Possibly buying property on Ambergris Caye but worried......

My husband and I are seriously considering purchasing land in a new subdivision on Ambergris Caye.  We are going the first week of May to see the property. Please, truthfully, what is the crime rate like.  Reports say that Belize has grown to #1 in all central american countries.  I live just outside of Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.  Last week there was a 100 car pileup where I live.  Tired of the winter. Thank you for any help on any topic respecting crime, moving, etc.

Welcome to Expat.com renegade1465!

Hope that you'll soon be enlightened.;)

Harmonie

Thank you so much!

We just purchased a lot in Consejo shores on the mainland by Corozal.  We were on Ambergris and LOVED it!  If we thought we would be just going to Belize for a couple months a year we would have bought there instead, but our intentions are to eventually live there full time, hence the mainland.
   We were never bothered at all on Ambergris with theft/crime, but it is there, as anywhere.  Just listening to the news in Edmonton last night about the woman who drowned her two babies, larson fire burning out people on south side, 74 year old Walmart greeter pepper sprayed, guy spending weekend from hell in our hospital and the Mr. Big sting for the teens accused of shooting and bludgeoning couple east of Edmonton, and that was all on last nights news here!  I said to my husband it makes the petty theft in Belize look appealing.  Same everywhere, you just stay out of the districts you know you should not be in.

Hi, the crime on the island is not so bad.  You gotta be smart and responsible just like anywhere. I think the numbers look bad due to Belize city.  The real estate is probably the most dangerous so be careful. Enjoy your visit if you make it down. Regards, misty

Thank you very much and you're right. I don't even want to listen to the news here anymore.   Thank you

Thank you very much for the reply. You're probably correct that Belize City is probably the main component. Thank you very much for the response.  We fly there tomorrow.

Had bike stolen from me in Canada and same here felt same both places - sucks.

What I have personally experienced crime wise on Ambergris Caye has not been enough to make me consider moving, been here 7.5 years.

Good Morning Deanna.

We actually spent a week in Consejo Shores and loved every minute of it.  The community is almost all Ex-Pat's and they sure look after each other.  They have routines to travel over the borders each week, either a private taxi or they go by boat...and the one's traveling brings back whatever for the other.  They watch out for each other property and when traveling into Belize they give each other rides....Very tight nit and it works well for them....I met with several of the home owner's and never met more wonderful folks...Many of them are from Canada...Snow birds mostly.

I do have some pic and will share with you later.

I think you have found a wonderful place and know you cannot wait to get there....

Good Luck

Which sub-division are you considering purchasing land in?                                                                                  abelizehomeforus.wordpress.com