Thinking about moving to Puerto Rico

I need to find out the best area in PR to move and work. I am 40yr old female with teenage son. I need to know about job availability and affordable housing. Anyone who lives there especially those who moved there from US please respond with information.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you

Welcome on Expat-blog einaej!

I have moved the thread on the Puerto Rico forum. I hope another member will be able to help you.
Here is the Puerto Rico expat network where you can have some contacts.

Good luck
Christine

Hi

I would say that it depends what your priorities are. Close to beach, close to San Juan, schooling, close to potential employment. The cheapest property is in the center of the Island, the best beaches are probably in the west (although Fajardo is very nice).

Nicky
doradochiropractor.com

I am lived for 25 years in Albuquerque New Mexico which has a strong spanish culture and likely a better economy than any place outside the USA.  My opinion is why would anyone want to leave the USA in a terrible economy?  Much less their support system and home state?  Yes, rich people can do whatever they want but us normal folks need to make livings and why put ourselves in terrible job situations?  If you want to blow your savings go to the best hotel in your homestate for a month or a spa for a month or you and your son take a summer house in Madrid.  We all need to earn a living and why disadvantage ourselves by moving somewhere where we would earn less and maybe never be fully employable other than an adhoc english teacher living off savings and dreams.  Better go to a nice place in the USA with full advantages of employment and language if your are itching for a new start.

well hey, seeing as ive been here for the past 2 months, and im from Florida, i do have a strong Spanish background but other than that i feel like an outsider here, and i'm making the best of it, i have a job doing construction and i'm hoping to get a second job here in a week or so. Anyone can make it anywhere if they try, even with all the unemployment around. Being a 'normal' folk as you put it isn't enough, work your ass off, make sacrifices, and that will pay off. I came here barely knowing a lick of spanish, now i'm just about talking like most of the Boriquas around here.

People are trying to make livings however they can, im happy to say that im starting to pay off some of the debts that ive had for over 3 years thanks to coming to this country. And as much as ive wanted to fly back due to some attitude issues ive had with natives, im still here, battling it out, ignoring the ignorant.