Questions about Tax

Hi,

I have some questions about taxation in Malta.
I have an income from DK and I'm not going to be taxed there. The tax office in Malta said that I have pay tax from the money, which I remit to Malta and it has to be declared in the income tax return.

This might be a stupid question but does this mean that I have to pay tax when they receive my income return every year or is it once a month?

Is there a minimum which has to be declared every month? (Not that I want to cheat)

Could someone also please help me calculate (explain) the tax bands. For example if €14,000 is declared a year.

Have a nice sunny sunday :cool:

Assuming you move (moved?) to Malta this year:

1. Register at the tax office and get a tax ID
2. You will be sent a tax return for 2013, if I remember rightly early 2014. You will need to pay the full tax due on 14k income remitted to Malta by 30th June 2014.
3. You will be sent a demand to pay 2014's tax in installments, April, August and December. The difference can be paid (or reclaimed) when you file and pay 2014's tax return by 30th June 2014.
4. Repeat 3 above for subsequent years :)

Looking at this page and assuming you are single, the tax due on 14k remitted is 825 euros. If my maths is correct!

Steve Gill wrote:

Assuming you move (moved?) to Malta this year:

1. Register at the tax office and get a tax ID
2. You will be sent a tax return for 2013, if I remember rightly early 2014. You will need to pay the full tax due on 14k income remitted to Malta by 30th June 2014.
3. You will be sent a demand to pay 2014's tax in installments, April, August and December. The difference can be paid (or reclaimed) when you file and pay 2014's tax return by 30th June 2014.
4. Repeat 3 above for subsequent years :)

Looking at this page and assuming you are single, the tax due on 14k remitted is 825 euros. If my maths is correct!

Thank you Steve!
Sorry for the late reply. Your answer was extremely helpful though! :)

mada3 wrote:

Thank you Steve!
Sorry for the late reply. Your answer was extremely helpful though! :)

No problem, glad to help. There is rarely a queue to register at the tax office so you should be fine there :D

Although on a serious note, I had my ID card before registering for tax. What happens to the people that can't get an ID card number until later this year? Has anyone who didn't have an ID card at the end of last year actually registered for tax yet that can confirm?

What should I do to get an appointment for the ID card? I've called the citizenship and expatriates office and written them several emails (that have not been replied). We are coming in August and I need to enroll me children in the school and I don't want to pay extra for bus etc.
Is it any good to write a recommended letter to them. If so, does anyone have their new address?

Does anyone know any other ideas? :)

Hi mada,

I have sent an email to: [email protected] on the 7th of April but did not get any reply, too. So, on the 15th of April went to the Citizenship Office personally, and in half an hour, got an appointment booked for me, my partner and my son, for August.

I reckon that the best way to get an appointment, it's actually going to the Citizenship in person.

Best of luck!

mantonas wrote:

Hi mada,

I have sent an email to: [email protected] on the 7th of April but did not get any reply, too. So, on the 15th of April went to the Citizenship Office personally, and in half an hour, got an appointment booked for me, my partner and my son, for August.

I reckon that the best way to get an appointment, it's actually going to the Citizenship in person.

Best of luck!

Thank you! :)

To go there is probably the only way but I will try to send a letter to them because we are first coming down there in August.

Hi Mantonas,
I will be coming to Malta soon and will have to apply for all these paperwork as well...
Can you please tell  me the address of the citizen office?
Also, what documents do they need?
Thanks in advance!!!
Silvia

Hi Silvia,

This is the address for the citizen office:
3, Castille Place
Valletta
http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/2703/valleta002.png
If you take the bus to Valleta, it's last stop and very closed to the Arriva main bus station. If you ask there, everyone will tell you where it is.

The only doc they asked me was my ID/passport and I have also showed my tenancy agreement (don't remember if they asked for it, or not). You will need to provide further documentation such as your work contract, etc on the time of the interview.

Good Luck! ;)

2013 Tax Bands
    Chargeable Income €    Rate    Deduct €    
MARRIED RATES     0 - 11,900     0     0   
11,901 - 21,200     0.15     1,785   
21,201 - 28,700     0.25     3,905   
28,701 - 60,000     0.32     5,914   
60,001 and over     0.35     7,714   

SINGLE RATES     0 - 8,500     0     0   
8,501 - 14,500     0.15    1,275   
14,501 - 19,500     0.25    2,725   
19,501 - 60,000     0.32    4,090   
60,001 and over     0.35    5,890   

PARENT RATES     0 - 9,300     0     0   
9,301 - 15,800     0.15    1,395   
15,801 - 21,200     0.25    2,975   
21,201 - 60,000     0.32    4,459   
60,001 and over     0.35    6,259   

From - http://www.ird.gov.mt

mantonas wrote:

Hi Silvia,

3, Castille Place
Valletta

Unless, its moved since I was last there, I think the building entrance is actually where I've marked here on your map:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14748739/valleta002.png

Steve Gill wrote:
mantonas wrote:

Hi Silvia,

3, Castille Place
Valletta

Unless, its moved since I was last there, I think the building entrance is actually where I've marked here on your map:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/147 … eta002.png

You might right Steve! Thanks for the correction but I wasn't too far anyway :P

mantonas wrote:

You might right Steve! Thanks for the correction but I wasn't too far anyway :P

No worries. I had to ask a policeman first time I went there! :)

Can I just ask a question about tax please, we sent off the form to register for tax as expats in January and I know it was received by the tax office because I sent it registered mail and tracked it online, we havent heard anything yet about our tax number, should we have heard something by now or do they send it out later in the year?

rainbow3 wrote:

Can I just ask a question about tax please, we sent off the form to register for tax as expats in January and I know it was received by the tax office because I sent it registered mail and tracked it online, we havent heard anything yet about our tax number, should we have heard something by now or do they send it out later in the year?

I've emailed taxpayerservice.ird at gov.mt and advised them of my 2 changes of address, and they've responded quickly. Maybe try that?

Steve Gill wrote:
rainbow3 wrote:

I've emailed taxpayerservice.ird at gov.mt and advised them of my 2 changes of address, and they've responded quickly. Maybe try that?

Thanks steve, I will do that

I also have a quick question in regards to tax and I wonder if anyone can advise me.

I have already applied for the social security number (which I have now) as from the 15th of this month, and I was advised to go to the Income Tax Dept in Floriana in order to apply for a tax number.

My question is, do I have to do it now or can I wait until I have the eResidence situation sorted out?

Now, in regards to the social security contributions, I was told that I would need to make payment for this year, in the end of April, August and December, is this correct?

Just to clarify, I am working as self-employed from home for an Online Gaming company which is based in the UK.

Thanks in advance!
Antonio

mantonas wrote:

...I was advised to go to the Income Tax Dept in Floriana in order to apply for a tax number.

My question is, do I have to do it now or can I wait until I have the eResidence situation sorted out?

I'm pretty sure they'll accept your application now, especially when you explain you have to wait months to get your ID number! However I'm pretty sure they stored everything against my ID number when I filled in the form with them (took 5 mins in their office) so maybe best to email them using the email address I supplied above?

BTW here's a map to the entrance, unless they've moved in the last 2 years.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14748739/malta%20tax%20office.png

mantonas wrote:

Now, in regards to the social security contributions, I was told that I would need to make payment for this year, in the end of April, August and December, is this correct?

Just to clarify, I am working as self-employed from home for an Online Gaming company which is based in the UK.

Thanks in advance!
Antonio

I declared myself tax resident in August 11, effective from when I moved (June 11), paid my tax for 2011 in June 2012, and have only now been asked to pay 2013's tax on account (April, August and December as you say). Your mileage may vary, I think you need to ask the tax office that (either in person or via email - they are a lot better at replying to emails than the eResidence office!)

Many thanks Steve,

Will probably contact them via email 1st as you said and see what they say.

Appreciated your advice ;)