Aussie needing help with process of Visas/Residency Permits!

Hi, my names Tara and i'm an Aussie who is planning on moving to Malta. I am currently self sufficient and have income from the Australian government that is permanent so don't need to work ( but I may want to in the future) and would like to stay in Malta permanently.

I'm 38  and an Australian citizen and i'm trying to get my head around what visas/permits I need to get and the step by step process of how and when to get them.

Obviously i'm not an EU national so don't have the freedom of being able to move anywhere in Europe but I would like to make Malta my home.

I'm quite lost between the long term residency/OR residency/Permanent residency permit/ and...everything else, lol!

I really appreciate your help on this and I hope that some day I can guide others on this forum about living in Malta!

Here's a good place to start..

Loads to read here.........

haha :) i'm going through it all now! thanks mike :)

Have you ever visited Malta? I ask because it is tiny in comparison to Oz.

"tiny" Red - blooming miniscule more like.

I'll PM you a link covering the following

Non-EU citizen moving to Malta Q&A

1. Uniform residence permit for 3rd country nationals ("3rd Country National" = a citizen of a non-EU country)
2. do I need an accountant to apply for residency ?
3. do I need health insurance ?
4. can I work in Malta ?
4.1 How much is income tax ?
4.2 How much are social security contributions ?
5. where do I apply for my residency permit ?
6. where do I apply for my ID card ?
7.1 buying a property FAQ
7.2 selling a property FAQ
8. renting a property FAQ
9. Importing a vehicle FAQ
10. Do I need a visa to enter Malta, and where can I apply for one ?
11. What's the procedure for exporting/importing a pet ?
12. Can I use my driving licence in Malta ?
13. Long term residency permit
14. High Net Worth Individuals scheme

Malta * has made it difficult for non-EU citizens ** to reside in Malta for more than 4 years unless you go via the high net worth scheme (HNWI) which has a high minimum tax bill. However, the new government has said they will look to make it more attractive as so few have applied under it. The old permanent residence scheme is no longer available to new people, and was replaced by the HNWI scheme

* along with many other EU countries
** unless married to an EU citizen

Redmik- yes I have and I love it :) I'm actually in a small town in Canada at the moment and I've lived in quite rural areas in Australia. It doesn't bother me about the difference in size :)

Georgeingozo - thank you for the link! I'm checking it all out now :)