So what if I overstay my Tourist Visa in Brazil anyway?

My question is this when does the year start again. My example I arrived in Brazil first time June 2016 stayed under 90 days a second time in October 4, 2016 I left in January 4. 2017 I overstayed one day just missed timed it. I want to go back for at least 6 months when does my year start to be able to be there for 6 months. Is it June, October or January. Thanks still trying to figure it out. I was told when I left could return in May but look like would only be for 3 months under what you are saying.

Contact the Brazilian Consulate closest to where you live and ask. I think it's January of next year, but it might be July of this year since you only overstayed by a day. You'll also need to find out where and how you can pay the overstay fine.

Thanks

Vegas 12
It is calculated on a rolling tear not a calendar year

Goodmorning James!!

On 16/05/2017 I left Brazil and received a overstay fine of R$827,75. I overstayed 110 days. Do you have any idea when I can return?

I should have left brazil 26/01/2017 but I overstayed (110 days). Do I have to wait 90 or 180 days? And from which date do I have to count?

Hope to hear from you!

i think you have to stay out of Brazil for one year, 360 days,,, before trying to returning

You get one day for everyday you are out. You start counting from the day you left

Jim

Hi Jim, do I have to wait 90 or 180 days then?

If you are on pension from youre country you can get permanent visa here in Brasil,but might have to pay 10% of your,e pension to Brasil(tax)
If you have to many days here in Brasil just talk to Policia Federal and explain youre situacion,ask them to help you ,...But much different from Federal in North and south Brasil. I have bad experiance from Alagoas(maceio) and south Minas Geireis JF very good one.,,In Brazil all things can be fixed in a good way.

i think your get better info, from this expat website, and not good info from the FED's,, anyway thats what ive found

I overstayed once here in Brazil,i just payd the fine,went to Iceland got a new passport and went back,without a proplem,but came into the country in another state,was many years ago but i am sure you still can do it....ore just stay here,nothing happens...fixed later,,Here in Brazil you can later talk to the Federal and explain,have a good story,most things here in Brasil are fixed with communication,talk to talk person. just think like they do here in Brasil...
i am so lucky that have experience contact with police here,Forum,Federal( i am not a criminal)but got all this on me after divorcing here,went very mad how things turned out on me here many years ago i have children here an all things was fragile,,the Viking in me broke out and all things went to hell,,tell you honestly how those people in the police,forum and federal anderstood my cituacion and helped me instead,,just by talking and explain,,i could have been in prison instead honestly..
But should like are said here ,find facts,,i am talking about how i do things,but maybe not work for you...

your a bad boy Vikin,, good on you
that's better than a bad boy Saxson

Travel girl

You earn as many days back as you spend out. You get up to 90 days if you have been out that long you can ask for additional days up to another 90 if you have that much accrued   If you are out less than 90 whatever you have accrued that's what you have.

Jim

I read many posts regarding this issue and many different theories about this. And most posts were years old.
It is very simple but alot of people have made it seem harder than it is.
A person on a VIRTUE Visa is allowed to be in country for 90 days. If a person is coming up on the 90 day max, they are allowed a 90 day extension for a Total max of 180 days per year. Those days are figured from the 1st day you set foot in Brazil, in my case, November 11.
If you extend your visa, you must go in person to a Federal Police Station. It is these person's that are in charge of these visas and when allowing someone into the country, even at the airports when first arriving it is the Federal Police that control entry at the airport and admit you into Brazil. And they will extend your visa for 90 days. Maybe I guess they could deny your request, but I had no issues with that. As i came upon the end of my original 90 ending of stay, my Brazilian wife and I went to the Federal Police Station at the airport in Porto Seguro Bahia, filled out a quick form, paid a few Reals and they extended my visa with Not One Question asked.
Overstay of your Visa is NO big deal in Brazil, it is not a crime, solely it is an Administrative infraction with a penalty of R$ 8.40 for each overstayed day, with a maximum penalty of R$ 840.
The easiest way to pay this penalty is UPON leaving (you don't have to, but will be required to pay it in person upon reentry which can make it difficult if when you come back it is a weekend, evening or holiday in Brazil)
If you have overstayed, when you get to the airport to leave Brazil, go to to Federal Police Station in the airport (all airports contain a station). They will take your passport, figure out how much you owe. They will then give you an official Bill showing how much you owe, and Keep your passport...assuming your gonna pay it at that time. You take that official Bill to a Banco do Brasil (again there are usually always one of these banks in the international airpot). Pay the fine to bank, they give you a receipt, you take receipt back to Federal Police Station, they give you a copy of the paid fine and they likewise give you back your passport. As i said, pretty easy, just do this like said and suggest if you plan on returning during Normal Business hours due to the bank having to be open to accept the payment.
I DID EXACTLY WHAT I SAID IN ABOVE ON OCTOBER 26, 2017. And returned to Brazil on November 18th with ABSOLUTELY NO issues.
Upon leaving and going thru customs to board plane, We (my Brazilian wife and I) asked the customs agent at the customs line who all into airport to board flights, we asked him "Exactly what day I was allowed to Return". He then looked at his computer, and told me November 12th. They know (The Federal Police) exactly when you set foot into Brazil and their computer does the math to include When you may return! There are many false statements online about this, especially when a person able to return...it is not arbitrarily figured by any one person. Many people in the government will tell you many different theories or when you can return! I tested this when I left in October. The lady at the Federal Police Station in the airport told my wife some garbage of me needing to stay out of country of 90 days. We paid her No mind. As stated, when going thru Customs in airport to be able to go to gate, the Agent  (Customs agent) and Federal Policeman looked in computer and Told Me Exactly What Day i was allowed to Return to Brazil, November 12th of 2017. I originally entered Brazil on November 11th 2016, overstayed my extension by about Five Months, (left on October 26 2017) paid in cash a fine of R$ 840, And ReEntered Brazil With ABSOLUTELY NO ISSUES on November 18th 2017.
I hope this post, although a little long may clear up any questions others have regarding this Reentry issue.

LJD

It's a bigger deal now. The fine has increased to over 100 Reis per day 

Jim

No Sir, that is absolutely incorrect. Please read my post, I overstayed and Paid the fine of 8.4 Reals (per day, with the max fine of 840 Real) just One Month ago, and ReEntered WITH ABSOLUTELY NO ISSUES ON November 18th 2017. The law and fine has not changed unless changed in the last Three Weeks and that has not happened. I don't know where you received this INACCURATE info from, but don't just believe me. If you speak Portuguese call the Federal Police Station, a station that services immigration such as the Porto Seguro Federal Police Station at the Porto International airport, or Recife etc

jland912 wrote:

LJD

It's a bigger deal now. The fine has increased to over 100 Reis per day 

Jim

100 reais per day? How..

They charge R$8,40 a day with a maximum of 100 days.

Correct,
The fine is 8.4 Reals a day for every day overstayed, not to exceed 840 Reals (or kinda 8.4 a day if you only overstay 100 days). In my case I paid the max fine of 840 Reals, and I overstayed approx 155 days and paid the max fine. It doesn't matter if you overstay by 100 days or 800 days, the fine caps out for a maximum penalty and fine of 840 Reals.
And the extra days or overstay days are NOT counted against the next year of stay. Meaning, as in my case, I overstayed 155 days. I entered on November 11th 2016, I'm allowed 180 days with an extension. Some people want to try and add those 155 of extra days or overstay days to me on when I would be able to come back taking the date of possible reentry to April 25th 2018 or close to that...WRONG ...I was and did Come back in November 12 2017 (i actually Returned on November 18th with ABSOLUTELY NO issues). They do not count any overstayed days against future, they are days in essence you have to physically pay extra for, again in my case I paid 840 Real for an extra 155 days.
I said and posted all that I've said because of all the dribble, double talk about this and all the rumors and speculation. I can show people pictures of my passport with entry and exit stamps that have the dates. I don't think i by any means am a special case, as I recieved my info originally from someogne else who had done exactly what she told me to do cause that os what she has done, repeatedly. I also checked with my brother in law who is a high ranking Military Policeman (he in turn got the info from other Federal officers who work the immigration unit at Salvadore International Airport). So I made my decision to overstay, pay the fine the day I left, and come back when I did, almost one year exactly from my date of entry, on a very cross Atlantic Cruise. And was just fine when we got to Recife and I re entered on November 18th 2017!
But, for People who don't believè, whatever, you need to take care of your life as youbare fit...and I will likewise do the same to include Overstaying my visa in Brazil if I wish leaving and only paying the fine i know is the law and when i am allowed back, according to the Brazillian authorities and their computer,
Tchau

From First hand experience and knowledge, If you came June 10th of 2016, you are allowed up to 180 days, and then after those days, an overstay, you pay for each overstayed day with a max fine of 840 Reals. No matter if you stayed 180 days or 360 days, you are allowed back on June 11th 2017 (assuming Feb of 2018 only has 28 days).
I entered on November 11th 2016, and left October 25th 2017. I paid the max fine of 840 Reals the day I left. I Re entered on November 18th of 2017 (not even a month later after overstayed approx 155 some odd days). Before leaving, actually on my way out, we (my Brazilian wife and I, point is she and her Brazilian Portuguese are perfect so there was no communication issue) asked the customs agent who checks your passport to gain entry to  terminal for the planes) when I was allowed back, he looked at the immigration computer and Told Me November 12th 2017. And as I've stated, came back via a trans Atlantic Cruise, and ReEntered WITH ABSOLUTELY NO issues on November 18th of 2017.

LJD

My information is accurate. You got in just under the wire. The fine has increased and the law has changed.

Jim

Well, please do tell when this new law went into effect? I would also suggest maybe telling the Brazillian Federal Government to maybe Update this so called new law On ABSOLUTELY EVERY Government Website and Publication on the Web as to this New Law...Seems that Brazil is Way behind the times and just has not Published this anywhere on the internet on any Government Website! ROFL

I need to go into town, I will Stop by Federal Police Station at the airport in Porto Seguro Bahia...I will have them PRINT out a CURRENT Schedule of FEES for this issue...I get Extremely Sick of people spreading Lies and Repeating Gossip about issues that effect Peoples Lives. And I do this out of Spite, I enjoy interaction with locals and due to what you Claim Does Directly Effect My Life! Also, I Never want to ever Give anyone Bad, misleading, misguided information about anything, especially information that effects a Persons life in any way! I will report my findings along with a Photo of The Current Law, Printed By Brazillian Federal Police whom Enforce this law later this afternoon!

Accotding to what i was told by the federal police at Rio airport (GIG) the new rules came into effect on Nov 21st but they still arent live on the website yet and as such even the officers there weren't 100% positive of the new rules.
The only thing they seemed certain of was that the overstay fine is being increased to R$100/day upto a maximum of R$10,000. They also mentioned new rules regarding extending tourist visas after 180 days and that it would possible to leave and return same day to restart your 90 days even if you've spent 6 months here but the officer seemed less clear about this so i would definitely take that with a pinch of salt.
I was there to apply for my permanent visa after getting married but they have suspended the applications until all of the new rules are published online.

Matt

This seems astonishing to me...i am absolutely not questioning you, as you seem to be delivering first hand info...astonished that they will be increasing fine so dramatically. This new fine would definitely ease and get people to not overstay a VIRTUE Visa. It also will not help them with keeping tourists in the country and also from returning. Anyone who has lived in Brazil knows the government is always trying to tax and create revenue, but I don't think if this turns out to be the new law that it will have the desired long or short term increase on fines for a new base of revenue, I think it will be opposite...but, that's just my opinion...im going to federal Military Police Station at the airport now to see what info they can give,
Thank you for your information
Lawrence

Lfd

You will find that most people here do not spread false information. They share the information that they have. Sometimes it's outdated and they do not realize it.

The info is on the pf.gov.br website.

There is not much there but it says   If you overstay a few days you can trade the days against days you have left the next time you enter Brazil. so if you overstay 10 days, for example, they would subtract that from 90 days leaving you 80 days.  The other part that is there states that the fine has increased to R$100 per day up to R$10000.

Jim

I think it's a good change, it will definitely make people think before they overstay their visa.

Wow. It looks like I got in under two wires. I paid a fine of R$8.28/day in April of this year.

Lucky alligator you!

Goodmorning,

On 16/05/2017 I left Brazil and received at the airport an overstay fine of R$827,75. I overstayed 110 days. They didn't asked me anything I just received this paper and catched my plane back home.

I am going back to Brasil (Rio - GIG) on 19th of January and I am almost sure that I need to pay the fine. Does anybody know how I have to pay this. For sure it will be on the airport. Do I have to pay cash? My flight will arrive friday 19th at 19:35. I can take it cash with me if necessary.

Thanks.

I don't know about where but they will require cash.  I know there's a boleto that you have to generate and pay when you're here. How to do it outside the country I don't know.

Since you´ll arrive at night, banks will be closed but I don´t know if their "cambio" (exchange dept) will accept that.  Is the paperwork you received, like a bill to present and pay on the spot?

They should have a way to receive the payment because they won´t let you in unless you pay first.

Bring cash to be sure and of course a credit card as a reserve!

robal

Check out the Brazil Tourist Visa "Ultimate Guide" at BrazilGringo.com:
braziliangringo.com/tourist-visa-brazil/

If you have the ability to pay your fine at a Banco do Brasil branch in your country before your trip, looks like it can save you a lot of potential trouble.

I'm not having a kind of boleto. It's just a paper saying how many days I overstayed, the rules of the law, and the amount I have to pay.

I don't think that Banco do Brasil can help me out.

See if there's a BdB branch in your country. They are one of the places that you can pay that fee. I'm guessing that you'll still have to go the website and generate the gru and print the boleto that will show you've paid the fine. Call or email the Brazilian embassy or consulate near you and ask.

Good advice from Mike.
There is (or was) a BB office in Amsterdam; there appears to be a full service branch in Frankfurt BRD.  Either should be able to tell you where, and whether, you can pay before you leave Europe.   Worth a phone call.
One thing you can be sure of:  with all the emphasis here on fighting corruption, no Federal Police official will accept a handful of cash on arrival, no matter the reason.

Thank you both for your time and information. I will call BdB tomorrow. But for now, I went to the website of the PF. (http://www.pf.gov.br/servicos-pf/gru) and have no idea how to get the overstay boleto. Everything is in Portuguese and difficult for me to understand.

Travelgirl123,

If there´s a Banco do Brasil in Amsterdam to pay the fine or just to be prepared with the paperwork upon arrival in Brazil, do the following:

1. Click http://www.pf.gov.br/servicos-pf/gru
2. Click "estrangeiros/imigracão"
3. Click "pessoas entidades estrangeiras"
4. This will bring you to "dados de recolhimento (GRU)"
5. Fill up the form...
        Código RECEITA STN: 140414  (R$8,28-R$827,75)
        Código SIAR: 0418
        Incidência: Multa
        To find the Código Receita STN, click the "research" button at the end of the blank
        line space. Your fine should fall on "Demorar se no territorio nacional apos esgotado o prazo legal de estada" (minimo: R$8,28 - Maximo: R$827,75. At the end, put your fine of R$827,75.

6. Click "gerar" (generate) to finish.

7. Bring the form (GRU) and pay at the Banco do Brasil or bring the paperwork with you to Brazil.

Of course you can also change your flight schedule to Brazil so that it will fall during the day, preferably in the morning as banks close from 1500 to 1700 depending on the location in the country...

Banks will be located inside airports in Brazil.

Any difficulties in filling up the form, please feel free to ask or you can also PM me...

robal

Thank you so much! I finally have the boleto. Unfortunately, there is no Banco do Brasil in the Netherlands.
I can ask if my boyfriend (who lives in Brasil) can pay the boleto at BdB right? Then I only have to show the PF the received.. I hope everything will be fine when I arrive! Thanks for all your support anyway.

Yes, just ask him to pay for you but you have to have the paid paperworks to present to
the Policia Federal at the airport!

robal