Bahia de Caraquez

Does anyone have any experience in Bahia and/or the surrounding area? Hoping to visit Ecuador next winter to check out the country and thought I'd start with the coastal areas. How are things in that area from a safety perspective...any major issues??  Thanks!!

I know an American Dr. that lives in Bahia and I am sure he would be happy to tell you all about it.  Email me at [email protected] for his contact information.

I live in Bahia and feel very safe here.There is one short block by the ocean that isn't safe to go to at night but is fine in the day time.It is important not to look like a tourist, with backpack,computers,cameras,purses.There is definitley theft here as well as all of South America.
I put a few dollars in a pocket or carry a very small change purse.They are looking for an easy target and will leave you alone if they see that you aren't carrying anything.

You need to be more aware on holidays as there are more locals who come to the coast and crime seems to increase.

I have met a lot of very friendly and helpful locals and there are a lot more of them than there are thieves, but unfortunatley we hear more about the later.

Thank you both for the info. The area looks beautiful and I can't wait to see it for myself!!

Hi.
I am an expatriate, Canadian,and have been very actively living in Bahia de Caraquez for the last 4 years.
Let me know if you have any more questions or concerns about Manabi.
[link moderated]

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

Hi Fernando,

Great web page!
(moderated: off topic)

David
Bahia Bed and Breakfast
[link moderated]

thank you for complementing my webpage pal

:offtopic:

Hello, can you concentrate on the initial topic please. Thank you.

do you know anything about a new development there called Las Olas  also how is the health care there..thanks

Hi Gene,

Yes I know a lot about Las Olas the owner is a good friend of mine and also Canadian.
Plus Bahia is very small so it not hard to learn all about the projects and the developers.

what are people saying about the development?we are planning on visiting Ecuador in Nov and possibly relocating there ..we plan to state there at Bahia and travel to Salinas Las Olas appears to be a good fit for what we are seeking....how is the  health care there?

Hi, Iam Gene Holman and plan on visiting there in November ,we are looking to relocate from the states..I have seen promo for Las Olas ..can you tell me anything ABOUT IT  also anything about health care in the area ,also some recommendation on where to stay in Bahia..thanks

Hi Gene,

Health care is free in Ecuador for everybody. 

Las Olas is in Pajonal on the Ruta del Spondylus The location is fantastic. The Developer is great. I loved Pajonal so much that I actual bought land there for my future, home even before Las Olas bought there.

When your in town you can stay at my B&B, it is the only and newest accommodations built from scratch in Bahia de Caraquez. Most of the other places around here are just old renovated homes or garages. Some are nice, others not the case.

Sorry I though this was an Expat.com for Ecuador.

How did I get off the topic please since I am an expat writing about Ecuador,

Regards,
David

Sorry Moderator...I know this isn't my initial subject, however, since when is health care free in Ecuador????

Bahia is in Manabi and I know everything about it if you want suggestions for places to visit and good restaurants let me know

That has been always like that, but only at the hospitals from goberment

(Moderated: no free ads pls)

Hello from Mont Tremblant, Quebec, yes still Canada. My wife and I have looked very closely into every area possible by the ocean. Apart from Salinas, which is way too busy for us, Bahia seems ideal. Is it really as dangerous as everyone seems to indicate? I have never run into danger in Mexico, but then again we usually don't go far in the dark. We are considering staying there for 3 weeks in January 2016.  Looking for a place not expensive as we are both pensioners want a place on or near ocean for sure and of course safe. Whatever you can provide in any way at all, it will be much appreciated. Take care!!

Roberto

Rolllingstone wrote:

Bahia seems ideal. Is it really as dangerous as everyone seems to indicate?...We are considering staying there for 3 weeks in January 2016.  Looking for a place not expensive as we are both pensioners want a place on or near ocean for sure and of course safe.

Not everyone is calling Bahía dangerous.  How supposedly dangerous is it, and according to whom?

Find lodging choices with rates and ratings at www.booking.com

cccmedia in Quito

In my opinion, Bahia is one of the cleanest, safest mid size cities on the coast. I'm building a house 20 minutes up the coast in Canoa, which has a nicer beach and is more of a surf destination. Bahia's beach gets a lot of silt and whatever other crud comes washing down the river, so if you're looking to walk on the beach it's great. If you're looking to swim you might want to be a few miles up or down the coast away from the river delta.

Hi Roberto,

I have lived in Bahia de Caraquez 5 years and work at a popular B&B amongst expats. This is the first time I have heard anyone say that Bahia is dangerous. In fact I believe it's the safest and cleanest city in Ecuador. I have actively traveled most of Latin America over the last 20 years, and have never felt threatened here. I can not say the same about most other places.

I am very happy to hear that. Marsha and I are considering staying there by the ocean early Jan 2016 for 3 weeks and travel a bith while there. We are both fluent French and English and now learning Spanish via Rosseta Stone. Thank you for this helpful info. Are the beaches clean for us to want to swim in?
Roberto

The beaches are the best for swimming, you will often hear this area boasts about no rocks, no reef, no rip tides, no sharks, stingrays or dangerous jelly fish. The water is very clean, you can fill a empty water bottle up with the ocean water and it looks as clear as drinking water.

Would you please provide us with the web site for your b&b. Thanks!