Clarity on work permits in Ghent.

Hi guys,

So I've been offered a job as a software developer in one of the leading startups in Ghent and I'm their first international hire. That means we don't have experience in obtaining work permits and don't really know the success ratio depending on my capabilities. As of the firm, its one of the newest and more successful startups from Ghent and they're decently respected. They offer their employees a good range of benefits and have a modern work culture.

As for myself, I've worked for two of the top startups in India and have experience working with some of the cutting edge trends in the software development industry - web development to be precise. I've been working for about two years as a web developer now and given I've worked well, I am pretty confident of my records.

What I'm feeling lost about is the chances for obtaining work permits. I've been getting mixed opinions about the process - on how long it takes and what my chances are for getting it. I also happen to be in a relationship with a Belgian but we're not considering marriage yet.

Some people have told me that the work permit granting process is easy for people belonging to the IT sector, while some have scared the wits out of me. Some people, including a friend of mine who is travelling to Brussels because her firm decided to post her there (she got a work permit) even claimed that it took just two weeks for her to get the work permit.

I definitely need clarity about this process. My documents just reached my employer and they're about to file a request in the next 2-3 days. So its close and I'm getting very anxious about the results.

It'll be extremely helpful if anyone, from India or elsewhere has been in a similar situation before, or has any more clarity on the process and my chances of getting the work permit, can give me an idea of what I should expect. I'll seriously owe you one.

Thanks in advance!

Hi gka,

First of all, relaaax...

If the firm that hires you is filing your work permit application, in normal scenario, the work permit is approved without much hassle. The hiring organization have to do pretty good amount of documentation when they apply for a work permit (especially when they hire from outside EU), but there are agencies specialized in this procedure, and I am sure your organization may be using one of such agencies or may have a documentation expert in house (in the HR). So, you dont need to worry about that !

I work for an international IT company in Brussels, and we have made at least 4 hiring in the last two years (all international) and in all cases, WP was approved in the first try.

For you, the hard part that I can foresee, is arranging the documentation and getting necessary attestation, etc in India :) (After you get your WP and when you apply for the visa :)). Feel free to message me if you need some help on this in due course. I did this couple of years back and still remember each step of it :)

All the best and see you in Belgium :)

Regards
Aneesh

gk: We are on the same boat... well not entirely. I just started my job search and my boyfriend is Belgian. Since I found this thread, you don't need to answer my questions in the other thread :) But I have one more question, I hope you would not mind if I asked..Do you have Masters or Phd? I wonder if it could increase the chance in getting WP. Gah I am worrying myself about WP, I have not even gotten myself a job in Belgium yet. Oh well...
Thank you very much for your post. It is very reassuring. I hope you are enjoying the Summer and rains in Belgium! :)

Hi Kokoyu,

As I replied to the other thread, get a job offer first and leave the WP part to your employer :)

Aneesh

This is quite a old thred now but i think GKA got sorted as he created another post about it later on