Carpeting.

A friend of mine who lives on Malta is very proud of the fact that he is carpeting his apartment. Now, personally, I think that tiled flooring swept and mopped clean would be a lot more hygenic.

Any thoughts anyone?

Do any houses have wooden floors? I guess the climate wouldn't be very friendly for that, but maybe there's some sort of treatment that would help them weather the, er, weather?

I agree with you redmik. I personally, wouldn't carpet the floor, specially in places like Malta, where the weather is normally quite warm through all year, expect for few months during the winter, I think. Would it make more sense doing that in the UK i.e where you normally get really low temperatures.
In my opinion, it's not a very wise decision from your friend :)

we have one room carpeted - already in when we moved - the rest is tiled - in winter we use rugs around our home and they help to give  warm feeling plus they also dampen the sound of the moggie running around....lol in summer we take them up and store them - and let the neighbours worry about the cat...LOL - only joking.

carpets

in the summer get mouldy from the humidity
in the winter get mouldy from the flooding

Hi all,

to be honest , in all the years in Malta I've never seen a place with carpets , at the most rugs that can be taken up.

I know there are shops selling carpets but I'm not sure if it makes sense.

Cheers
Ricky

carpets are not really suitable nor recommended  - i think our fitted one was fitted to deaden sound from an excersize machine (PMSL) no chance of that with me.....

they do collect dust in summer but we have a good hoover and as i said we take them up for summer so we dont have that issue - in winter we dont have flooding being so high up

spookily enough i have seen several properties with laminate flooring and they dont seem to have any problems......and some have been down for a long long time

Hi toon,

we have a duplex and the upper floor is laminate (over tiles I think) and there are no problems !

But I'm not sure if you can compare laminate with carpets. Laminate is certainly warmer than tiles.  Ours don't have a problem with mould.

Cheers
Ricky

i wasnt comparing laminate with tiles or anything else Ricky just making a comment of floor coverings