I need help with the pricing of a car

I found a car that I like on the local market. Liking is based solely on external aesthetics in my case. However liking a car is personal, and buying a car is strictly business. So my question is:

In your opinion how much is a 2009 Caprice SS worth with 175,000+ MILES (280,000 km+), if it has an ABS error?

Due to language problems I did not get to do anything besides getting the phone number of the seller, as the person doing the translation for me simply could not understand what I want from the seller.

Please, I need a correct pricing info for this high-mileage car. I do know the Kelly's Blue Book price for the car is $10600 in certified pre-owned condition, and around $7500 - $8000 depending on the additional errors and flaws I find. How does this translate to local price?

What r u looking for brand ? Ur Budget or target price ? I am in car business so i can help you.

I am looking for a used sports car (muscle cars are out of the question, as well as toyota craps). Budget range is around 60000 SR, as I will use a company loan to finance it.

Requirements:
Good engine, good drivetrain, detailed service record, no problems that would impact driving safety.
Not older than model year 2005 due to spare parts questions. I do not care about small crashes, minor scratches or if something bumped the roof slightly. Absolute requirement is good handling characteristic under all driving conditions and at all speeds. If it can not swirl and avoid at speeds of 120 kilometers per hour due to stability problems, or if it can not out-accelerate or out brake it's way from troubles at highway speeds than it is a no go. Turbo is out of the question due to turbo boost and turbo lag issues. Supercharger is not a problem.

Basically I am looking for a car that has enough power to force it's way from a full stop into Riyadh traffic traveling at 70-90 kilometers per hour. It should also have good handling characteristics. Since muscle cars can only go forward, I never considered them a contender. Brand: I really do not care as long as spare parts are available, and you can provide me with a service/repair manual and a parts catalog in any format.

More importantly: can you answer my original question about a fair price for that car? I was told, that it is available for 65000, but if I do not get any input on local car prices I will start bargaining from 35000.

Cars are aplenty, and at this point I have 3-4 cars researched and on my list.

Edit: I just realized: I need a 4 seater car, where a tall person can fit in the rear seats. So for example a Mazda RX-7 is out of the question due to space problems unless it has a _really_ good price...

Ok, so after looking at the current muscle cars they do come into consideration as long as they have good handling.

I just actually realized, that the Camaro SS is essentially a muscle car, because if I add an 5 psi supercharger it will jump to 500+ horse power with only minor modifications.

Still, I do not want a brick that can only go straight. I need a car that maneuvers well and can accelerate into dense and fast moving traffic safely.

What are your recommendations? Budget is preferred to be in the sixties, or maximum low seventies. Brand and mileage does not count if it is in good condition with regular maintenance. So I will take a car with 175000+ miles logged in the odometer without any fuss or questions if it is in good working order and has no problems. The way I see things: mileage is the distance the car ran from the last major overhaul. So if the driveshaft needs to be changed at every 100k miles, than the mileage is the distance since the last service.

You can also contact me on my email address: tolmik at nexusgold dot net

Just a quick advice, Caprice is one of the favorite cars for drifting gurus, so personally i don't want to get in this

You have a good budget of 60000 SAR, you said that you want a used car, not looking for muscle cars, not looking for 4X4 cars, i believe that you should search for a 2009 model (at least)

If you don't mind buing a Hyundai car, you can visit the reseller at Khurais road, they have some used cars but certified from them and they guarantee the car for you also because they did all necessary checks for it
i believe you can find a very good Azera 2010 which is almost new.

Anyway, good luck :)

SteganoRock wrote:

Just a quick advice, Caprice is one of the favorite cars for drifting gurus, so personally i don't want to get in this

Please rephrase in a way that I would understand it too. Why do you not want to get into getting a Caprice for any reasons? Can I have problems if I get a car that may have been used for drifting? Or is it actually forbidden to own a car that can be used for drifting? :O

The way I see things: The fact that your car has enough power and controllability to be used for drifting does not mean, that you have to do that too. For example a BMW 760 has enough power to ace most drag-races, but still many people use it for only everyday traffic. But this is only my thought. What I CAN tell you, is that the car we used and maintained back at home was the third fastest drag-racing car in the region. Then we purchased it used. And you know what? We never broke any speed limits with it even once. We simply got it because it was a good deal for a good car...
:P

Edit: If it was actually used for drifting, is there anything that would wore off quickly? What type of mechanical problems would I face in the future? On what part does "drifting" put extra pressure on?

@Tolmik,
SteganoRock has a point which don't mistake to underestimate. Let me share my experience. When I was planning on getting a new car back in 2006, a well-wisher asked me not to consider any car that would be good for drifting. I just didn't care and said that such car would be good and strong technically. I went for a new 6 cylinder Maxima.

Just a few days and a police car pulled me over in Naseem area. After checking my papers, to my surprize, he advised me not to take my powerful racer in Naseem again.

2 years and 2 horrible snatch attempts by drifting addicts and that too in the top posh areas of Riyadh. I was lucky enough to have very narrow escapes both times. I had got the point then: I had the trouble car. I got rid of the car immediately and went for an SUV. Am happy since 3 yrs now. But ever since, I advise none to go for a drifter (Camry, Accord, Maxima, Caprice).

Stupid question: If i see an EVO X for like 53000 is it actually safe to buy, or am I limited to cars with no potential to be safe?

Edit: Talking about this one: http://autos.souq.com/9289989-mitsubish … tails.html

You can buy anything you like bro. My point was simply: Always take extra measures for your security and safety. Trust in your sixth sense. Only staying cool and acting smart can drag you out of troubles.

TheLegendLeads wrote:

You can buy anything you like bro. My point was simply: Always take extra measures for your security and safety. Trust in your sixth sense. Only staying cool and acting smart can drag you out of troubles.

Ok, that explained a lot, thank you. But to be completely honest I would give the car to any snatcher wannabee-s.

As the first thing is to add some added security. Like turning your key to start will not start the car unless some invisible features are not present, and not having me inside the car will actually engage the immobilizer in 20 meters actually locking them inside the car.

And then they can tell the police how they ended up there...

Yes, that's good thinking. Another good option is to have the gadget installed that has the GPS and you can turn off your car from internet (I recall STC used to provide this solution).

Let me put down a few general tips for all readers. Must be made habits.

1- To force you to pull over, their most common technique is to hit you from the back. Most guys panic. They stop the car and immediately slip out even leaving keys in the ignition to see the damage. Stay warned: if your vehicle is abducted along with your keys, no insurance company is going to help you in any recovery.

2- It's easy for a mob of 4/5 to overpower you especially with their long knives. Physical security first! You're not Bruce Lee.

3- If you have to pull over, never park in a position to allow them lock you from behind.

4- Your car must have the centrally locking system and keep it locked all the time you're/family is inside.

5- If you stop by for a while (say a superstore), always turn off the engine and lock the car before leaving.

6- The best person who could help you during the troubled time is YOU yourself. For the second instance I mentioned above, I did call the cops who did nothing except redirecting me to call other numbers and then putting me on hold for long time finally hanging up unexpectedly. After 15-20 of futile attempts, I decided to give up and go home. One more thing: they don't speak English. If you don't know Arabic, forget everything.

7- During evenings and especially late nights, avoid using streets for short-cuts; stay on the main roads.

8- Be extra cautious in the areas where majority of inhabitants are expats. For them these are soft target areas.

Hi my dear I can go with when you need to buy the car  I can translate fir you..I have some who is dealing wirh cars..

Plz do not hisitate to contact me  [email protected]

Tolmik wrote:

Stupid question: If i see an EVO X for like 53000 is it actually safe to buy, or am I limited to cars with no potential to be safe?

Edit: Talking about this one: http://autos.souq.com/9289989-mitsubish … tails.html

I am in Riyadh..just send me your contact number to my email [email protected] I can help alot...

Regards