The unofficial web page of the greater Cuenca expat community

SawMan wrote:
Nards Barley wrote:

This outstanding restaurant review warrants your perusal.

http://tribelr.com/posts/guess-where-i-went-in-cuenca

What a freak!  Spends $1.95 for breakfast (two eggs, two small sausages, etc.), uses the restaurant's spotless restroom, takes a packet of jelly she didn't really want just to "get more" for her budget-busting outlay and complains throughout her absolutely riveting account of her trip to McDonald's about how she wishes they'd curl up and die.  If I were in Ecuador (or anywhere else in the world) and had to associate at all with such a bitter, unhappy person I'd stick Egg McMuffins in my mouth until I choked myself to death.

She is an educator from Boston, so I had low expectations from the start, she still managed to get under them.

SawMan wrote:

What a freak!  Spends $1.95 for breakfast....her budget-busting outlay....If I were in Ecuador (or anywhere else in the world) and had to associate at all with such a bitter, unhappy person I'd stick Egg McMuffins in my mouth until I choked myself to death.

Easy now, SawMan, it was just McBreakfast.

Pretty Good Stuff about Loja over on CuencaHighlife..  The author creates a blog dedicated to answer one question. Here is one the question.

Is Loja just like Cuenca, but warmer, smaller and cheaper?

And here is another blog :

Misconceptions About Loja

cccmedia wrote:
SawMan wrote:

What a freak!  Spends $1.95 for breakfast....her budget-busting outlay....If I were in Ecuador (or anywhere else in the world) and had to associate at all with such a bitter, unhappy person I'd stick Egg McMuffins in my mouth until I choked myself to death.

Easy now, SawMan, it was just McBreakfast.

Goooosfraba   goooosfraba!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRVz10ZGVD4

Happy 4th of July to all. Were there get togethers or activities?

Back here in the States the news is punctuated with fear and loathing about the possibility of terrorist attacks. Think I'll still go to the fireworks and just be "vigilant" now  that I've been warned :lol:

About 40 people attended the July 4th festivities at the South American XXXXXXXX Clubhouse in Quito on Avenida Mariana de Jesús.

There were fireworks, burgers and Polish hot dogs, and an Elvis sighting/concert.

Thank you, John, Ester and Tim for hosting this outstanding Independence Day celebration. :top:

cccmedia in Quito

Sounds very pleasant

http://www.beforethecross.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/wavewhiteflag.jpg

I continued my capitulation to the gringo sub-culture, values, and language by attending the Hearts of Gold charitable event.. Unfortunately,  they didn't serve us typical 4th of July barbecue food such as hot dogs and burgers, so I give the event a mixed review.

Here are some photos of the event:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set … amp;type=3

Wow, thanks for posting all the photos......wish there had been some captions. ...what did they serve up for 4th of July fare?. I get their newsletter. I think they are Canadian and this was pretty much a fundraising affair

I saw the panoramic view of Cuenca. I don't see a lot of trees. The way I had pictured Cuenca in my mind
was a country like city with separated houses with yards to plant all kind of vegetables and fruit trees.
Are there places like that in Cuenca?  You know, a piece of land you can buy and build a house with a yard to plant vegetables and fruits and raise some chicken.

Edd said that Cuenca is getting more like Manhatten in that so many people are on the streets staring at smartphones, even people in traditional dress.  Edd is concerned that the Zombie Apocalypse is going to change Ecuador, force him to buy a smartphone, all he has now is a dumb phone, uses once a week as a telephone.

No doubt Cuenca is getting more modernized with the zombie like cell phone habit but it was still the most pleasant place I stayed.  There are small ranches outside the city limits that offer all types of fruit trees, creeks, and animals.  If you need a realtor I have two on my my FB page that can help.  The just sent me a posting of a beautiful place with about 10 acres.

mugtech wrote:

Edd said that Cuenca is getting more like Manhatten in that so many people are on the streets staring at smartphones, even people in traditional dress.  Edd is concerned that the Zombie Apocalypse is going to change Ecuador, force him to buy a smartphone, all he has now is a dumb phone, uses once a week as a telephone.

Apparently our buddy Said is a Luddite.

There are many practical uses for a smartphone besides Facebook, text messaging or game playing.  I regularly refer to my maps app, Spanish dictionary and verb conjugation apps, news feed apps and Kindle reading app when I am out in public.

Nards Barley wrote:
mugtech wrote:

Apparently our buddy Said is a Luddite.

There are many practical uses for a smartphone besides Facebook, text messaging or game playing.  I regularly refer to my maps app, Spanish dictionary and verb conjugation apps, news feed apps and Kindle reading app when I am out in public.

It is amazing to me how few times I visit a library now days compared to my precomputer days.  I no longer subscribe to the daily newspaper either, and most all the info I found I need is portable.  Hopefully as more people in Cuenca use smartphones in public the use will be less dangerous as far as inviting theft.

I don't own a smart phone for no better reason than I am too cheap to buy one.  But I was up in the States a few weeks ago.  my son used his to find a good route from Dulles to Richmond (a somewhat daunting task at 16h00).  He uses it for all his internet stuff...face, sending us videos of our granddaughter.  Our daughter drove up from Atlanta...there is even an app that tells where the cops are on the highway. 

Flying home I read books and watched the movie I wanted on my tablet.  And I read all the uses that Nards has for his smart phone...bring it on.  The more information available, the better.  Having said that, maybe I am too cheap...and should get a smart phone.

quito0819 wrote:

I don't own a smart phone for no better reason than I am too cheap to buy one.  But I was up in the States a few weeks ago.  my son used his to find a good route from Dulles to Richmond (a somewhat daunting task at 16h00).  He uses it for all his internet stuff...face, sending us videos of our granddaughter.  Our daughter drove up from Atlanta...there is even an app that tells where the cops are on the highway. 

Flying home I read books and watched the movie I wanted on my tablet.  And I read all the uses that Nards has for his smart phone...bring it on.  The more information available, the better.  Having said that, maybe I am too cheap...and should get a smart phone.

I had never owned a smartphone until I came to Ecuador. However, I had owned lots of Android tablets and even an IPOD Touch before coming here.  Part of the problem was in the states, you used to have to subscribe to plans for smartphones or add minutes every month to keep them active. Here, most everyone uses an unlocked GSM phone and buys prepaid minutes that don't expire.  And rather than carrying both a cheapie phone and a tablet with me whererever I went, I decided it was better to have a smartphone that allowed me to do both things when I am out of the house.

So, I had a friend bring back a smartphone phone. Here is my Model. It has dropped about $40 since I bought it.  The new models have a 5 inch screen which I think is ideal for me.

Speaking of technology, I updated three laptops yesterday with Windows 10.   One improvement worth mentioning is the addition of offline maps. You download the map for whatever country.you want. 

Of course one of the glaring problems with Windows 8 tablets has been the lack of good apps including a map application.  With this upgrade, windows tablets (and probably phones) become more desirable since you can save bookmarks on your mpas and synchronize them across your windows devices. 

I still won't carry a windows phone or tablet with me however, unless the Kindle app gets improved.  You currently can't read personal documents on any windows device.  That sucks.

I have to update a laptop and standalone to windows 10.  My tablet is android.  Have to look at the kindle app.  Used to use a Sony reader but they stopped that service,  Kobo was offered as a replacement, but VISA seems to have some problem with the company and I can't use the visa card without first calling my cu.

quito0819 wrote:

Our daughter drove up from Atlanta...there is even an app that tells where the cops are on the highway.

Probably waze. Is a pretty cool app which users input is encouraged. Is convenient because you know if there's a traffic jam, cops, accident, lane closing, etc. Plus if you wonder off from the planned route, it will recalculate the route on the go automatically.

seastar46 wrote:

I saw the panoramic view of Cuenca. I don't see a lot of trees. The way I had pictured Cuenca in my mind
was a country like city with separated houses with yards to plant all kind of vegetables and fruit trees.
Are there places like that in Cuenca?  You know, a piece of land you can buy and build a house with a yard to plant vegetables and fruits and raise some chicken.

I consider Cuenca a mass of humanity, concrete, cars and stray dogs. However, if you move out to the countryside about at least 30 minutes or so you can find something I am sure.

Here is a photo of a part of the city I took from "las espaldas de monja"in Turi, well before these bloggers were there.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-uG0vDyAyBBM/VY1VB__PCjI/AAAAAAAACE8/EcuhVWbsQUk/s800-Ic42/upload_-1.jpg

I had a pretty good lunch at the Sunrise Cafe recently for 3.99 including iced tea and dried out chocalate cake.   I am guessing the gringo in the banner of the Facebook page is the owner, and I think I overheard that his name Bruce. He looks familiar to me. 

Of course this is the third restaurant that has been here. Initially it was the Kookabura, then owners sold the place to some Americans who got bored with it and subleased the space out to Bananas.  Then Bananas folded a few months back and now it is Sunrise Cafe.  I think Sunrise is the best of all of them.  I think it sucks they close at 3:30 in the afternoon like San Sebas cafe, but what are you going to do.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9ZLCYGEFQJk/VcaMmvB-dmI/AAAAAAAACFk/7V5CL3-HvJk/s800-Ic42/upload_-1.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-6-_ZwsEC2Ik/VcaMoK3j1YI/AAAAAAAACFs/eRfPq0gN8ls/s800-Ic42/upload_-1.jpg

I will be trying the pancakes soon.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-lQnxjGpaG7s/VcaMp2lWJgI/AAAAAAAACF0/GOgAMUhUW84/s800-Ic42/upload_-1.jpg

The small fishing town of San Clemente was recently put on the map for many a peep by a youngish woman of 47 who was making an exploratory trip to Ecuador.  She ultimately chose San Clemente as her retirement dream over Bahia de Caraquez, partially on the grounds there were fewer dog piles on the sidewalks.   I was intrigued by this, since in my own neighborhood, it is like walking in a landmine.  So, I decided to contact someone in my network of sympathizers and make my way there.

I first got a ride to Guayaquil in a personal vehicle with some Christian missionaries.  Little did they know I was from the dark side.   From the Guayaquil terminal I took a bus that was heading to Bahia de Caraquez. I recorded my route on the bus using Google's My Tracks.  It was about 4 hours or so from Guayaquil.

Here is where I stayed.  A private condominium of 12 units.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-2tAV7Zqogj0/Vcaeb6Cq9II/AAAAAAAACHE/e8GkCE-xDmk/s800-Ic42/upload_-1.jpg

Went to gringo night on Tuesday at this hostel.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-bbggj-s0lNY/VcaedbpiSvI/AAAAAAAACHM/WcNu3VILAKg/s800-Ic42/upload_-1.jpg

I frolicked at the beach as well:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-hrlHloXwXzY/Vcaeein1YiI/AAAAAAAACHU/yD1tcI_v5Eo/s800-Ic42/upload_-1.jpg

Also met a british bloke while there who was renting at this condominium development called Vistazul.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-fYfkCiTB4mY/VcaT2llv1qI/AAAAAAAACGc/SXxMbMkXiA4/s800-Ic42/upload_-1.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-WPk9u5Ir4FU/VcaTzQRfVLI/AAAAAAAACGM/gPQIhKJSH6Q/s800-Ic42/upload_-1.jpg

This is a fairly new development. I guess everyone is instalingl thatch roofs on their units because the 2nd floor gets too damn hot. The tiki bar usually gets installed along with the thatch roof.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-jYP-XaGMbXA/VcaT07mIVoI/AAAAAAAACGU/POonm2qzLKo/s800-Ic42/upload_-1.jpg

LOOKS LIKE A GREAT PLACE

Price, Nards?

gardener1 wrote:

Price, Nards?

And a minefield update, the alleged reason for the trip?

http://www.sanclementeecuador.com/sancl … rices.html
t

mugtech wrote:
gardener1 wrote:

Price, Nards?

And a minefield update, the alleged reason for the trip.

I saw no dog piles in the downtown area.  Once you get out of the downtown area there aren't sidewalks.

What I found strange about where I was staying is I hardly heard any dogs barking including at night.  No car alarms either.  While it was pretty hot and humid, there was often a breeze and sitting outside was rather pleasant.

Thanks for the link, but it lists no rental price? That's a condo sales website. You were renting right, by the day?

gardener1 wrote:

Thanks for the link, but it lists no rental price? That's a condo sales website. You were renting right, by the day?

The photo with the pool was where I was staying was rented by a friend of mine from a private owner.  I think she said it was around $700 furnished month to month, but I don't have the name of the place at the moment.

The other places I was told were renting around $800 a month furnished, which seemed pretty good considering you get to use the pool at the hotel across the street since they have the same developer.

http://www.palmazulecuador.com/

It looks nice, a bit pricey as a rental. There's nothing out there, I mean what if you lived there and wanted to buy a pair of socks or a birthday cake or something? You'd be SOL. Much less have some kind of medical need like a broken leg or an illness. SOL.

Not that I'd be interested in buying, but I infer from your posts that at least two of these units are rented which leads me to think they're not selling very well. There's nothing out there. After a few weeks or months looking at a tropical paradise without any anything I think I'd be ready to go.

We also took the bus from Guauaquil to Manta. That was a verry loong 4 hours. Kept seeing signs along the road so many kilometers to Jipijapa (hippy hoppa?) So I was expecting something that looked like a town, an actual place. Nope. Just an overgrown dusty hodge-podge of homemade adobe dwellings - it must have been community laundry days as colorful washing was strung everywhere you looked.

That whole area of the coast was very very poor.

gardener1 wrote:

It looks nice, a bit pricey as a rental. There's nothing out there, I mean what if you lived there and wanted to buy a pair of socks or a birthday cake or something? You'd be SOL. Much less have some kind of medical need like a broken leg or an illness. SOL.

Not that I'd be interested in buying, but I infer from your posts that at least two of these units are rented which leads me to think they're not selling very well. There's nothing out there. After a few weeks or months looking at a tropical paradise without any anything I think I'd be ready to go.

We also took the bus from Guauaquil to Manta. That was a verry loong 4 hours. Kept seeing signs along the road so many kilometers to Jipijapa (hippy hoppa?) So I was expecting something that looked like a town, an actual place. Nope. Just an overgrown dusty hodge-podge of homemade adobe dwellings - it must have been community laundry days as colorful washing was strung everywhere you looked.

That whole area of the coast was very very poor.

Yeah, there isn't much shopping in San Clemente although I talked to a Gringo who relocated from Cuenca due to a heart issue that he gets everything he needs in San Clemente.  He says he buys fruits and vegetables right off of a truck, fresh bread from these folks ,bacon from the German and then other stuff from the small tiendas scattered around.

A half hour from San Clemente in Bahia de Caraquez there is a new "El Comisario" which is like a mini Walmart.  I was told a $10 taxi ride will get you there, or just take a bus.

P.S. Those condo rentals are like short-term vacation rentals.  People use them to transition to other places that are cheaper.

Thanks for sharing that gem with us Ned, it does look like a nice retreat. Good tip.

But hauling groceries on the bus, argh. We've been carless now for 12 years and I.am.so.tired. of packing groceries groceries around I cannot tell you. Often I walk, it's about 8 or 10 blocks, and backpack the groceries home. Sometimes I take the bus which isn't much better. By the time I get to Ecuador I am going to be done lugging groceries around - especially from another town no less.

It's a problem. The coast of Ecuador though beautiful and quaint, has next to nothing in the way of services and amenities. Or even utilities. And paved roads.

How did you enjoy your trip?

Great art, Nards, especially the double-sun beach shot. :top:

Top Cat makes some great points about why many Expats considering Ecuador would do well to choose living in a highland city over a picturesque but amenities-challenged beach town. :top:

gardener1 wrote:

Thanks for sharing that gem with us Ned, it does look like a nice retreat.

Why is 'Cat tugging on Superman's -- I mean Clark Kent's -- cape? :cool:

Edd said he found a great dentist in Cuenca, Dra Daniela (Danny) Ordonez, who speaks perfect English.  Edd got his teeth whitened, had to go through coffee withdrawal, had a terrible headache.  The pain reliever he used was ibuprofen, which was useless, best to use aspirin in such situations.  He is now drinking tea as a substitute caffeine delivery system.

. Just tell to him start swishing with hydrogen peroxide and then he can go back to coffee. Guess I mild bleach solution would do the trick as well

gardener1 wrote:

Thanks for sharing that gem with us Ned, it does look like a nice retreat. Good tip.

But hauling groceries on the bus, argh. We've been carless now for 12 years and I.am.so.tired. of packing groceries groceries around I cannot tell you. Often I walk, it's about 8 or 10 blocks, and backpack the groceries home. Sometimes I take the bus which isn't much better. By the time I get to Ecuador I am going to be done lugging groceries around - especially from another town no less.

It's a problem. The coast of Ecuador though beautiful and quaint, has next to nothing in the way of services and amenities. Or even utilities. And paved roads.

How did you enjoy your trip?

I take at least a 30 minute walk every day, walk to the local grocery on my route and buy something easy to take home.  Today I bought a dozen eggs and a loaf of bread, and if I buy a few things every day it negates having to make any big hauls.  Lucky for us the Giant is open 24/7.

I am new to the forum but would like to get to know some people from Cuenca as I don't know anyone from Ecuador. We haven't moved yet but hope to in a couple of years after my son graduates college. Then he can decide if he wants to go too or  stay here.

Are the dentists there pretty good? About how much do they cost for a ncleaning? filling?

Angel2018 wrote:

Are the dentists there pretty good? About how much do they cost for a ncleaning? filling?

A great question which many a prospective economic refugee wants to know.

The dentist I use and who is part of my gringo micro-environment is Dr. Woods, a retired dentist from Kansas, who obviously doesn't want to spend his retirement dinking around.  He is quite affable, and you will often find him any night of the week at one of the many gringo eateries, such as Fabianos pizzeria.

I recently went to his new location off of Solano ave which also serves as his house and had a cleaning and filling performed.   He charged me $35 for the cleaning (high pressure water pick) and another $35 for the filling.  I think those prices are competitive with other dentists in the area.

A bonus nugget:  My dentist sent me to have some X-rays done in downtown.  I don't think there are dentists with their own x-ray equipment. The cost of that x-ray was $25.