Immunizations for traveling to Belize

Hey all,

Just wondering if there are any special shots that we should be getting prior to traveling down to Belize next month. We contacted the health department here and they want us to come in and pay $140 and won't even tell us what shots they want to give us.  I told my wife that I would query the community on here cause if anybody knows what you would need to come to Belize, these good people will.

Thanks in advance and I can't wait to get down there next month!!!

Paul

It is the same in canada.  They scare the u know what out of you before they charge a fortune.
I have been to Belize twice and not had any need for immunizations.  SB is being developed in the jungle..lots of mosquitos & no see ums.  They love me & I hate bug spray.  Therefore, I come home covered in bites.  Haven't been sick yet.
I never get immunized.  I have been to Cuba, Columbia, Aruba, Jamaica & South America.  I take lots of Immodium, Pepto Bismal, Allergy meds, Aloe, Aspirin, Polysporin triple antibiotic cream & After Bite.  I only took allergy pills & anti itch cream while in Belize...I didn't need any of the other stuff.  Use bug spray & you should be fine.
Belize is the only place I have ever drank the water from the tap & the food is fine on my sensitive stomach.
Like anywhere, be careful.  Don't touch strange animals (rabies); Don't eat food that has been sitting in the sun; Keep a hat on if going into any caves, put lots of bug spray on in any rain forest (malaria)& watch any cuts or bug bites you have scratched for infection.  I had razor grass cuts all down my legs when I was walking through my lot at SB....should of worn long pants. I cleaned the blood pouring down my leg with antiseptic wipes & put polysporin ointment on(ointment provides a protective layer on the skin...cream just soaks in).
Just come prepared & Enjoy your trip.

sorry for the stupid question but what is sb??

we are planning to move this december to San Ignacio area

Sorry...SB is the short form everyone is using on this forum...it means the Sanctuary Belize development.

Sanctuary Belize is quite a bit further south than where you are going.....Placencia area.

Thanks for the reply...we'll come prepared and skip the health clinic

Paul

PapaCharlie

Purely for peace of mind and because we were driving through Mexico; we decided to get a tetanus booster and Hepatitis A prior to coming down, the Hep A booster was administered in Belize by our pharmacist within 6 months of the initial injection.

-babs

I got a tetanus booster simply because they're good for ten years and my ten years was almost up.  Antibiotic ointment is great. I also brought some Desitin baby bottom ointment for chafing in the heat and humidity. Enjoy your time in Belize!  It's a wonderful place to be!

My wife and I get a flu shot,tetanus(if not current)and hep A shots are reccomended

Cathie I tried to blog you before but it didnt get through. My name is Randy Sexton. My wife and I are interested in Corozal. May I email my email address is [email protected]