Having a baby in MUR

My wife is 4 months pregnant and we are moving to Mauritius for 6 months. So the baby will see the light of a day in Mauritius. Will he/she enjoy mauritian passport? And the mother?

Dear Sebastjan,

I don't think your baby can enjoy Mauritian passport as only a citizen of Mauritius can apply for a passport and a person becomes a citizen of Mauritius either by birth or by descent

BY BIRTH:

(i) A person is a citizen of Mauritius, if he is born in Mauritius before 1st September 1995, of either Mauritian or foreign parents

(ii) A person is a citizen of Mauritius if he is born in Mauritius after September 1995 and if either of his parents is a citizen of Mauritius.

BY DESCENT

A person born outside Mauritius is a citizen of Mauritius if either of his parents is a citizen of Mauritius by birth (Sections 20(3) and 23 of the Constitution)

However, I suggest you confirm this and you can contact the Prime Minister's office, Citizenship  section.

http://www.gov.mu/

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Radha

Radha, thank you for the info. We've stayed in Mauritius for three months in 2008 and would like to return for ever.:D

Sebastjan&Tina

We're from USA and came to Mauritius 1 1/2 ago. We had our first baby delivered in Mauritius on March 1st. It was great. Please feel free to email or skype us if you would like to ask my wife questions.

Hi there

i see that your wife deliver the baby in mauritius. Me and my husband might be moving to mauritius soon and i will be about if 5 months pregnant. I am decent from mauritius but left home a long time ago and been living abroad. Well how was the maternity hospital there? I would be very delighted if you can give me some advise.

Many thanks

Baby will not be Mauritian. http://www.gov.mu/portal/goc/dha/file/mca.pdf

The law was changed in 1985. If the baby was born before 1985 the would have citizenship.

Thanks,

Paul

i have a question...
my brother have a baby born in mauritius and registered on his name but he could not get marry civilly with her fiancee.
now baby and my brother staying in india..
can my brother stay in mauritius baby have mauritian nationality by birth and her fiancee send baby to india