Driving License in Malaysia

Hello Friends,
Please tell me if International Driving Permit from India is eligible to drive in Malaysia or one must have Malaysian DL only.
Also please tell me how easy/difficult is to get Malaysian DL if one has Indian DL from last 10 years..
Thanks

For 3 months then officially you need to swap your licence (with a c as a noun - license is a verb!).

But as usual who cares many Malaysian myvi drivers have no licence and many buy a licence anyway!

ok dear..thanks for your early reply.
They are locals. they can manage w/o DL..but being Expat we should not take risk :)

Hi...go to JPJ and ask them whether can convert your India driving license to Malaysian's one.

Driving without license in Malaysia is an offense,so you must really care of this thing.

thanks to all for their replies :)

i have got the Malaysian DL with Rm800.. the process may take up to 3 months
make sure u pass the paper test plus the practical test too
:D

kunal, u can use your indian driving licence to drive in malaysia. i applied to convert my indian licence and i got a rejection letter from jpj (local road authorities) that i can use my indian licence. i even bought a car on the basis of indian licence :-)

@ carlyle1979
hehehehe...too funny yar..so means i shuld not apply for International Driving Permit in India ??

Hi Johan, I am glad you said this. It adds a lot of value when an Expat says it.

johan yee wrote:

Driving without license in Malaysia is an offense,so you must really care of this thing.

Kunal - Apply for International Driving License ... particularly useful if renting out a car.

you should be able to convert indian lisence.

ok for those who are looking to get the drivers lisence done in KL, here is my advice.

NEVER PAY THE DRIVING SCHOOL IN FULL... i did this mistake and my wife never got her license, they will decided when they want to take you for a lesson, not a convenient time for you. and will never listen.

Nothing against Malaysian Driving School, its just a reminder not to make the same mistake i made. My sisters and her friends got their with no problem.

Anyone let me know...how I change my P driving license to competence driving lucense(CDL)..
My P license going to expire this month...but my work permit also finished...
Im going to stay 2 months more in Malaysia

How about purchasing an International Driving Licence which is valid for 3 months?

do they allow driving with an intl. license?

do they provide with the car or the applicant has to rent a car for giving the practical test

Driving School or yourself will provide car.

The process is carried out at your nearest JPJ Office (some on this list may not be operating for public services, so ring ahead to check before you set out)

http://jpj.my/Malaysia_JPJ_Offices.htm

To those of you who wish to know how to change your “P” license to C.D.L. (Competent Drivers' License), the things required are:

i) Bring your MyKad or Passport.

ii) Supply 1 colour photo.

iii) Bring your “P” original license.

iv) 1 year renewal (RM30). Renewal can be made for up to 5 years.

v) Transfer can be done 7 days before expiry of P status or up to 1 year after expiry.

Thanks for your reply.
I have passport with Malaysian social visit visa status....Work permit expired on July 2013.Now Im visiting Malaysia just for pleasure trip.
So can I possible convert P to CDL license

You wont know unless you try.....

I want to knw bcos if it not possible to convert P to CDL in w
Visit visa status...then better I bring International driving license. ..but it also a little complicated to get...IDP.

Apart from getting a friend who speaks Bahasa to ring up and enquire with JPJ I don't see any way of finding out as it is an unusual situation. The only issue I can see is that you no longer have a valid residential address. I think you may have a problem getting an IDP as I read on the Malaysian AA website that 'P' license holders are not eligible to apply. That may strengthen your case with the JPJ.

I renewed mine 2011 and mo checks were made. I just provided my address and they gave it to me. Didn't check work permit