International schools in Accra

I need to know which international secondary schools are recommended by expats.

It depends on which type of curriculum you require and your budget. I suggest you google international schools in Accra where you will find a comprehensive list

there are Ghana International School (lots of style but less of substance), Lincon School (more style, less substance), Glalaxy international school (less of style, less of substance), Delhi Public School (less of sustance and far away from Accra- 25 kms away). There are a few more as well. But the most popular are the above ones.

Merton International School is one of the best. May not have so much of style but surely has considerable amount of substance.

Hi ,GIS is well known and accredited ,Cambridge syllabus IGCSE .My children studied there .We were happy with that .

You need more of that kind of School which have more of Substance and less of Style ! Lincon and Ghana International are Full of Style with very little Substance !

Hi ,wherever we go whichever school we choose it is in our hand what we teach our children at home. Nowadays there are very good websites for the children to learn extra regarding their lessons at home .
Also I think we have to choose a school according to which syllabus we need for our children and we hv to be prepared for such things when we choose to live in a foreign country like Ghana and try and adapt to get the best out of it. Otherwise we may think too much about what is not around and loose whatever is available for us too.
If we compare the substance which is not available in Ghana schools then we should as a parent help the school improve by contributing our ideas and thought with the help of other parents whoever have time and concern,OR not choose to live there ,or try to create a new school with a real SUBSTANCE WHICH WE EXPECT.
And would like to say,my children finished O level and younger one completed Infant school in gis before we laft Ghana and they are in a very famous British school .I see the same reading books here also which GIS used for my daughter and I have no regrets instead I miss GIS.

**Otherwise we may think too much about what is not around and loose whatever is available for us too.**
correction --> 'lose' and not 'loose' (lose is a verb here and loose is an adjective) !
GIS is more of a school with lots of style and almost zero substance !

To srinirajan
Just because of my typing mistake you cant be so rude to say zero substance about one of the best schools in Ghana. It is your own experience or view I don't know. still it is very offensive.
By the way may I know which school did u choose for your kids?
Also this blog is very useful for new expats and we should respect that and give our opinion .

Substance and value are exactly like the two sides of a coin. They do not meet "face to face" and to have both on the same side is liken to "eating yet having the pie"

What may be substance to one may not necessarily be to the other and likewise values.

For example:

The values where an Asian holds so dear to heart may well be nothing to a Westerner and otherwise, likewise substance. There is no end in sword crossing.

If style does not equate to value here, please ignore this post

That was a fundamental English grammatical error, not a typo!

Hi,

Could we please avoid going off topic here?

Thanks
Armand

I had my son go to British International School in East Legon 2011 to 2012.  I would say it was a quality school catering to high end Ghanaians and outsiders.  I actually went to Lincoln School for half of class 2 back in the 1970s.  I would say that you really cannot lose with the "international schools" in Ghana.  They all have their pros and cons but I can say they are equivalent to expensive private schools in the U.S.A. but generally much cheaper. Although I noticed that Lincoln is now charging U.S.A. style fees.

They are certainly not cheap and from what I hear they tend to operate more on reputation than quality education.

Well, they are not cheap but compared to USA prices they are cheap (Except for Lincoln).  At the end of the day, the kids who go to those schools usually end up at university abroad.  In fact, they end up in the USA and the UK at a high rate.  So I would say that like most schools these days, they over hype themselves but they do get the job done.   I personally think schools worldwide, including the top universities in the world, over hype quite a bit.  Education is a business...

Ghana International school has wonderful facilities. Staff is mainly from Ghana (very few teachers are expats). Management is appaling and communication is dreadful!
Avoid the lower school which is pure sickness. Lot's of untackled discipline issues.
But from what I hear, lot's of International schools in Ghana are very similar....

Hello Greetings to All.

Can I know standard of DPS Public school in Accra Pls.

regards
Srinivasa