Moving Wife To Kuwait

Hi Guys,

Flights booked and heading to join you guys in sunny Kuwait, from the UK, working for a major retailer.

I have many questions which I will post over time.

However firstly, and obviously the most important is how to I get my wife to join me in Kuwait.

Well actually we are not married yet but that is booked for the 15th July.

Therefore how soon after getting the marriage certificate can my wife join me?

I assume the same process which I had to go through, ie medical, police check but I understand it is me that is sponsoring her to come to Kuwait?
Can anything be done in prep before the wedding?

Any help much appreciated!

Kind Rgds

If she is bearing a UK passport, she can come right away, as UK citizens can get a visit visa at the airport which is valid for three months. You will be able to sponsor her as soon as you get your working permit (which is not issued from April 1st until further notice from the ministry by the way). You will need your civil ID, salary certificate, some cash, attested marriage certificate and fill a number of forms.
Bottom line is that there is no need to concern yourself right away with this, as it will take months to get to that point, and she can join you anyway.

Thank you for your response!

Therefore am I right in saying that we can sort out all the 'red tape' when in Kuwait?

I have heard, on this forum, that if partners do not have residence all they have to do is leave for a couple of days before re-entering on a 3 month visa.

I know this appears to be mainly for females who bring their partners across but is this correct?

You will have to exit and return Kuwait in order to start your residency, but since you will have to exit during this three month period anyway, that is not a huge deal.

What you heard is correct, before the three month period is over you just need to exit end reenter the country to get another three months stay.

try asking the embassy if they can point u in the right direction, coz u will need to get your marriage certificate translated, notarized and attested etc.

Thanks guys for all your brilliant advice!! :)

Hi Curlywurly

I am a New Zealander and my marriage certificate needs to be notarized and attested at my home country by the Ministry of Internal Affair and Foreign Affairs. It can't be done by the embassy over here. So I would imaqgine that would also apply to you. In saying that, I think Legacy's advice carries lots of weight. Talk to your embassy.

Best of luck!

cheers

Thanks for your advice Wisker :)

Another aspect which could make your wife's "survival" in Kuwait more certain, is looking for a TA (Teacher's Assistant) job at one of the English Schools.  A lot of woman opt for this, not necessarily for the money (at KD 300 - KD 400  not really that much) but at least it creates a social infrastructure, and eventually when you have kids, you should qualify for a discount in school fees, which is a real killer anywhere in the Middle East.

Hey Carlywurly,

I am also trying to navigate this process - having been here 3 weeks I hope I am at least some way into the civil ID process (my employer also a major retailler here - maybe the same one as you? has submitted the docs, i'v had finger prints done etc).

Wife is getting marrige certificate legalised in the UK along with kids birth certificates ... but the hold up on her application for visa is my civil ID.

Eldest boy is at school so the visit visa doesn't really work for us with term time.

Everything seems to happen sequentially here so best to focus on the next thing (or next part of the process)

Have a good flight!