Setting small business

Hi,

How much capital is required to set up small grocery shop in davao?

i think 1500US will be a good begenning
CDL

honestly? depends... what are the products that you are to put in your grocery? again you dont just put an amount, always think of what are to be purchased from there, you can already put an estimate... for me $1500 is for a sari sari store..... if we are talking about mini grocery, most likely its more than $1500...

goodluck mate

what will be the output from that store...means income?

income generation depends on how much we get production and how much you are to sell it..... im not from davao, im from manila. I do have a better Idea though... if you are interested then i will send you a private message :)

For a sari sari?  Your biggest sellers will be cigarettes (single stick) and bottles of cheap rum. Maybe small sachets (packets) of laundry detergent, candy, etc.  For cigs, you can try to make profit of a few pesos, bottle of rum, maybe 10 pesos. Because you are small business, can only buy your merchandise from a bigger store such as SM and then charge a little more for the convenience factor. No distributor will distribute to you.  Never sell on credit.

Don't expect to survive on this model. Its more something to keep busy, but still plenty boring.

lekyam1118 wrote:

income generation depends on how much we get production and how much you are to sell it..... im not from davao, im from manila. I do have a better Idea though... if you are interested then i will send you a private message :)

yea, i am interested if u can please let me know...waiting for ur reply

Good morning,i would like to ask im planning to open a small business in davao started of small amount.kindly give me idea.

Choose a goodspot..a busy area or near at school that would be a perfct place..

Honestly , if you need to be asking the sort of questions, tells me you have little or no business experience. My advice is dont even consider it. You will not survive as there is big learning experience and you have to see what sells well and what does not, where is a good place to set your business and where is not. You are not from that place and so there is so much for you to learn. Dont go there and start a business unless you know full well what your doing.

Colin

I think this will help you too because my husband wants to start investing here, this is about franchising [link moderated]

We're thinking about food cart business so that he can stay here for good. We have two kids and I wish he would be here for them. Is there anyone here who has a food cart business?

colin57 wrote:

Honestly , if you need to be asking the sort of questions, tells me you have little or no business experience. My advice is dont even consider it. You will not survive as there is big learning experience and you have to see what sells well and what does not, where is a good place to set your business and where is not. You are not from that place and so there is so much for you to learn. Dont go there and start a business unless you know full well what your doing.

Colin

I agree.

To rissadum:

I had an aunt who haphazzardly opened a mini mart, but it closed after 6 months. We told her not to go through with it. There were a lot of expenses that she didn't factor in when she started.

First of all, you cannot put a number as to the amount of capital you need.

When you set up a business, the most important step is to first have a plan, an overall picture. You said you're planning to open a grocery. What type of grocery? High end products such as imported goods or regular everyday necessities? Where do you plant to source your supplies? How much would the supplier charge? Is it by consignment? What are the terms of payment?

On the store location, you need to set up near one that would match the type of customers you want to attract. Look at your competition. Find your niche.

You'd need furniture, shelves, decor, counters, showcases, etc. and hire a carpenter / contractor. These cost money.

How much would electricity cost? Sure, suppliers of beverages and ice creams will let you borrow their refrigerators and freezers for free. But you can only place that particular supplier's brand of products. It might be that you will carry only one brand / brand family due to high electric costs. Too many fridges will jack up your utility costs. Or you can carry several brands but you'd have to buy your own refrigerator or freezer.

Other things: will you need some sort of security surveillance, i.e. cctv, security guard, etc. You would need invoices, business registrations both from the city and the BIR. If you're going to hire employees, you'd need to give them SSS, PagIbig, Philhealth benefits. If you don't know how to do bookkeeping, you'll need one who can. You'll also need an accountant who can sign your tax reports. Would you accept credit cards? Are you planning to use a product scanner, where you'd need someone to code items, or are you going to do it manually?

There are just so many things you'd need to get started. I haven't even scratched the surface as to what other things you will encounter when you set up a business. 

I run a business. (It's not a grocery though.) I didn't need that much money to start. From my experience:

Capital: Not a problem. Started small. Slowly added more to capital as profits came in.

Location: Somewhat hard. You need to look around and bargain with landlord.

Finding Customers: Depends on your product and positioning. I have a lot of competition. I try to catch and keep more customers by offering better service and products.

Paperwork: Hard. Gives me a headache all the time. All this reporting. Agggh.

Employee Management: I don't even want to talk about it.

You give good, sound advice. Keep up the hard work there,

Colin

Depends on the  size ,but  most  important is your  Filipino partner, permits for  Foreigners are a night mare and  red tape, if  married or have  a  Filipina GF every thing in her  name

i was also thinking about a food cart business i notice  a  small nacho stand  in the  Mall in Davao very expensive  for  what it was but they had  plenty of customers , it  was  a  franchise i looked it  up and  was over priced, you can have  the  cart built and  i found a supplier in Manilla that  makes  original Tao and  Nacho shell , but  the  problem is the  space  in the  Mall P1500 a day ,you would have  to sell a lot  of  Nachos

Sir,what business you planning ?

(Moderated: no copy/paste on the forum pls)

very little but at the same time you will make very little income from a sari sari store as there is one every 100 yards or so.Its a waste of money in my opinion as I did it .

If you want to start a business build yourself a house and build as many appartments as you can afford attached to your house for rent.This will provide you with a garanteed income with no problems .do not start a business that you have personally no experience in running it will end in disaster.