Shipping Car from USA to Abu Dhabi

My husband and I are moving to Abu Dhabi. My car is less than a year old. If I'm unable to sell it back to the dealer or a private buyer at a decent price, we'll consider shipping it to AD. If you shipped your car, please let me know how much it cost, the condition it was in when it arrived, and if you would do it again or would you have leased in AD? Any other information you'd like to share that would be helpful is appreciated.

Hi dizzyexpat, from what I heard you cannot ship your car unless it is totally paid for.  In addition, it will cost a lot in storage fees, customs and you have a pay a tax on the vehicle.  I was also told that the cars built for the USA are not built for the desert.  In all from the info I have gathered, shipping a car built for emissions in the USA would cost more than its worth to rent/buy/lease a car there.  have you considered a voluntary repo?
Are you planning on accepting a teaching or administrative position?

Hi flimbric2, I may accept an administrative position. Thank you for your response.
I haven't done much research on this. If someone attempted to ship their car with a loan balance, please let me know the outcome.

Who did you interview with? I interviewed with teach away in early March...

well if you havent paid for it yet, you cant export it.

as far as american cars running here, dont worry. they run fine.  Unless they were bought in north north america where their ac compressors are smaller.  but the atlanta climate would have warranted larger compressors.

customs duty is 4% of the value of the car.  shipping costs by sea are around $1000 for a 20 foot container and you can fill it up with other stuff apart from the car.

other clearance costs and insurance should be less than a couple of hundred dollars at most.

Wow thank u ..there's so much to learn and so many bases to cover.

I've shipped my 2013 Explorer last month, cost me $ 2800 to ship to AD and another 2% tax here, it took about Five weeks for the car to arrive, cheers.

Damas1 wrote:

I've shipped my 2013 Explorer last month, cost me $ 2800 to ship to AD and another 2% tax here, it took about Five weeks for the car to arrive, cheers.

Hi there, would you mind sharing what shipping company did you use?

Not a good idea to spend money on shipping a car from USA, to a place where cars are available with many options and competitive pricing.  Waste of time and money.

Hi everyone,
I just joined this forum as I plan to move to AD in July for California. I am debating whether I should bring my car or not. I have a relatively new Toyota Venza which I like very much.  It will cost me about $2500 to ship to AD, but I don't have to worry about car payments.  Apart from the shipping costs, do you think it is a smart idea to bring the car to AD? I don't think that Venza is commonly used in the UAE, should I be concerned about service? I appreciate your thoughts.
Thx

It is a dumb idea to bring your car from another country to UAE.  Not worth it

I'm from Florida & now in Abu Dhabii shipped my 2014 Honda CRV paid cash for it here paid 2% when I got it into UAE but I had it air cargo so I paid a but more to ship but only thing is the warranty isn't valid in this country. My new UAE license plate did not fit they made put on & take off my Florida plate. I had to drill holes on the UAE plate to fit the US vehicle & Honda here didn't not have plate adapter for it. Was not worth the hassle but I can sell it for more than I paid for it.

Once you start shipping cars to Dubai and Abu Dhabi you appreciate the business .
usgshipping.com/index.php/asia/shipping-to-middle-east/shipping-to-uae-from-usa/shipping-to-dubai-from-usa

I have an export broker neighbor who suggested I send my convertible mini cooper to AD. I live in AZ so I know it handles that weather. It is completely loaded and an eye catcher. He said that the resale value is higher there for cars actually from America. Any clue out there?

Also, anyone with Teachaway? I have accepted a job with ADEC and I do not recall (or see) compensation for resettling. Did you bring anything with you, sell it, store it? What about teaching supplies? Bring it or sell it? Is it easy to purchase materials there or did your school provide materials and an allowance for classroom purchases?
Were you placed (housing) close to your school?
Thank you!!!

I'm unsure about the values in UAE, but shipping there is pretty cheap from the states. According to this car shipping calculator (wcshipping.com/international-car-shipping-to-united-arab-emirates) it's only around $1,000 dollars to ship in a shared container to Jebel Ali. But then again that doesn't take into account the import taxes and transportation to/from the port.

Regarding the cost vs. hassle, I was thinking of bringing over our 9 year old SUV. Paid for and the dog fits well in the back! The shipping quote was about $1250, 5% duty would be about $400, and marine insurance another $110 or so. Plus other customs fees.I know that many vehicles are available in Abu Dhabi, but wouldn't importing for a $2000 one-off fee be better than having car payments of say $500/AED 1835 per month?