UK/USA married couple and 'economic self sufficency'

Hi, we're getting closer and closer to the day we fly out to Malta.  We've just got a quick question regarding the 'economic self sufficiency' tick box on the application form and would really appreciate if anyone could shed some light these:

My wife has savings of just a little bit above the 23,300 Euro threshold. If we're given residency how long do you think it will be for?

Also my wife has some retirement funds too.  Will they be worth bringing to further our case of economic self sufficiency?

We would also love/need to work eventually because we do not want to eat away at our savings and we're both in our early 30s.

Thank you for your time and help.

bh73

"If we're given residency how long do you think it will be for?" 5 years

is it you or your wife who is an EU citizen ? they may not accept money in the non-EU partners name

Yes, the savings are my wife's and are in my wife's name (she's American).

I know this is hard for you guys to say but do you think this is a major issue for them or would they see us a 'couple/unit' given us been married?

Thanks for the fast reply btw.

Hi bh73,

it could be an issue as you ,as the EU half, are expected to file for residency in Malta first and then you can ,technically, use your rights as an EU citizen to live with your non-EU wife in Malta.

She is then your family member EU (you)/non-EU(her).

They will ask you for proof of self-sufficiency ( money in a bank account but it does not have to be in a Maltese account).

If there is a problem she can transfer the money to your account, you show the amount and then you transfer the money back ! -)))

Maybe they won't make a big issue anyway.

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

Hi bh73,

it could be an issue as you ,as the EU half, are expected to file for residency in Malta first and then you can ,technically, use your rights as an EU citizen to live with your non-EU wife in Malta.

Cheers
Ricky

Ricky – I thought once you are married (marriage certificate as evidence) – Your spouse will automatically have those alienable EU rights.

My argument here is that those right do not depend on getting a residence first - It an alienable right as an EU member regardless of residence. Is that not the case?

SMeddie wrote:

My argument here is that those right do not depend on getting a residence first - It an alienable right as an EU member regardless of residence. Is that not the case?

No. An EU citizen has a right to live in Malta only if they fulfil the income/capital requirements. If they don't fulfil them then their non-EU partner has no right either

ricky wrote:

Hi bh73,

She is then your family member EU (you)/non-EU(her).

They will ask you for proof of self-sufficiency ( money in a bank account but it does not have to be in a Maltese account).

If there is a problem she can transfer the money to your account, you show the amount and then you transfer the money back ! -)))

Maybe they won't make a big issue anyway.

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks for taking the time to reply Ricky.  It's appreciated.  If it is a problem for them it doesn't seem like it will be too hard for us to put right. :) I guess adding my name to the account would also work for them if need be?

SMeddie wrote:

Ricky – I thought once you are married (marriage certificate as evidence) – Your spouse will automatically have those alienable EU rights. My argument here is that those right do not depend on getting a residence first - It an alienable right as an EU member regardless of residence. Is that not the case?

SMeddie, with respect I would suggest that if anyone knows anything about rules, laws, legislation and the way of doing things here it is Ricky, GNG, Toon, Terry and Scubaboy and Matt.
I would suggest that we accept what they say rather than question what they say based upon our ideas of the way we think things should be.

We have to accept and adapt to the way things actually are, especially on Malta/Gozo.

To do otherwise only confuses the issues for others, unless of course, we can provide evidence to challenge their information.

Hi bh73,

yes, putting your name on the account would be a good idea. Having a dual account is a good sign for a relationship or marriage for the authorities.

As an EU citizen you have the right to choose your country of residence within the EU but there is no EU residence as such.

We all still need to register with the country we actually want to reside in. Residency in Malta does not count for Germany as an example. If you move to Germany you should revoke your Maltese residency and re-register in Germany.

And we have to right to have our EU or non-EU family members  accompany us. Non-EU family members gain the same rights as we have - but after registering for residency.

As your wife is American (like my 'family member') things are easier than if she was from a country who's citizens need a visa to enter the EU.

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

As an EU citizen you have the right to choose your country of residence within the EU

subject to fulfilling the financial and healthcare criteria (and some others like not being a threat to public health and a few others)

Thanks again for your input Ricky! It's appreciated and has been a great help given that you've been through the same process with your family member.

It's still a tiny bit nerve racking but things seem to be lining up now for us and we're both getting excited for the move in two weeks time.  We're going to hit the ground running and do everything we can to get it all sorted out.

Again I can't stress how helpful this forum has been over the last year for us both.  Thank you all for your help.  I guess you guys get asked the same questions a lot so thanks for taking the time to answer our queries.

Cheers bh73

redmik wrote:
SMeddie wrote:

Ricky – I thought once you are married (marriage certificate as evidence) – Your spouse will automatically have those alienable EU rights. My argument here is that those right do not depend on getting a residence first - It an alienable right as an EU member regardless of residence. Is that not the case?

SMeddie, with respect I would suggest that if anyone knows anything about rules, laws, legislation and the way of doing things here it is Ricky, GNG, Toon, Terry and Scubaboy and Matt.
I would suggest that we accept what they say rather than question what they say based upon our ideas of the way we think things should be.

We have to accept and adapt to the way things actually are, especially on Malta/Gozo.

To do otherwise only confuses the issues for others, unless of course, we can provide evidence to challenge their information.

With all due respect, to your input (Red, redliink – whatever the name is) I think you should just lay-off my back on this one - Asking, questioning and listening are part and partial of life – Learn it! Contrary to what you might believe, I am a learned man and I do know about rules, laws and legislation.

Nonetheless, I am here because I need to fill the gap with the practicality side as many people here have gone through the process. I don't need you to question what I write at every turn – (Please read my statement again – It wasn't a factual input – it was a question base on what I thought I knew – But it turned out I knew nothing hence re-educated in the know) 

FYI   - A Forum is a medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged – So Instead of attacking me at every turn – Just pitch in your 2 cents worth.

Thanks

Hi bh73,

I wish you all the best for your move.

If you happen to rent in the Sliema area feel free to join our weekly Expat meeting at Bianco's and on the beach in the summer.

Ilene , my American partner, would love to have another American attend-)))

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

Hi bh73,

I wish you all the best for your move.

If you happen to rent in the Sliema area feel free to join our weekly Expat meeting at Bianco's and on the beach in the summer.

Ilene , my American partner, would love to have another American attend-)))

Cheers
Ricky

Thank you Ricky! We'll be down in Marsascala to begin with but if everything goes well I think I'll be owing you a pint.  It will be good to meet another US/UK couple in Malta when we get settled.  Thanks again for your help.

SMeddie wrote:
redmik wrote:
SMeddie wrote:

With all due respect, to your input (Red, redliink – whatever the name is) I think you should just lay-off my back on this one - Asking, questioning and listening are part and partial of life – Learn it! Contrary to what you might believe, I am a learned man and I do know about rules, laws and legislation.

Nonetheless, I am here because I need to fill the gap with the practicality side as many people here have gone through the process. I don't need you to question what I write at every turn – (Please read my statement again – It wasn't a factual input – it was a question base on what I thought I knew – But it turned out I knew nothing hence re-educated in the know) 

FYI   - A Forum is a medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged – So Instead of attacking me at every turn – Just pitch in your 2 cents worth.

Thanks

I refute your allegation that I question what you write at every turn. That is a gross exaggeration. I also fully understand what a forum is,so patronising comments such as yours are ill founded. I was merely stating that on a forum, such as this, it doesn't help to confuse issues. Now, if this was a discussion forum I wouldn't have stated that.

Now, as someone who stated that they appreciated that I 'called a spade a spade' and that I should continue to do so, I suggest that you at least consider what I wrote and remember that you are not the only person here, who, without having any experience of Malta/Gozo, needs to learn. We all do, including myself and we can all learn from others, therefore if someone gives information, based upon their knowledge and experience, I feel that it should not be questioned by those with no experience and especially if not based upon any evidence. Particularly when it concerns an issue of which neither of us have any experience.

You wrote ‘My argument here is that those right do not depend on getting a residence first - It an alienable right as an EU member regardless of residence. Is that not the case?'

You based your question upon your statement that there was an alienable right (and alienable usually refers to property law) so you based that upon a statement of what you believed to be fact. That could be misleading and that is what I was suggesting we ALL avoid.

I also do believe that you are indeed a learned man, just as I and many others here are too. As such, you should know that argument should be supported by (good enough) evidence, preferably triangulated to ensure verification and withstand challenge.

So, get of your high horse and come and join us in the common pursuit of helping each other.

PS. If you bothered to read my pseudonym is redmik and not 'whatever the name is' :)

redmik wrote:

PS. If you bothered to read my pseudonym is redmik and not 'whatever the name is' :)

Are you sure it's not Mike......... ducks and runs for cover :D

redmik wrote:
SMeddie wrote:
redmik wrote:

Thanks

I refute your allegation that I question what you write at every turn. That is a gross exaggeration. I also fully understand what a forum is,so patronising comments such as yours are ill founded. I was merely stating that on a forum, such as this, it doesn't help to confuse issues. Now, if this was a discussion forum I wouldn't have stated that.

Now, as someone who stated that they appreciated that I 'called a spade a spade' and that I should continue to do so, I suggest that you at least consider what I wrote and remember that you are not the only person here, who, without having any experience of Malta/Gozo, needs to learn. We all do, including myself and we can all learn from others, therefore if someone gives information, based upon their knowledge and experience, I feel that it should not be questioned by those with no experience and especially if not based upon any evidence. Particularly when it concerns an issue of which neither of us have any experience.

You wrote ‘My argument here is that those right do not depend on getting a residence first - It an alienable right as an EU member regardless of residence. Is that not the case?'

You based your question upon your statement that there was an alienable right (and alienable usually refers to property law) so you based that upon a statement of what you believed to be fact. That could be misleading and that is what I was suggesting we ALL avoid.

I also do believe that you are indeed a learned man, just as I and many others here are too. As such, you should know that argument should be supported by (good enough) evidence, preferably triangulated to ensure verification and withstand challenge.

So, get of your high horse and come and join us in the common pursuit of helping each other.

redmik:):):)

Wooh - I don't know what to reply to this but kuddos - Well written!

I am raising the ''WHITE FLAG''!

rainbow3 wrote:
redmik wrote:

Are you sure it's not Mike......... ducks and runs for cover :D

It's not me.........

I'm Spartacus

:D

I'm Brian, and so's my wife

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" :joking:

No, I'M SPARTACUS!!

( stands up with his arm raised ).

;)

I am actually feeling bereft now this series has come to an end.
(Series 4 of 4)
Far more historically correct then the old Hollywood version.

http://www.starz.com/originals/spartacus:sosad:

Ummmmmmm, I hate to break it to you Mick but you appear to have been taken over by meerkat.com, just saying like, lol :D

What, you mean he does not look like that!!!!!

I thought it was a holiday snap !!

:lol:

tearnet wrote:

What, you mean he does not look like that!!!!!

I thought it was a holiday snap !!

:lol:

Good point, maybe it is, that's how he can retire to Gozo, he sold the company, lol :D

mick or is it aleksander orlov...who knows comparethemik.com

more like takethemik.com

:offtopic::whistle: