the area? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

And again thank you for all the helpful tips! I've been wondering what that hose was next to every toilet! Now I know! :D

Near my home, when do you arrive?
How style apartment do you live? and your budget?

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]