Moving to Ensenada

Hello,
Can you advise me as to how safe it is to move to live to Ensenada, Mexico. I've been there a couple of times for vacation, and I really liked it, but I am not sure about living there. We have a baby, and I was worried if there are any risks with baby kidnappings? Crazy, I know, but I am getting a bit paranoid. Also, what are some of the risks that we might be facing? We'll be driving through San Diego. And is there any hospital near Ensenada?
Thank you in advance!

Anyone? Any info on Baja California will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

hi nikkip - i joined this blog a couple weeks ago and have learned that it's not very active. we're interested in san miguel, and found a very good yahoo blog with much participation from many current residents. so you might want to continue looking for similar; sorry to say that you may not see much traffic on this one. best wishes in your search.

Thank you editgrl

Hi nikkip,

welcome to Expat.com! :)

You may view other threads on the Mexico forum.

All the best,
Christine

Mothers normally do not need lectures about how to go about ensuring the safety of their children. Ensenada is a city of 300,000 souls and should be treated like it is a city.

But there isn't some pervasive ideology in Mexico about kidnapping children. IMHO uncommonly pretty blonde, blue eyed girls should be watched a little more closely but this is really splitting hairs. I keep an eye on my two Mexican grand daughters as Mexico also has child predators just like the USA. But with one difference: The lifespan of a Mexican child predator can be measured in hours inside a reclusorio (prison).

Just talking about this gives me the willies. OK. Enough.

There are more burglaries in Mexico per capita than there are in the USA outside of USA big cities. Ensenada is no exception. Gated communities offer a level of protection but making good friends with your Mexican next door neighbors is better. Way better. Some folks put bars over their windows, and reinforced doors with dead bolts. Works OK if the house is not secluded. Living secluded may mean bringing on the need to have a few guard dogs. Secluded means just that - no nearby neighbors.

Also IMHO, violent crime is less in Mexico. Burglars may raid a home at gunpoint (rarely happens) but they do not savage the victim like what so often happens in the USA.

This is like conducting an informal chat about H1N9 influenza virus. Distasteful subject. Ensenada is safe. What I listed above are TIPS not red flag warnings.

-Greetings from Baja California Sur

Thank you mexbungalows!

I find Ens. pretty safe being a single female... I feel more antsy in a subway train in Paris or Berlin where anyone could easily do something. I would suggest though to drive your car or take a taxi if you go home late at night.....