Crafts stores? Jewelry supplies?

Hi everyone,

I have been looking around for craft stores in Riyadh but in vain. I like crafts & was looking for a a store specialized in crafts & especially jewelry supplies (beads, wires & stuff like that..)
I ve been to places like Jarir but they don't have all craft related stuff. Also someone mentioned this place called Al-marsam, but 90% of the stuff is for painters & I'm anything but a painter, unfortunately.

So any tips? & pls provide directions..

ive been trying to find a piece of jewelry with a JADE gemstone on it as a gift for the better half for our 35th, since last March, but to no avail. Any help will be useful. better late than never

I think Dira would be the right place to start looking.

Can you give me directions to this place?

Does anyone know what the Arabic word for ONYX is so I can ask around in Dira and buy the right thing instead of ending up with a piece of desert rock that has been cut and polished?

Try Al Mutanabi in Al Malaz Area (a group of shops) very famous in riyadh any taxi can drop u there.

Musicman Onyx in arabic is (Aqiq)

:)

Thanks so much Dodee. You learn something new everyday.

ONYX
The myth that for this gemstone originated from the body part of Venus, known for alluring beauty, justifies the stone's fine texture and lustrous black colour. Originally onyx is chalcedony quartz, which falls in the microcrystalline category. It is formed in the gas cavities of lava. This gemstone is basically a multilayered stone like agates and depending on the different coloured layers, onyx can be divided into a few separate categories. Generally, when the stone has a black base and a white upper layer, it is called Onyx. Some onyx displays white and lighter reddish bands or ribbons of silicon di-oxide against a brown background, this variety is known as Sardonyx. When the onyx has a red base, it is known as Cornelian-onyx.
The black onyx, the most popular among all the varieties of onyx actually is grey chalcedony. The rich black colour is the result of profuse chemical treatment. In order to bring out the black, the grey stone is saturated with a solution of cobalt chlorate and chlorammonium. Immersion of the stone for a prolonged period in a sugar solution and then heating in sulphuric acid to carbonize the sugar also leave the stone with a brilliant black colour. This stone has a moderate hardness ranking 6.5 - 7 on the mhos scale. Its texture makes it ideal for carving and is choice for material lapidary artists.

Further Information on the subject;
Gemstones names in different languages
Red Agate
Red Agate urdu, hindi and persian name is Aqiq Ahmer and is also known as Aqiq surkh. Surkh means red.
Carnelian
Carnelian urdu, hindi and persian name is Aqiq Ahmar and Aqiq Surkh.
Yellow Agate
Yellow Agate urdu, hindi and persian name is Aqiq Asfar and is also known as Aqiq Zard. Zard means yellow.
Green Agate
Green Agate is known as Aqiq Akdar and also called Aqiq sabz. Sabz means green.
Black Agate
Black Agate is known as Aqiq Aswad and also called Aqiq Siyaah. Siyah means black.
Eye Agate
Eye Agate is known as Aqiq Sulamymani.
Emerald
Emerald is known as Zamord in urdu, persian, hindi and Phustu. Phustu is spoken across Afghanistan and Pakistan. Emerald mines are located in Afghanistan and Pakistan. In Pakistan the well known mine is located in Swat in North Western Province of Pakistan now known as Pakhtunistan.
Sapphire
Sapphire is called Neelam in Urdu, Phustu, Hindi and Persian.
Ruby
Ruby is known as ruby in phustu, urdu and hindi.
Coral
Coral is known as Marjan in Arabic, Persian, Hindi, Urdu and Phustu.
Turquoise
Turqoise is known as firoza in urdu, phustu and hindi.
Garnet
Garnet is known as Yakoot in urdu, hindi, phustu and arabic.
Pearl
Pearl is known as moti in urdu, hindi and phustu.

So nobody has any idea, as to where I can go??

Happy shopping Musicman, I hope you find what you are looking for. And sorry for not being able to help.

Alisan,

On another forum, people were raving about a craftshop in Damman.  Do you ever get over that way?

That was a great lesson in gemstones, Aticus. Thanks very much. Learned so much in a few seconds.

I am not a great lover and admirer of gold, silver, gemstones, and jewelry in general. I dont even wear a wedding ring for the 36 years I have been married. I find jewelry rather clumsy on the body. I dont even wear a watch. Anyway, who needs one with mobile phones around. Isnt it stupid to wear a watch and also carry a mobuile phone? Thats like wearing two shirts or two pairs of pants at the same time. I guess some folks do?

Yes, I am looking around and will certainly try Dammam/Khobar if and when wed rive down there. My wifer has been patient for almost a year now (rare quality, but still exists on the planet in patches), but still keeps reminding me now and then. I am getting older, you know...?

Of course she knows I mean well and will curely try and get her the Onyx but I need to do it sooner rather than later in case the last train calls at my station. Or even hers.

Lets hope for the best, anyways.

@ Allie: Although we don't go all the time, but it would be good to know. It would be nice if you can give the link. I tried to look for it but couldn't find it.

OMG!  Now you're talking about dying, mm.  STOP IT!!!!!!:lol:

Oops.. turns out it was khobar.  Here is the exact quote:

"There is a shop in Khobar called Al Zamil and they have a huge range of arts and crafts materials."

I have no idea the exact address.

Good luck!

Death is the ONLY certain event in Life, aint it?

well.. in the States, taxes are MORE certain than death :lol:

lolz, thats interesting, you learn somethin new everyday. i havent paid a Halala of taxes over the past 30 years, except Zakat of course, Thank God!

hhhhhhh That's a good one Allie. 

Thanks for the info, actually we visit friends there. So maybe they can help with that.

so we can add taxes to the famous adage that asks, "what are the things in life that when u gotta do (go) u gotta do (go)?"

1. Death
2. Loo
3. Taxes

Not necessarily in that order

Not necessarily in that order

Taxes come first lol (because.. seriously.. when you die, you STILL have to pay taxes for what you made BEFORE you died!  This happy task gets left to your next-of-kin).

wow, i didnt know that. what bif they cannot afford to pay? do they go to the cooler? why should one person pay for anothers sins? doesnt sound very democratic to me. phew!

hey.. when it comes to the IRS (Internal Revenue Service), all of our 'rights' go out the window!

the irony is that TAXES are against the US constitution...and yet we are made to feel like we are criminals if we dont contribute to the tax fund...

BTW, just so Uncle Sam knows...I do intend to pay my taxes LOL

Allie -- even though we have tax free salaries in KSA -- do we still file a tax form abroad -- I am new to this.  Thank you!:)

I keep coming back because I think someone has an answer for my question!!!! I guess I am wrong..

sorry Alisan --

I will be arriving to Jeddah soon, and if I find anything there -- I will let you know :)

Well  I know I'll have to file since I did earn income in the US the first part of the year.

I'm actually heading back to the States in a few days (for some well deserved R & R) and this is one of the things I need to take care of.

so any update alisan?

I looked this up to find a craft store... and got educated on gems...Good learning.

I still want to know if anyone has any idea of store that supplies different kinds of paper for crafts as well as supplies like needles, Yarn and diff threads and cloth

Hello seek_15

Thank you for your participation on this thread, however kindly note that the latter has been inactive since March 2010!

Hope that some members will revert back and help you on your queries though!

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Hello,

I was wandering if you ever found a store that sold jewelry supplies?

I will be moving to Riyadh in August with my husband and son, and during my spare time I will be hoping to start soldering again and making jewelry. But if there isn't much there I will need to bring it with me.

I'd love to hear if you found anywhere?

Sarra.

Hey Alison give me call ***I think I can help

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security