Information needed about living in Pemba

Hi there,

I have been asked if I would accept a position with an oil and gas company in Pemba. I have been unable to locate any information about Pemba on the internet.

I would appreciate any information from anyone on the following:

Accommodations - availability of power and water supply

Food - availability; will you need to bring in items from outside the company as they are not available?

Activities after working hours, weekends?

For those with a spouse who is with you, what does she do to occupy herself?

Any fitness locations? My wife is a qualified Zumba and group fitness instructor.

Are the resorts as good as they look on the internet?

Am very interested to hear how life really is in Pemba?

Thank you

Welcome to Expat.com ronmackenzie123!

Hope that other members will soon share their experience with you.;)

Harmonie

Hi Ron

I am a writer from London who was contracted to lecture at the uni in Pemba.  I was there for two years returning to london a year ago.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  Do accept the offer and I will give u the survival tips.

Accommodations - availability of power and water supply:   

Yes but frequent cuts on both so you need powerful spot lights or candles.  Get storage plastics for water.  Where will you be staying?  Beach Hotel has a generator and it houses most of the oilgas expats but you may want a house.  Give me details.

Food - availability; will you need to bring in items from outside the company as they are not available? 

Not really, The supermarkets have all you will need but the top shop is expensive,  high quality stuff though.  If company will pay for shipment, then take all your stuff with you  as they will be very expensive to buy in town. ie blender,Tv,radio etc.  I got there with one suitcase and bought everything from there.  Since you will not need them on your way out, if you are not staying for more than 2 years, then dont waste the money on getting so much but still make your self comfortable if you need something. 

Two chemist stock all medicines but do watch out for required mls ie 1000, 50 20.  Check expiry dates too.  But they are generally good stuff so long as you know exactly what you should be taking.  No too expensive either.

Activities after working hours, weekends?

For those with a spouse who is with you, what does she do to occupy herself? Any fitness locations? My wife is a qualified Zumba and group fitness instructor. 

Yes, One but she can be a personal trainer for individuals.  Better still, she can take employment as a PT at the Beach hotel Fitness club.  The only five star hotel also housing most of the oilgas expats.  You will love it there.  Very English. She needs work permit.  She can also take up writing her experiences in a diary, online or as a book.  that will keep her busy inbetween swimming and housekeeping.  I will give her tips on where to shop. 

Are the resorts as good as they look on the internet?
Yes but it is what to do with it.  Pemba will remain one of my top locations for a short holiday.  How long is your contract?.

Am very interested to hear how life really is in Pemba?

It depends.  Tell me where you are from so that I can tailor my advice to suite you. The change will do you good for experience and you may love it.  Email me at [email protected]

regards

tina

Hello Tina,

Thank you for responding to my email.

When I prepared my request for information I was being considered for a resident position. This position has now being changed to a rotational position so my wife will not be spending time with me in Pemba as previously discussed.

When it has been decided if I am the one going to Pemba I will be in contact for information?

Thank you

Ron MacKenzie