Hello on my way to Malta

Hello,

My name is Wendy and I am a single parent looking to move to Malta once I have nailed down a job.  I am an IT developer and just started sending out CV as of yesterday.

I presently live in the UK and hold dual passports for UK and USA.  I was born in the UK and then moved to the USA for 20 years.  I have been back in UK for only 4 years and miss the weather hence why I am moving to a hotter climate.

Little nervous as this is the first time I have moved with my 3 year old daughter and trying to work out how to rent a place before I even get there so we have some where to go when we arrive.

Could some one recommend a good real estate company as I need to rent a house as I will also be bringing my toy poodles with me?

Question:  When I arrive I will have dog carriers, suite cases and buggy, is there large taxis at the airport or would I need to order one in advance?

My daughter is 3 will I need her car seat for the taxi?

Lots to think about and so many questions.

Have a great day! :top: produces

Hello Wendy,

Welcome to Expat.com!

your topic has been moved on the Malta forum.

Thank you,
Christine

What I did was come over for  a few days about a month before moving, to find a place to live. I'd definitley recommend it especially with a child and dogs to manage.

I found the letting agents varied around dogs, some don't want to know, others are more helpful. I also found that there was more chance of dog friendly places in central or north areas, which may not be ideal for you if you end up working in the more built up areas.

Also you may not get a house, you may, but don't necessarily expect a garden. Most outside space here is on the roof of houses. And houses seem to be on several floors, so you'd have lots of steps. I ended up with an apartment with a huge terrace, which is my garden substitute ;-) my two dogs are fine with it so far.(They get 2 walks a day though)

I know you can pre book taxis from the airport, as I've done that in the past wehn coming here on holiday

I drove down, was a lot less daunting than I expected, and meant I have my car here and was much easier for bringing dogs and "stuff"

Hi, there will be large enough vehicles at the airport. To make sure you don't get 'taken advantage of price wise, when you exit the last arrivals door look to your slightly diagonal left and to the right of the ATM machines. There you will find a pre-pay taxi stall to get your taxi.
You may find that no one takes any notice of your CV's unless you are there to hand them in, in person. Also, it is very risky to rent without seeing. I too would recommend a visit first. Good luck.

I sent you a PM....   the company I work for needs dev's and they are a great company as far as malta goes.

me3512 wrote:

I sent you a PM....   the company I work for needs dev's and they are a great company as far as malta goes.

Hi, Could you PM me also as I work along Wendy and also moving to Malta as soon as my house is sold.

Many thanks

Namasta wrote:

Could some one recommend a good real estate company as I need to rent a house as I will also be bringing my toy poodles with me?

These are some of the biggest:
RE/MAX malta ( http://www.remax-malta.com/ )
Frank Salt ( http://www.franksalt.com.mt/ )
Simon Mamo ( http://www.simonmamo.com/ )
Dhalia ( http://www.dhalia.com/ )

Ken, PM me your number I have some contacts for you.

Jules

Hello Wendy,

What a brave move for you, and I wish you luck, with your experience in Dev you will have no problem getting work her in Malta, what is your speciality ??

The Climate in Malta is one of the Best in the World, and has great Summers (Very Warm) and a cooler winter.  Be aware though that inside the homes in the Winter you will find it cold unless you have some sort of heating.

Depending upon your Job and the are that you want then this will also depend on the Agent, there are good agents around the Island such as Dahlia, Frank salt etc. I would actually see if you could do a weeks visit to speak to some agents and look round the Island. Most of the Main IT companies are central / North of the Island, but the Cheaper properties are in the South.

You, as Mick said, will be able to get a Taxi large enough at the airport so this will be no problem, you book the taxi at the airport when you come through customs turn left and head to the right hand corner. you will not need a car seat for her but a Raised seat may be useful.

Any other questions don't be afraid to ask, if you need any FX transfers then pm me also.

Julian