Tungurahua volcano - Update

Since the Tungurahua volcano generated interest from the expat community in Ecuador the last time it erupted, I will post updates here to keep you informed on any new development and moods of the Throat of Fire.

Tungurahua is the largest volcano in Ecuador. It is alive, unpredictable and a beautiful thing to see. I'm lucky enough to live in Banos in a house with a great view on the best show in town..

NB: Recent update first. Past updates last.

Tuesday, 15 May 2013

Yesterday was the last day of volcanic activity for this episode that lasted 17 days. The prior episode lasted 10 days, so the next one should be something. From twice a year to once every two months, the Tungurahua volcano is increasing its activities in frequency and importance.

Monday, 13 May 2013

Still going, but not as intense as last week. This is the 16th day.

Friday, 10 May 2013

13th day of activity. After showing 'sings of fatigue', she is still going strong today, puffing out large clouds of white/yellowish clouds, with low, earth shaking rumbles. Air pressure waves that affect inner ears, just like changing altitude.

Tuesday, 7 May 2013

10th day. Still going strong, with very little pauses in between volcanic activities. See videos in post #7

Saturday, 4 May 2013

We were spoiled with the best night show so far..

3:24
- Major eruptions, 10 minutes apart
- Top of the volcano covered with red fiery ejections
- 'Door opening' pressure waves
- Raining ash
- Conditions: Clear

Friday, 3 May 2013

- Steady hyperactivity all day
- Plume of smoke 5km wide
- Conditions: Partial cloudiness

Thursday, 2 May 2013

Mama Tungurahua is putting up quite a show here tonight. The top of the volcano was covered with chunks of fiery lava. With the stars in the background, "spectacular" is the quote of the night.

23:00
- Massive ejections
- Lava flow on the North West and unusually, North face
- Occasional 2nd chimney activity North East
- Sounds of lava chunks landing with distant 'paf' noises
- Constant activity all day
- Conditions: Clear/foggy

Wensday, 1 May 2013

11:52 another 'door opening' explosion/pressure wave.

11:30
- Distant 'growling'
- Conditions: Cloudy

Tuesday, 30 April 2013

20:00
- Constant activity all night
- House rattling pressure waves
- Contitions: Mostly cloudy/fog

19:08 The clouds have moved out of the way just enough to allow me to see the first night show of this volcanic episode..

- Molten ejections
- Lava flow
- Thunderous growling
- Ash plumes
- Conditions: Partial cloudiness

- Distant 'growling'

Continued activity, after a quiet morning.

Monday, 29 April 2013

- Continued activity all day
- Large plume and loud growling
- Conditions: Partially cloudy

- Audible activity

Things went quiet last night after the last big 'boom'. I'm starting to learn about the volcano habits. Big explosions indicate last activity for a period of time. Hopefully, that was not the last episode and that 'the best show in town' will continue for the next couple of days.

Sunday, 28 April 2013

22:43 Something almost knocked my door down (I shit you not).
Might need/be forced, to evac from Banos. Will keep you posted as long as I can. This is interesting. Too bad I cannot see it, but that last audible explosion was just fantastic! Really happy right now :D

- Loud 'growls/distant explosions' heard @ 21:00 - 22:30
- No observable activity
- Conditions: Overcast

- Major eruptions @ 18:00 - 18:30
- Massive plume of smoke 8 - 12km high
- Thunderous booms
- Neighbours moaning out loud
- Conditions: Clear

Pictures from my tablet. See post #4 and pics from Colin, post #6

Positive. I can see the top of the volcano and a large plume of smoke can be observed. Some Locals here in Banos walking with face cover. Volcanic ash in the streets and cars. Will update tonight.

- Large thunderous 'booms'.
- Very large brown cloud.
- Conditions: Clear blue sky, yet cannot see the volcano.

NB: Might be thunder as the top of the volcano is surrounded by storm clouds. What prompted this update is the large brown cloud (signature of volcanic activity) that is in contrast with the white and grey clouds. Will keep an eye on Mama Tungurahua and uptade if any new developments.

Wednesday, 24 April 2013

- No activity. Dormant.

Wednesday, 17 April 2013

- Large plume of smoke, 3km up.
- No observable/audible eruptions.

In addition to your updates, I find this website useful for checking up on Ecuador's geologic activity.  http://www.igepn.edu.ec/   There's also a web camera of Tungurahua under the Volcanes tab, but most of the time it's shrouded by clouds.  I'm pretty jealous that you're able to see it from you window.  I remember seeing, hearing, and feeling its large eruption last mid-December 50 miles away from the top of Antisana.  It was very ominous.

I hate to sound like a know-it-all, but what criteria are you using to classify Tungurahua as the largest volcano in Ecuador?  The tallest currently erupting volcano in Ecuador is Sangay.  Cotopaxi is the tallest volcano classified as still active, but it hasn't erupted in decades.  Chimborazo is the tallest mountain in Ecuador and also a volcano, but it is probably extinct.

Technically speaking, Tungurahua concedes about 200m in height to the Sangay volcano.

My criteria are based on the overall observable/audible spectacle it has to offer. In other words, if you want to see the largest volcano, in action, in Ecuador, it is Tungurahua. Throwing chunks of lava as big as a bus up in the air (no I have not measured it), lava flow, ash plumes, window rattling booms, actual activity and size. All of it. Not a very scientific approach to gauging the size of a volcano, and I could rely on the Internet to point to basic quantifications, even though these things are alive and even change shape I've been told.

It is difficult to tell which one is the biggest volcano, but I will go with what the locals tell me and what I see in this case. If Cotopaxi ever goes, please let us know..

These from today's eruption, Sunday, 28 April 2013. See details in the first post.

http://imageshack.us/a/img845/6834/83895140.th.jpg http://imageshack.us/a/img838/3685/90197489.th.jpg http://imageshack.us/a/img812/7474/57335759.th.jpg

Will try and upload my neighbour's photos of the same event and hopefully, his photographic captures will render some justice to what we have witnessed here today.

:D

Cool. Thanks for the pics,  and your update.
Hans

No prbs Hans. Here is more..

These pictures taken by my neighbour are alot more like what we witnessed yesterday..

http://imageshack.us/a/img441/6728/smsmdsc08510.th.jpg http://imageshack.us/a/img853/4223/smsmdsc08511.th.jpg

with the sunset and stars coming out, it was an amazing moment. This volcanic episode lasted for about 30 minutes. The pictures taken from my tablet in post #4 were at the beginning of that eruption. I had to stop shooting because the photographic lens in my tablet is really not capable of taking adequate picture in a low light environment. The two pictures above, are at the end of that particular eruption.

Thanks to Colin for these pics!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Nemesis5V

Notice in the night video 'IMG0537'

- pressure wave hitting @15 seconds
- audible chunks of molten rock hitting the ground @30 seconds on.

:D