We are potentially moving to Bangalore from he uk /or possKuala Lumpur

Hi my husband has been asked to take up an assignment in Bangalore for 2 years with his company. They will provide a full expat package and wondered if you have any recommendations on where to live and what it is like. I have been looking at palm meadows so far. We have a great life here in west London with our 2 chldren (8 and 10) and unsure how we I will cope!

He also said they talked to him about kl so if anyone has lived there would welcome your thoughts on family life there too.

What do you do at weekends? Is it easy to travel to the beach? Are the schools good, comparable to uk education?

New to expat world and being a pt working mum in London is all very scary / daunting even thinking about this adventure!!

Thanks for any advice and tips!

Hi Chiswick,

This is indeed a big move to consider as your whole family is moving. Its always scary to think what the new environment will be like and whether you will be able to cope out there..lot of questions and thoughts... :whistle:

Although i've never been to Bangalore or KL, i do know these places exist on Expat.com and offer quite a bit of information.
They may have the answers your looking for. If you cant find the answers your looking for, post them up in the relevant country. I'm sure someone or other will come back with some answers to help you. :)

I've heard Bangalore is a nice city and quite modern. Its also  a silicon city too. Alot of IT companies relocated there and quite a few UK companies moved their customer service/help desk section to Bangalore. Even some of the bigger brands have moved there like Hewlett Packard and Dell. So if large companies have decided to go to Bangalore, the place has some credibility. ;)

This link on the Bangalore forum will give you an insight - please feel free to read the various questions and answers.

Also this link about Bangalore may help too.

About KL, i don't have might knowledge on this place as the closest place i've been to is, Singapore. So i'm guessing the climate may be similar. So it may be quite warm there, and the humidity  and rain will be present too at times.

You can go though the various threads on this site about Kuala Lumpur - click here - have a read and hope it will prove useful.

I've included some general information on Kuala Lumpur - hope this will give you an idea of the place.

The information i've provided is only basic. I hope others out there will give you alot more info. What ever  place you decide to move to, hope you will enjoy it ! :D

Best of luck :top:

Jaz :cool:

I have business in Singapore and KL- yes the weather is warm and humid all year round. The biggest pain in KL is probably the traffic jams- but other than that, imagine many of the popular beach resorts in the world are within an hour's flight ;)

(Think Bali, Phuket, Sabah and numerous diving spots/ beaches)

For schools many expats send their kids to international schools.

Cheers,
Ryan

Hi

There are very good international schools in Bangalore. Whitefield is a very good residential are close to the international schools and has many expats staying there.

[moderated: please post in housing section. Thanks.]

thx
srini

Hi there
I am a British expat mum... other wise known as a 'trailing spouse'.

Yes, international schools are generally good, especially if you are used to British state education. Generally speaking internationals schools have much better facilities than the UK (I'm not including UK private schools in this ). My 5 yr old went to an absolutely excellent school in Qatar... now we are moving to Bangalore in a few days time and she will be starting at Stonehill International School - fingers crossed that the teaching is as excellent as she got in Doha. The class sizes are smaller - just 20 in her school in Doha with 1 teacher and 1 assistant. I think her class in Stonehill will be even smaller.

I have loved being an expat -but I would say that you need to have an open mind and enjoy the differences. There are myriad frustrations - cultural differences, bureaucracy, not knowing where anything is - the settling in period is hard. But the rewards are good - new friends, new experiences and new view on life.

I worked part time in Qatar.... I think the visa status is different in India - one thing I would say is that if you are like me you will want something to occupy your time and that won't be  - or is unlikely to be - what you are doing now, which is why you need to be open minded. I have learnt to teach swimming, worked in a school and now heading for India am thinking of doing a yoga teacher training course - all very different from my former career as a media manager.; you need to be a bit flexible, open to different opportunities.

And nope, Bangalore is not near the beach :) But the travel opportunities are amazing - I am typing this from the Maldives, they are just on your doorstep, as is Goa, Sri Lanka, Kerala.  Its not even far to Thailand....

Weekends in Bangalore are yet to be discovered but when we were in Qatar it was no different than in UK - dance lessons, swimming lessons - alongside the more local stuff like dune bashing and camping in the desert and running down sand dunes and being on the beach - so I'm guessing - hoping! - similar stuff in Bangalore - lets hope!
Best of luck with your decision

Good morning

madam I am a French teacher in one of the best international schools in bangalore. I suggest you Oakridge international school of bangalore. because it is a school that meets the internationals standards, and offers the necessary amenities to provide a better education to your children. there are students from  different countries like usa, australia, canada, uk, France, india, UAE.the school is affiliated to many universities and schools like cambridge university .......my mail is [email protected] .if you want to know more.....

I would recommend Inventure Academy for academic and overall development of your child. I'm proud sent my kinds to Inventure Academy.

[link moderated]