So what if I overstay my Tourist Visa in Brazil anyway?

Shortly after I got here someone that was teaching at the ESL school I was at and attending language classes at USP, was told to leave for overstaying his tourist visa. They gave him a certain amount of time to gather his belongings and be gone.

And it's not like we blend in, which is different from being accepted.  You are highly visible:  if you've been in the same neighborhood for as little as two weeks, people you're not even aware of -- fruit sellers, car washers, taxi drivers -- have already made you, not as "an" American, but as "THE" American who's staying around the corner.  That doesn't mean that they'd drop a dime on you, just that you're very easy to find if someone does.

Hi everybody!im facing a big overstay fine...just found out! 😣
Does anyone know if I might avoid being charged if I exit Brazil  by bus (instead of by airport?)  Thinking of going to Argentina by bus through the Foz

Gringuinha wrote:

Hi everybody!im facing a big overstay fine...just found out! 😣
Does anyone know if I might avoid being charged if I exit Brazil  by bus (instead of by airport?)  Thinking of going to Argentina by bus through the Foz

Nope. Exit is exit.

Gringuina,

When you exit you will be given a letter stating your overstay amount. You will have to pay it the next time you enter. If you never come back that is the only way to get out of it. exiting through a land border will not make it go away.

Jim

Hi Jim, I entered Brazil February 2017 on a 3 month visa and am still here. I just seen that the price has risen to 100 reais a day. Will i be charged 100 reais per day starting from my first day of over staying ? (When it was only 8 reais) Or will the charge of 100 reais just be applied from the day the law came into effect?

Thanks, Aaron

Most likely the 100 reais. I would be very surprised if they charge anything less.

You will be charged R$8 a day (max R$800) up until the law passed (November something), then R$100 a day after that (max R$10.000). That's a ton of money!!!!!

And if you can't pay the full R$10 000 on the spot you could be in Serious trouble....

I would purchase a plane ticket to leave Brazil, go to the federal police with the capability to pay the full R$10.000 and beg for forgiveness.

AaronT

As the others have said you will be charged the R$8 until the R$100 went into effect. When you go to the PF about it be prepared to çeave. It's never a good thing to overstay.

Jim

Hello I overstayed by 150 days in 2014.( from February 2014 to August 2014 ).  I already paid the fine ( 800 reais ) in February 2016 when I went back to Brazil. I would like to know if I have to pay the fine again since the law went into effect?

I lost the paper stating I paid but I have the stamp on my passport saying MULTA PAGADA.

Be prepared, you will now pay R$10.000 fine. R$100 a day adds up fast since the law changed in November.

did you read my thread?

I overstayed in 2014 and already paid the fine in February 2016.

Yes, I read your thread. Great job on paying the old fine. Now if you overstay it's R$100 a day up until the maximum fine of R$10.000 stop breaking the law.

I just overstayed once and I won't overstay again, I don't have the paper stating I paid the fine , I only have the stamp on my passport ( MULTA PAGADA ). What will happen when I go back to Brazil

If you have the stamp you shouldn't be required to pay a new fine.

Yanick3256 wrote:

I just overstayed once and I won't overstay again, I don't have the paper stating I paid the fine , I only have the stamp on my passport ( MULTA PAGADA ). What will happen when I go back to Brazil

You should be ok.  If the fine still shows up on your record, so will the payment.
Don't worry, and enjoy your trip.

is it possible to buy a one year tourist visa as a holder of a Schengen or Canadian passport ?

I travelled to Brazil on my European passport, I would like to know if I can travel on my Canadian passport this time?

You should have no problem traveling on your Canadian passport. As far as what I can see on the PF site, there is only the 90 day tourist visa which can be extended to 6 months.

Yanick

As others have said you have the stamp in your passport showing you paid. No worries just enjoy your visits.

Jim

Hi,
I will be applying tourist visa for Brazil , by the god grace if I receive my visa I am worried about police clearance certificate, because I am married to Brazilian and I'll be applying for permanent visa , so if I come to Brazil with PCC and the immigration officer see it he will have a clear idea of my intention? What should I do?

Be honest and do it legally. Don't trick the system and respect the laws of Brazil. I hate seeing people doing illegal stuff or having immoral intentions.

I do respect and follow Brazilian law more than Brazilian itself,
I got married to my wife by power of attorney,
When I was applying my tourist visa  the visa officer was laughing and saying that this type of marriage is not valid it is not considered as marriage,

Well my question is if this time I get my visa, they don't want me to stay on Brazil right? Then there is no need of PCC , then if I want to make PR visa in brazil how can I enter with PCC from India? The immigration officer in airport will not care about it?

If he ask for what I have got PCC? 

Try to understand my carefully then answer.
Thanks

If "PCC" is the term in India for a criminal background check, it shouldn't cause you any problems if you enter the country on a valid tourist visa:  you won't have to show it.  Have it apostilled by the Indian authorities, and bring it with your other papers, though.  Once you're in Brazil and legalize your marriage under Brazilian law, you'll need it to apply for permanent status.

Yes PCC stands for police clearance certificate, it is a police background check, I'll not need to show there is a certificate showing my criminal background and they put a seal in the passport showing that I'm carrying with PCC, I didn't need to show it, immigration officer will see it when he will open the passport.

Is there will be problem?

CraigF wrote:

Be honest and do it legally. Don't trick the system and respect the laws of Brazil. I hate seeing people doing illegal stuff or having immoral intentions.

Nothing he's planning on doing is illegal or immoral.

Vida97654 wrote:

Yes PCC stands for police clearance certificate, it is a police background check, I'll not need to show there is a certificate showing my criminal background and they put a seal in the passport showing that I'm carrying with PCC, I didn't need to show it, immigration officer will see it when he will open the passport.

Is there will be problem?

All you will be asked to show is your passport with the valid visa inserted. Your luggage may be looked at, but unless they speak the language the PCC is written in, they won't know what it is. You'll also have to have that translated "officially" here.

I will say that when I married my wife and applied for permanency, I only remember signing a document saying I hadn't done anything illegal since I arrived in Brazil.  I wasn't asked to provide a background check.

Hmm you are lucky, but in my case i don't know, if they ask PCC because it's there on the policia federal site that PCC is required,
So better to be prepared with all the documents.

What do you think I'm planning?

I don't have any criminal record in my life, not a single case filled against me,

I'm worried about PCC stamp in the passport because here in India they won't give me temporary visa based on reunion familiar, and on the airport if they see PCC stamp they will understand what? What a tourist doing with a Police background check for Brazil on the tourist visa?
What do you think they will do?
It seems you are intelligent you know everything who is planning what, then tell me what illegal I'm planning,?

They ae not interested in looking at your visa application at the airport, they just will want to see some kind of valid entry visa. You only have to present all documents to federal police once you are in the country.

If you are stating that the marriage is already being suspicious as a marriage of convenience...then my suspicions were correct. I think you will be ok at the airport.

Your suspicion is wrong, I told you in India they don't give permanent or temporary visa, and what about my marriage also there suspicion is also wrong,
If I go on tourist visa to visit my family is illegal? Or if I want residence permit to live with my wife is illegal?
Then Mr you also have done illegal things,.

Hi, I am currently applying for a PR visa in Australia and paid the fine as I got married to a Brazilian and was in the process of applying for a residency visa but we decided to move back to the UK. If I paid the fine and for an extended 12 visa grant for Brazil, do I need to declare I overstayed? It's confusing as i don't want to lie on my application but don't want to declare that if it is not recorded with the Brazilian government. Any advice would be greatly recieved.
Thanks

Kennedyjkj2018
What is the wording of the actual question?  A good rule of thumb for Brazil is the same one that applies in the UK and Australia:  answer the question that's asked - then stop.

*ETA*  BTW, Brazil no longer grants Permanent Residency Visas (VIPER) at its missions abroad.  The best you can get now is the VITEM XI, a temporary visa that lets you into the country and allows you to apply to the Federal Police for permanency:  they control the whole process now.  So you want to be sure to have all required documents in hand, valid, and apostilled/legalized before you get on the plane.

In India they gave  PCC stamp in the passport ? What it is? How it looks? IN Poland I just got printed document I need appostile and that's it.  Perhaps they dont know nothing about it in Brazil - about this PCC stamp in the passport - they don't look all over all stamps -  and if they will see and ask about it you can said you thought it's requiered is - but as far you record is clean there are no worries

Hi all, I'm going back to Brazil next week and I'm getting prepared for if I have to pay the fine or not. I was fined the full 10,000. Does the fine have to be paid in cash or can I use a bank card once I arrive in Brazil to make the payment? I don't really want to travel with 10,000 physically on me.

Many thanks for the help!

Majority of airports will take a credit card. Would not use debit card. (Not sure what you mean as to "bank card") Also would advice CC company of the charge before you go. Would hate to see the CC refuse and/or cannot contact you due to being unable to receive text or call.

How would I go about declaring the money if I'm going to travelling with 10,000 reais in cash? I heard for amounts at and over 10,000 you need to declare it? I'm travelling to Brazil on Tuesday. Many thanks for the help.