Child born in Malaysia

Dear All,

I would like to know what is the nationality of a child who born in Malaysia if his father is foreigner while his mother is Malaysian?The father is currently holding MM2H visa.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

That is a sticky one. If born in Malaysia though my understanding CAN be registered as Malaysian and foreign national until 18 years old.

Then child has to decide one or the other.

Can be foreign + PR.

The sticky situation is when born abroad, I know years ago if mother Malaysian then NOT Malaysian as had a friend in that situation. Even getting PR was hard and not automatic.

As always get proper legal advice on that one. Birth should be immediately registered for IC - that is obvious.

Hi, check this out: http://www.jpn.gov.my/en/Citizenship%20

Yes Joyce but this being Malaysia actual practice is different to what is written down! Real life is that man is Malaysian easy, man is foreign harder. Not written down in law. But happens. certainly Malaysians born abroad with female mother have real issues and my friend had to fight hard with lawyers to get PR fir her kids and nationality was told never as Canadian husband!

The safest bet is to immediately register a child as Malaysian citizen at birth.

from a Malaysian mother and foreign father , if your child is born in Malaysia , he has the right to get the malaysian nationality as well as yours(if your country allow double nationality or more)

if born outside malaiysia he can't get his mother nationality

I am no expert in citizenship or nationality related matters. But I  understand the following - by reading the link: http://www.jpn.gov.my/en/Citizenship%20

a) Child entitled for citizenship if born to a Malaysian father inside or outside of Malaysia

b) Child entitles for citizenship if born in Malaysia & if either parent is a Malaysian (at the time the child is born)

c) Child is not entitled for citizenship if born outside of Malaysia & if the father is not a Malaysian (I think this is what applies to your friend, Nemo)

& zzchan, if a Malaysian has two or more nationality, by law, his/ her Malaysian citizenship can be revoked.

Anyway, do not take my word like Bible truth. Please refer to some proper channel like 'Jabatan Pendaftaran Negara (JPN)'.

Thx all for your advice and feedback..very much appreciate.

Hi All,

I have one more concern, can get malaysian citizenship if child born in malaysia but parents are non malaysians(couples who came from other country and working here)?

Thanks,

johan yee wrote:

Dear All,

I would like to know what is the nationality of a child who born in Malaysia if his father is foreigner while his mother is Malaysian?The father is currently holding MM2H visa.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

According to the citizen law. If either one of the parent is Malaysian Citizen or Malaysian PR then the child are entitle to register as Malaysia. Provided they are married according to the law and will had to provide the Marriage Cerfiticate later. The child are also entitle to foreign citizen as one of the parent but the right of the citizen are only entitle to one. As most country does not accept dual citizenship

gpmsworld wrote:

Hi All,

I have one more concern, can get malaysian citizenship if child born in malaysia but parents are non malaysians(couples who came from other country and working here)?

Thanks,

For your question. The answer is no. It is required that one of the parent of the new born child had to be a Malaysian in order for their child to be Malaysian. But if both parent are foreigner to procedure for the new born child to be acceptted as the nationalities as the parent would be much more trouble

Hi it used to be (might have changed recently) that if the Malaysian was the mother and the children were born outside Malaysia they were NOT entitled to Malaysian citizenship. Happened to a  Malaysian friend. Her kids are foreigners in own country although eventually they got PR.

Dear all,
We are from Bangladesh living here as international student (BSc program). On March 2015 our daughter born at Kuala Lumpur General hospital. We have arranged Malaysian Birth certificate and Bangladeshi passport for her, now the problem is how to get long term visa or pass for her according to her mother or father. We don't want citizenship for her, we just want her to live with us as long we are staying here. Can anybody tell me where to go to get the visa or permit and what will be procedure for this?

Immigration obviously!

Hi there Im a 36 year old chinese male singaporean. My dad is a malaysian citizen. Can i still get a malaysian PR or citizenship? Thanx..

Hi,

I am a Malaysian, can my kid get Malaysian citizenship if my gf born in kid in Malaysia?Due to some issue we don't have enough time to register our marriage yet.

Thks
mike

I don't think so. The child will get the nationality of its mother because you are not married.

What if my gf born the Kid in Vietnam,then somehow we get our marriage paper done after 3 months the Kid born,do I still have time to request the Kid to become Malaysia citizenship?
Thks

Perhaps you can join this FB group for further information. Foreign Spouses Support Group https://www.facebook.com/FSSGMY/

This article explains http://www.themalaymailonline.com/malay … 0Wtg5Py.97

Hi
My husband is a PR of malaysia and myself staying in spouse visa but I got offer and applied for employment pass. Now I am pregnant so what will be my child's nationality. Whether my baby can get IC?
Please some one rply soon.
Thank you.

See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysi … nality_law

Yes they can be reg as a Malaysian citizen but note after 18 you cant be a duel citizen.

Baby will take father's nationality. Not Malaysian nationality. The PR rules are a bit different so need checking when and if the child will get PR. Please join the Facebook group Foreign Spouses Support Group for further details and experience.

Gravitas strangely Malaysian law does allow a baby born in Malaysia when one parent is either a citizen or PR to have nationality. Weird I know but its in the statute.

As always the best place to ask is the actual government office that registers births.

So what is your point Nemodot - we agree 100% about nationality.

So PR status for the child is the only next question.

No baby will get citizenship. So doesnt need PR??

Here's the contact to the FB Group - https://www.facebook.com/FSSGMY/

I am not a Malaysian citizen and neither is my wife. Both our children were born in Gleneagles Hospital in KL. Both children have Malaysian birth certificates and both were registered as British citizens and have UK passports and both have Indonesian citizenship with Indonesian passports too. We are very happy with this situation and wouldn't want them to become Malaysian citizens even if they could. Obviously one day we will need to decide with the kids if they want to continue as British or Indonesian but still a long time until that time comes.

Nemodot wrote:

Gravitas strangely Malaysian law does allow a baby born in Malaysia when one parent is either a citizen or PR to have nationality. Weird I know but its in the statute.

As always the best place to ask is the actual government office that registers births.

This my understanding as well from some friends (Malaysian citizen wife, and American father) if and only if the child is born in Malaysia he/she can receive Malaysian citizenship (and American since the father is American. But if the child is born outside Malaysia then no. I've known several women that left the US to return to Malaysia in order to give birth in Malaysia for that reason.   I don't know about if the father is Malaysian, and mother not what the rules are (actually don't know too many Malaysian men married to foreigners, much more the other way).

In this scenario, neither is Malaysian.

Then no status in Malaysia, at least one parent must be Malaysian.

Hi ,me and my husband both foreigner from Bangladesh ...here we working ,baby born in Malaysia ,get Malaysian birth certificate..but we are planning to go Bangladesh for some days than again come back Malaysia ,for this purpose baby need what document go Bangladesh and again come back Malaysia ...can anyone help plz ...

You need to get a Passport for the baby at your High Commission in KL.

After that you apply for a Dependent Pass at Malaysian immigration under the professional Employment Pass one of you holds.

Then you can leave and re-enter Malaysia.

HC One help line number: +60162747917

But we have not professional visa normal rehiring program visa ,so how

You can't have dependents on Foreign Worker EP.

You need to call the HC help line number given above.

Once you get the child's Passport he/she must leave the country, as there is no visa available in Malaysia for the child.

Hi,I call no one answering ...busy now ......plz help me ...I just want baby stay with me .....plz help ....

But why have no visa for baby ? We work here .....give money for visa right ? Why no advantage ......

If go Bangladesh than how come again Malaysia ...

Tourist visa can for child.

It's just the immigrtation rules for Foreign Worker employees

Hi ,so if baby go Bangladesh with us than possible to come by baby  tourist visa ......

I think after comeback Malaysia we apply for professional visa than no problem