An other residency question

We have finally received a date to submit our residency application (sent the first email in January, received a date for October), so I would like to start to collect the necessary documents, but I am getting conflicting information.

My partner and I (we are not married) are both EU citizens, we have two children together and moved to Malta due to his job. How are we   supposed to prove our partnership? Someone wrote in an other post that 2 years living together in Malta is necessary, which we obviously do not have.
I am still employed in our home country, but currently on maternity leave (I do not receive any payments, but my health and pension contributions are covered). This will end in August. Do I have to get a private insurance or will I be covered by my partner's NI contributions?

Thank you for your help

Evi

Hi

Pevi

You will need a comprehensive reply from the seasoned experts (GnG, toon, Ricky …. Etc)

But I have just looked at some of the posts - 

michael78 - Even made a nice booklet with pictures to show the on-going relationship over-time. Clearly, you have kids – I am sure that will also come into play.

Thanks
Smeddie

Hi Evi,

usually the unmarried partnership is used by EU/non-EU couples who are not married and need this path to secure residency for the non-EU partner.

As you are both EU citizens you both only have to show income and health insurance for yourselves and the children to register for residency in Malta.

If you are cannot show that you live in a long-term durable relationship you will both have to apply on your own merits.

As you say you receive no payments and your health insurance coverage in Malta is questionable but not clear your best option would be to try and gain the family member status.Then you could take advantage of your partners NI contributions and health coverage. Ask the DCEA what proof would be accepted in your case.

Otherwise you have to convince the DCEA that your partner is supporting you and pay for private health insurance.

Are the children covered through your partners NI contributions?

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Evi,

Actually, I am in the same position as you guys. I am working as self-employed and I was also thinking in getting private health cover for my partner when we first got here, in other to make it easier for her residency status. Fortunately, she has just started a new job this week and as she already has a social security number, she will start paying her SC contributions, and therefore, will be covered from by the National Health.

I am not sure if that will work but, if you have documents for both of you proving that you have been living together in the same address for more than 2 years (outside Malta), you never know, they might accept.

I will too be interested if someone could provide further details in regards to your query.

Good luck!

Antonio

Thank you all for your replies. Of course my first stop was trying to ask DCEA, but so far I have not received an answer. How one shows long-term durable relationship? Birth certificates, mortgage contract, family pictures?

I would like to work after August, but I might not be able to find an employment before October. How much income will have my partner to have to show that he is able to support our family? He is employed with fixed salary.

What is going to be my status after August when I will have to end my employment back home as I will not be able to return to my position when my maternity leave ends. I am asking because back at home you either work (study) or in pension (old age or due to ill health) or a job seeker, who must register at the local employment office.

Thanks

Evi

Given that your partner is paying NI (National Insurance) contributions, you are entitled to Children's Allowance irrespective of your marital status.

https://secure3.gov.mt/socialpolicy/child_info

Thank you for the link. If I understand correctly applicant must meet all the criteria. If yes, we will be able to submit our application 3 months after we received our residence permit (most likely sometimes in 2014).

However I am more concerned with my official status than the possible financial support. Do I have to register as a job seeker  or I just stay home till I find an employment? Do I have to pay any kind of contributions (social, health, pension)until then or by being the partner of an employed person I am covered?