Letter from DMV in US to bypass Driver test in Ecuador?

I have heard that there is a form/letter you can get from the US state you recieved your Drivers License, that will allow you to bypass the test in Ecuador. Has anyone done this? Or is this just another rumor.
And if you did get this form, what had to be done to make it acceptable?
Notarized, Appostiled, transated into Spanish?
I have heard this rumor from many, but none have actually had the experience.
Thanks

This is news to me.  I have never heard of this process, but I have heard you can get an international drivers license that is acceptable here in Ecuador through AAA.

Mike

Problem is that the AAA deal is only good for a few months. I used one in Qatar, but the shelf life was only for 3 months. I dont think the AAA one will be permanent.

I am still on my 6 months where I can use my American license.  However, I will simply study and take the Ecuadorian test in Spanish.  I do live here in Ecuador right?  Spanish is the language here.

Mike

While I havenŽt heard about a letter, here is a link to a post at a Yahoo Group on converting to an Ecuadorian driver license:

groups.yahoo.com/group/ExpatsInEcuador/message/5170

if your in Gauyaquil or someplace close I can get you one as long as you have a valid US license. its back door but and costs a bit but you don't need to take the class or test.
[email protected]

I just got my driver's license in Quito. I had to print out my Driving Record from my state (Kentucky) and have it translated and notarized (here in Ecuador)- also, notarized copy of US driver's license, application filled out (it's a form for foreigners- you can get it from the place where you get driver's license, two photos, Blood type card from Red Cross, copies of passport and cedula, and I had to pay $38 and come back 8 days later to take the tests. I had to take both the eye/coordination test and the written test on the computer (in Spanish).
You can buy the booklet with the test questions and answers out front.

Dont need a snipe from themiddleoftheworld, or your sarcasm. I asked a question, and apparently you are an amazing person whom I hope to never meet. I appreciate all the other answers to my question.