Questions about living in Nevis

It looks more and more that I will be moving to Nevis.

I have sooo many questions.  Starting with food. I eat a pretty healthy diet, no junk food, mainly salads, small amounts of chicken or fish and health drinks.   So, is it easy to buy small electrical appliances?  Such as blenders, coffee grinders (for my flax seeds)  and for that matter, unground flax seeds?  Are fresh veggies readily available?

I'm always a target for mosquitoes.  Are they a problem there?

What is the best area to live in for safety?

Are there volunteer programs?

I am looking forward to moving there.

Thanks for your help,
CdnExpat

Hello CdnExpat,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Greetings from Nevis.
I have lived here over 10 years (Canadian expat from Southern Ontario).
Of course there are mosquitoes here which is why most expat homes are screened and those that are not, most sleep under nets.  I live on the side of the mountain where there is constant breeze so do not have a problem much.  They are much smaller here than in Canada but they still sound like a 747 if they find you in the night and they bite with the same hunger as Canadian mosquitoes.
Small appliances are available here but expensive and not long lasting but then even those brought from home don't last as long in this climate - learn to do without some if you can with the exception of a good coffee maker.
Fresh produce is readily available (wash it carefully before eating) and be careful of fish. You want to do your homework in this area as some fish (reef feeders) are highly poisonous ie barracuda, grouper and small snapper.  I do not eat any fish that is local for this reason and I do have an almost total fish/chicken diet.
Nevis is safe but you must take certain precautions.  Don't carry cash - open a checking account at a local bank.  Stay away from places where drugs are known to be available as this makes you a target for those looking for means to get their own supply.
There are many good programs looking for volunteers; youth development, museums, etc.  Choose carefully as volunteers are few and those who do get involved work very hard.  Hope this has helped you.  Good luck and welcome to Nevis - Paradise.